Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by EMAW
I suppose the same argument should be applied to the PMCO IE's that now have 1K status for life even though they may not be as active as they once were. However, most of us only use the IE situation as a an example of inequitable treatment and do not want to see anyone downgraded. I really don't understand arguments supporting downgrades for good customers whether or not they were PMCO or PMUA.

As has been stated repeatedly, success in business can be largely dependent upon fairness, good customer service, and ultimately reputation. While that may not currently be the case with UACO, some of us continue to hope that these issues will be corrected ethically rather than fooling with legal nuance, which could result in continued dissatisfaction and the loss of an important customer base.
I would draw a line between MM that don't fly any more and spouses/significant others that never earned the status...

MM fliers did what was needed to earn a benefit. They did and should receive the status promised. (Not going to argue whether the airline can take it away - they can and have - until someone successfully wins a lawsuit to say they can't.)

Spouses/SO - did nothing to earn status and should receive status.

Why should UACO treat MM fliers well? Simple - it shows all those still flying how their loyalty will be rewarded/treated. It makes good business sense to treat MM fliers well. The 10's of thousands of fliers trying to achieve MM are watching and can and do switch loyalty. (USAIR screwed me over 15 years ago, IMO. How did I reward them? By spending well over $100,000 with United and flying a million miles with UA.)

Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by Colo1K
Face reality. UA had the legal right to change its FF program and it did. Rewarding past loyalty and honoring long promised benefits has been deemed less important than the maximization of current profits.

Some of us got screwed more than others. I don't like it any more than the rest of you, but there is little we can do about it. We must each decide whether this breach of trust and reduction in FF benefits will drive us elsewhere. UA is betting that it won't. Is it right?
Good points. Are they right? In my case, no. Just got my "Welcome To The Medallion Status Match Challenge" email today. Not saying that I am going to 100% switch to Delta, but, I will be flying 26,000 miles with them to keep my options open next year.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ua653flyer
Im new and im sorry if i anger a couple of people,

But, I was looking at the new Million Mile program and I see that GS is at 4 Million Miles.
First of all I thought GS was an exclusive, high spending reward program and therefore not be a Mileage Plus level

Secondly In my opinion Lifetime Club Membership should be at 4 Million Miles and I guess since GS is the new top tier of Mileage Plus it should be at 5 Million miles.

If we are having these problems now with boarding, getting Economy Plus, Upgrades, Etc. Imagine what will happen in the future when more people become Million Miler Platinum, 1K, and Global Service... But I guess by that time all of the airlines would have merged together.
Considering it would take 40 years of earning 1K entirely on United metal (assuming no EQM bonuses) just to earn 4MMer, and that most people don't start flying that much regularly (if at all) until they begin their professional careers, I'm not going to begrudge the miniscule fraction of 4MMers who demonstrated decades of loyalty to an airline some top-tier perks in their retirement years.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 110pgl

Spouses/SO - did nothing to earn status and should receive status.
Did nothing? True, I will not argue the fact that a spouse or significant other may not have had their butt in an airplane seat but there is a lot more to it than that. A marriage or union of significant others is just that a union of 2 people. There are many hardships for them both, the separation is very difficult. A person who flies a million miles has spent a significant amount of time away from their spouse or significant other. My father did all his flying in the 60-80's before any million mile programs existed. I would bet he was very close if not well over a million miles. My mother had to deal with all the problems at home with 4 kids while he was gone. She earned her stripes for his million miles. And my wife earns her stripes for my being away so much. As does any spouse or significant other. So I applaud the airline for recognizing this and giving this benefit. The spouse/significant other definitely earned it. Where they dropped the ball was in the case of couples where both fly to earn their own status and possibly million miles and the people who have no significant other. This is one place UA could have shined by giving a choice, either the spouse benefit or CR-1's and you chose annually. I think it would have been better if the gave both but giving you a choice would have appeased a lot of the complaints on this particular issue. But the new UA chose not to do the CR-1's anymore and continue the CO benefit of nominating the spouse/significant other. It worked for CO. I think the backlash from UA fliers may have made them take a step back but to date they have not made any change to it. And if they have not recognized the backlash from UA fliers they have blinders on.

So I don't know how it will all work out in the end but my point is spouses and significant others have definitely earned it.

