Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You sure about this one?
That is correct. 2MM lifetime gets lifetime Platinum and 2 RPUs annually unless they already earned them by flying 75k PQM in the previous year.

3MM lifetime gets lifetime 1K and 6 GPUs annually unless they already earned them by flying 100k PQM in the previous year.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Baze
Wow, one day short of a full 12 months.
Hey, they're no longer valid for a full year, that's the truth. PMUA used to give you the benefit of the doubt and give you a bonus partial month. Guess those days are gone.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
That is correct. 2MM lifetime gets lifetime Platinum and 2 RPUs annually unless they already earned them by flying 75k PQM in the previous year.

3MM lifetime gets lifetime 1K and 6 GPUs annually unless they already earned them by flying 100k PQM in the previous year.
It is in post 494 of the Million Mile sticky thread.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey, they're no longer valid for a full year, that's the truth. PMUA used to give you the benefit of the doubt and give you a bonus partial month. Guess those days are gone.
I see your point.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Not all the decreases in passenger loads will be attributed to the demotions but it is a sure bet that the demotions will be the main reason.
-
^^ What UA apparently doesn't realize is that they have created a huge incentive for me to fly AA if I don't think I can reach 1K for next year. If I can't, I'm much better off making sure I hit 50K on AA than 50K or 75K on United.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Baze
It was posted by Shannon elsewhere. Of course I would take it with a grain of salt, none of the adjustment has gone exactly as Shannon said it would.
One small benefit I guess, no consolation to PMUA MMers though.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Just to be clear myself, I'm not terribly unhappy with the changes since I'm one of those people who do highly value the spouse benefit. Also, my "retirement" benefit, now pretty much guaranteed to be Platinum with 2 annual RPUs, isn't all that much different from the Premier Executive plus 2 annual CR1s that I was originally promised.

What bothers me more is what I perceive to be a continuing pattern of poorly thought out cutbacks that make me (and many others) less happy with our current traveling experience without really making others happier or adding to the airline's bottom line. Eliminating the few annual upgrades for MMs like me and only giving them to higher-level MMs when they wouldn't already qualify is just another example of their illogical thinking, right up there with the nonsensical new Elite Access system that tries to make everyone special.

If you told me that most of the new executives started out with Peoples Express, I'd believe it!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joel67

If you told me that most of the new executives started out with Peoples Express, I'd believe it!
well, at least one of them did.

Frederick (Fred) C. Abbott
Senior Vice President Flight Operations

Fred Abbott is Senior Vice President Flight Operations for United, the worlds leading airline. In this role, Abbott serves as the airlines chief pilot and is responsible for developing and implementing pilot contracts, policies and procedures. Abbott also maintains his status as a Boeing 777 captain.

Abbott most recently held the position of Vice President of Flight Operations for Continental Airlines from 1994 to 2010, where he served as Continentals chief pilot.

In his time at Continental, Abbott held positions of increasing leadership including Chief Pilot at Continentals Newark and Houston pilot bases, and Senior Director of Flight Operations. He has also served as a Boeing 747 and 777 captain.

Previously, Abbott was a Managing Officer at PeopleExpress for six years, becoming part of the Continental team in 1986 when PeopleExpress was acquired by Texas Air Corporation.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by halls120

well, at least one of them did.

Frederick (Fred) C. Abbott
Senior Vice President Flight Operations

Previously, Abbott was a Managing Officer at PeopleExpress for six years, becoming part of the Continental team in 1986 when PeopleExpress was acquired by Texas Air Corporation.

I wonder how much, if any, this gentlemen had in influencing Smisek and Foland to massacre the UA side of the frequent flyer program, particularly the million-mile program.

One thing for sure, if there were a class on how to reduce incentive and loyalty from long-term customers, Smisek and Foland would receive a grade of A+ in the course. In fact, they could probably teach the course.

What a mess they have made to one of the former greatest frequent flyer programs in the airline industry.

