Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I wonder - if my spouse is a MM (but never gets higher than Gold), and I as a sub-MM (for another 5 years or so) stay 1K, can she match up to my status level (on an ongoing annual basis, as long as I stay 1K)?
Nt according to the rules -- because the match is given from the MM to the spouse, not the other way around.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
That is not true. If one of you earns a level higher than the lifetime level you can nw designate the other one to have the same status.
You missed my point. For couples who fly together, there will never be a time when one has a higher level. So, instead of both people earning the upgrades upon attaining a MM level and annual MM gifts, neither one gets anything.

I know this is a small segment of the population, but it is a devaluation for those people. It's also a devaluation for people who don't have a spouse or SO, as they lose their gifts for no benefit at all.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You missed my point. For couples who fly together, there will never be a time when one has a higher level. So, instead of both people earning the upgrades upon attaining a MM level and annual MM gifts, neither one gets anything.
Sounds like it's time for one of the partners to start crediting to a different program!

My question is what is the definition of "significant other." I too have a spouse that earns their own status. Being able to bring my child up to our status level(s), though, would be a tremendous benefit and make clearing upgrades for the family a heck of a lot easier!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:20 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
So do I understand this correctly?:

Lifetime CO EQMs will be combined with Lifetime UA EQMs in the Spring, and then going forward only UA/CO metal flights will count towards MM status?

I have NO idea what my lifetime EQMs are on UA - didn't know this was even tracked.

Seems like good news. ^
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Sounds like it's time for one of the partners to start crediting to a different program!
It still pays for both of us to get RPUs and GPUs, but there is simply no MM benefit.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Loss of upgrades + blatant discrimination against single people....

Originally Posted by UA Insider
....Million milers will be able to designate a spouse or significant other to always have the same premier tier as them (this includes when the million miler member earns a higher tier). The spousal premier benefits will be identical as the member, except they will not include RPUs and GPUs. This spousal benefit will replace the one-time and annual upgrade gifts, and hopefully you’ll agree this is a better deal.

Are you kidding? A better deal??? Not for singles!!! But then, discrimination against single people is par for the course.

According to the U.S. Census, a full 43% of Americans over age 18 are single (which includes never married, divorced, and widowed). I don't know what the stats are for Mileage Plus members, or Million Milers, but I'm willing to bet that a very substantial percentage of your MMs will NOT be happy at losing the upgrade gifts, and adding this kind of unfair treatment for us singles really is a complete outrage.

Having been a member of MP since 1981 and finally approaching MM status only to be slapped in the face.....

BOOOO, HISSS....
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Wait, it says significant other. So singles benefit IF we can make an annual change to whomever that significant other is. Actually with divorces, this is critical for married people too. And for guys who like their mistresses to travel with them. Or vice-versa.

But for me, the way bigger issue is the UA EQM's back to program start date. I'm a 1MM who has been with United since the 80's. I think I might become a 2MM with this change, right?

Actually I might be a 3MM if this also counts all the LH flights I took that were UA codeshares. And what about all the other Star flights I took that got credited to my MP account. Do those old EQM's count too?

I just had a thought under the significant other category. What about giving lifetime status to one of our children? That would be a heck of a college graduation present!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 21, 2011 at 1:44 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Curious how they will back-date my EQM from UA (especially whether CC EQM, DEQM, COS EQM, Elite Choice EQM will apply).

For the Spouse/Sig-Other benefit... just name a different friend every couple of years! Or change it as often as you change your flying companion! You can't really be disappointed about not getting a carved iPod.... skip a flight and go buy one!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by stimpy
But for me, the way bigger issue is the UA EQM's back to program start date. I'm a 1MM who has been with United since the 80's. I think I might become a 2MM with this change, right?

Actually I might be a 3MM if this also counts all the LH flights I took that were UA codeshares. And what about all the other Star flights I took that got credited to my MP account. Do those old EQM's count too?
From my read, you can construct a quick lower bound by taking the qualification amount for your status level for each year. I.e., if you've been 1K for at least 10 years, you'll be at least at 1MM by the new formula. Obviously this is of no help for those who routinely smash through their qualification barrier.

Personally, I'm expecting about a 33-50% bump in my lifetime miles given my usual fare class/travel mix and the number of DEQM years they've run lately. I expect GS and the like who routinely fly paid C/F will experience tremendous upticks.

Originally Posted by stimpy
I just had a thought under the significant other category. What about giving lifetime status to one of our children? That would be a heck of a college graduation present!
See my post above.

And college graduation present? Heck, I'm thinking my newborn would appreciate a 1K card to start life.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 21, 2011 at 1:45 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I expect GS and the like who routinely fly paid C/F will experience tremendous upticks.
That's what I'm talking about! I think I did at least a half million miles on LH codeshares in business class back in the 90's. And an awful lot of SQ miles too, but although they were credited to MP, those weren't on a UA codeshare.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Are you kidding? A better deal??? Not for singles!!! But then, discrimination against single people is par for the course
Everyone's situation is different.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: UA, previously of CO.
If the rules stay the same for the merged airlines as they were for CO, you can't add your children to the SO benefit. However, I'm sure there is a way around it. The wording states that you can add your significant other that resides at your same address... I was added to my fiance's account before we were married since we were at the same address. Unless they are going to check marriage licences or something of that nature, then I don't know how they can really prove that your child is not your significant other. I guess they would know the birthdates though, so it could look pretty obvious if you were adding a 12 year old as your spouse....

You can also only change your SO designee once per year, so I suppose a divorcee could add their new SO the next year (I think it is in April...)
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: OVER ENTITLED United 1K 2MM HHonors Diamond ICH Club Platinum Marriott Gold
All in all I'm pretty happy. For those looking to stretch the significant other...they do have to live with you...so your addresses have to be the same. Just saying.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
new youngest

See my post above.

And college graduation present? Heck, I'm thinking my newborn would appreciate a 1K card to start life.
we could now have a new YOUNGEST 1K thread and winner!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/...onMilerProgram

Million Miler companion benefit.
All 2012 Million Milers will be able to share their lifetime status annually with a spouse or significant other.
Starting September 26, 2011, every MileagePlus Million Mile Flyer can go to http://www.mileageplus.com/thanksamillion to nominate this special person, whose status will take effect with the 2012 MileagePlus program, late in the first quarter of 2012.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.