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Considering it would take 40 years of earning 1K entirely on United metal (assuming no EQM bonuses) just to earn 4MMer, and that most people don't start flying that much regularly (if at all) until they begin their professional careers, I'm not going to begrudge the miniscule fraction of 4MMers who demonstrated decades of loyalty to an airline some top-tier perks in their retirement years.
Well, there is one person on FT who does 4MM in about 4-6 years

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 23, 2012 at 2:08 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
This is a public forum, not a classroom for learning esoteric terms and functions of computer language or usage.

This forum is comprised, for the most part, of people from various walks of life with different life experiences and varying levels of education. In other words, most (but not all) of the people on this forum are reasonable ordinary fairly bright folks.

When it comes to reading a website such as united.com (or most any other website), we expect the language on that site to be REASONABLY clear and not “regrettable” and/or “confusing.”

If you want to flaunt knowledge of obscure computer skills and criticize others for not having the same level of skill you have, that will serve no purpose.

I could flaunt my knowledge of my profession and lose most of the people on this forum. If I did so, that also would serve no purpose.
-
Just pointing out the difference between recent and related. I guess I don't consider understand that as esoteric or obscure, but YMMV.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:19 pm

Say the Secret Word

Baze,

As a 40-45 week a year flyer for almost fifty years, I can relate to your father's situation. Many of my miles were pre-1981. And with a spouse and four kids whom I frequently deserted for the comfort of a jet plane and a cocktail, I'd never suggest that she wasn't a worthy recipient of whatever donation someone would like to make--although I'd point out again that UA is essentially giving to her even as it takes the present away from another flyer.

My point is that we BIS MMers flew with the expectancy that our loyalty would be rewarded by UA. Those to whom status greater than mine has been given had no expectation and did nothing extra-beyond being a loving spouse and mother- to earn it. For them it's like Groucho's duck coming down to say they've won the lottery.

Hope that makes some sense.

lf

Last edited by lf tom; Mar 23, 2012 at 12:22 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn

Just pointing out the difference between recent and related. I guess I don't consider understand that as esoteric or obscure - - -
It is when you present it the way you did.
-
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Colo1K
Face reality. UA had the legal right to change its FF program and it did. Rewarding past loyalty and honoring long promised benefits has been deemed less important than the maximization of current profits.

Some of us got screwed more than others. I don't like it any more than the rest of you, but there is little we can do about it. We must each decide whether this breach of trust and reduction in FF benefits will drive us elsewhere. UA is betting that it won't. Is it right?
Lots of people claim a legal right to things, however if I sell you something and then change the terms of the sale later because I reserved the "right" in my T's and C's, then you can and should challenge that. Terms and conditions are not absolute. And when a company puts out information that directly contradicts its t's and c's, it cannot simply fall back on them.

And as to whether there is little that we can do about it, I'd say that people here are doing a lot about it. Not everyone sees appeasement as the way forward.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by oenophilist

Lots of people claim a legal right to things, however if I sell you something and then change the terms of the sale later because I reserved the "right" in my T's and C's, then you can and should challenge that. Terms and conditions are not absolute. And when a company puts out information that directly contradicts its t's and c's, it cannot simply fall back on them.
-
How interesting. In prior posts you challenged much (not everything) of what I wrote pertaining to my complaints about what the new UA management did in connection with demotions and breaching lifetime agreements.

Now, you seem to agree with the very posts you castigated me for writing previously. I must say I am pleased by your recent post.

Although I am pleased, I am a bit puzzled by the "about face" displayed.
-
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
I have acted as an expert witness on many occasions for my clients in an unrelated industry from the airlines. Consequently, I am quite familiar with litigation. Thank you for the unnecessary welcome.
-
obviously not judging by your response, maybe as an expert you were handled with more care. But that's how depo's go.

And as to whether there is little that we can do about it, I'd say that people here are doing a lot about it. Not everyone sees appeasement as the way forward.
this is true, but it's not the situation here. you were not sold anything besides a ticket. For buying that ticket and lots others, UA gave you something. There is a legal difference between a purchase and gift.

even if there wasn't there is still the t/c that you agreed to that stated UA can do what it wants with the MP program. Also, the industry standard is that the programs are tweeked on a yearly basis and also the MM program has been changed in the past.