Really, what incentive is there for million-mile flyers to strive to reach two million miles under the new program? Answer - - an increase of 25% in bonus miles. What a joke and an insult!
-
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really, what incentive is there for million-mile flyers to strive to reach two million miles under the new program? Answer - - an increase of 25% in bonus miles. What a joke and an insult!
-
To be fair - not like 2MM on PMUA was the cats pajamas. RCC for life nice but not fantastic except for domestic only flyers. And Plat in terms of fee waivers is better than 1P on PMUA.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be fair - not like 2MM on PMUA was the cats pajamas. RCC for life nice but not fantastic except for domestic only flyers. And Plat in terms of fee waivers is better than 1P on PMUA.
A lot of fee waivers, higher on the upgrade totem pole, guaranteed at least 2 CR-1's every year, 25% more bonus. There are incentives to go forward. Everyone just needs to decide if they are incentive enough. And always remember, the program can, and probably will, change again before you make it from 1MM to 2MM.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:54 pm

-
Hi UA-NYC:

Not to be picky - But -- - -

With the "adjustment" made to my account, I now have about one and one-half million lifetime miles.

Does the new UA management really think that I and others will pay thousands of dollars for future flights on UA or Copa for another half million miles solely to get a fee waiver and an extra 25% bonus miles?

As I and others have said, there is no longer an incentive to stay with UA.

If UA happens to be convenient to where I am traveling, so be it, I will fly with them and they will get my money.

Where I live there are other carriers that have non stop flights to where I fly most often while UA requires that I take a connecting flight and sometimes pay more for a flight to the same destination.

No, it simply is not worth the inconvenience to remain loyal to UA since the new management has made it clear that they have no regard for our ongoing loyalty.

I predict that I and many other million-milers will never achieve two million miles on UA unless the new UA management rescinds the discriminatory demotions made to the former million-mile program.
-

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Jan 2, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:57 pm

Hi UA-NYC:

Not to be picky - But -- - -

With the "adjustment" made to my account, I now have about one and one-half million lifetime miles.

Does the new UA management really think that I and others will pay thousands of dollars for future flights on UA or Copa for another half million miles solely to get a fee waiver and an extra 25% bonus miles?

As I and others have said, there is no longer an incentive to stay with UA.

If UA happens to be convenient to where I am traveling, so be it, I will fly with them and they will get my money.

Where I live there are other carriers that have non stop flights to where I fly most often while UA requires that I take a connecting flight and sometimes pay more for a flight to the same destination.

No, it simply is not worth the inconvenience to remain loyal to UA since the new management has made it clear that they have no regard for our ongoing loyalty.

I predict that I and many other million-milers will never achieve two million miles on UA unless the new UA management is either fired for incompetence or rescinds the discriminatory demotions made to the former million-mile program.
-
I disagree, there's far more incentive now. Very happy with the changes!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn

I disagree, there's far more incentive now. Very happy with the changes!
-
Of course, you can disagree.

Have you been reading this thread when incentive is discussed?

If there is "far more incentive now" that the 3 SWUs and annual 2CR-1s are discontinued together with the reduction of bonus miles to 50% and reduction in elite status for upgrades, then I would like to know what the "far more incentive" is.

Thanks for an answer, as I would really like to have a reason to stay loyal with UA.

Could there be something many of us are missing?
-
Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:22 pm

Of course, you can disagree.

Have you been reading this thread when incentive is discussed?
Yes, I've been reading.

If there is "far more incentive now" that the 3 SWUs and annual 2CR-1s are discontinued together with the reduction of bonus miles to 50% and reduction in elite status for upgrades, then I would like to know what the "far more incentive" is.

Thanks for an answer, as I would really like to have a reason to stay loyal with UA. Could there be something we are missing?
-
The reduction of bonus miles is not specific to the million miler program. There is no reduction in status, in fact there's an increase in elite status at 2MM!

2MM will still receive 2 CR-1s if they did not earn them in the previous year, and 3MM will receive 4 CR-1s and 6 SWU if they did not earn them in the previous year. Add to that the spouse benefit and the fact that it's now 1MM less (2MM rather than 3MM) to get fees waived, this to me all adds up to far more incentive to try for 2MM.

Previous to the changes, I was only looking towards 1MM and then had planned to diversify my flying. That's no longer the case. Now I'm going to shoot for 2MM (and possibly 3MM).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.