The TX DTPA requires the action result from a consumer trasaction, so this action couldn't even be brought in TX.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: United (2MM, Former 1K), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Titanium))

Please don't confuse appeasement with abandonment/defection. I, for one, plan to do little future flying on the 'new and improved' UA. I fight for things I want, but I no longer want to do business with them.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colpuck
obviously not judging by your response, maybe as an expert you were handled with more care. But that's how depo's go.

this is true, but it's not the situation here. you were not sold anything besides a ticket. For buying that ticket and lots others, UA gave you something. There is a legal difference between a purchase and gift.

even if there wasn't there is still the t/c that you agreed to that stated UA can do what it wants with the MP program. Also, the industry standard is that the programs are tweeked on a yearly basis and also the MM program has been changed in the past.

The TX DTPA requires the action result from a consumer trasaction, so this action couldn't even be brought in TX.
The only time I have ever personally seen a line item charge for frequent flier miles was on car rental agreements. I personally have never seen a line item charge for frequent flier miles on an airline receipt.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:24 pm

Smile

Respectfully, I disagree. I buy my tickets on United with several expectations, based on promised made on the UA website...

I expect I will be placed in a queue for upgrades
I expect that my miles will accrue and I will be able to use them for free tickets in the future.
I expect that when I reached a MM I would receive Systemwide upgrades
I expect next year I will receive 6 global upgrades next year (assuming I reach 100k miles).
I expect that the rules may be tweaked, but that they will not just zero out my benefits.

Some of these expectations have not been met. My expectations have not been met.

Can UACO change the program without our consent for previously promised benefits? No one knows, despite the strong opinions here. That will be up to a judge. (And make no mistake this will go before a judge. Too many lawyers in the world not to. )
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Respectfully, I disagree. I buy my tickets on United with several expectations, based on promised made on the UA website...

I expect I will be placed in a queue for upgrades
I expect that my miles will accrue and I will be able to use them for free tickets in the future.
I expect that when I reached a MM I would receive Systemwide upgrades
I expect next year I will receive 6 global upgrades next year (assuming I reach 100k miles).
I expect that the rules may be tweaked, but that they will not just zero out my benefits.

Some of these expectations have not been met. My expectations have not been met.

Can UACO change the program without our consent for previously promised benefits? No one knows, despite the strong opinions here. That will be up to a judge. (And make no mistake this will go before a judge. Too many lawyers in the world not to. )
What you expect, what you are entitled to as a matter of law, and what UA has graciously given you are three very different things.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:36 pm

What you expect, what you are entitled to as a matter of law, and what UA has graciously given you are three very different things.
If UACO cancelled the MP program and zero'd out everyone's miles, and kept pricing about the same, I would theorize they would see a mass exodus of elite fliers to other carriers. If true, the program IS a part of what we are buying when we buy a ticket.

What we are entitled to is EXACTLY the debate. And as I said, only a court can say for sure. The rest is opinion.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:18 pm
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Originally Posted by Fredd
"What will happen to my Million Miler Program lifetime status and Continental Infinite Elite status benefits? Will I continue to receive them in the future?

You will continue to receive your benefits as you always have. Lifetime elite benefits will continue in the single, combined program, which will be announced by the end of 2011."
Hint: Try to find any lifetime benefits, let alone those that "continue."
I'm fully aware of the other FAQs -those which some aver they relied upon in forbearance of other travel alternatives in order to 'lock in' the benefit package represented there. Those have been called the 'smoking gun.'

That said, look carefully at this one, which I don't think I've seen before, and note the following:

1. The subject of the question is compound: it is both MM and IE. The question is whether those two groups would continue to receive their benefits in the future.

2. The answer to the question is affirmative; those two groups will continue to receive their benefits. But, does it say they will necessarily continue to receive the benefits extended under the legacy programs? No. In fact, this FAQ denies that necessity on its face. Instead, it says that the lifetime benefits under the new program would be announced no later than the end of 2011.

And Fredd, yes, there are lifetime benefits under the new program.

Premier status is one. Whether that remains at the current *G level for all MM tiers in the future is a source of concern to some, but there is a promise of Premier status nonetheless.

Another is lifetime status, annually matched subject to the minimum level for the MM tier earned, extended to another, closely associated person, even while the 'lifetime' is that of the MMer, and not the other person.

Just sayin'...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.