Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:41 pm
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
EQM only started in 2004?

CRAP. Most of my LH flights were 2000-2004...

Will UA be counting EQM from 2004 and after or will they go back earlier to capture *A partner flights?

Devil is always in the details....
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I have the feeling that since CO was accruing "EQM" miles and not just BIS prior to 2004, then the UA MP gross up would most likely have to go back as far as well - otherwise it wouldn't really be apples to apples, since the CO flyers would have had a leg up on getting to 1MM since THEIR dawn of time.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:06 pm

Just to clarify: Did CO include prior years' DEQM/TEQM promos in CO MM calculations?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Nice

IMHO, the change is positive to me personally.

I can now assign my wife or perhaps one of my kids the lifetime status.

On the one-time boosting of EQM, it will be a significant increase for me. I fly mostly Y/B + fares and *A carriers awarding fare-based EQMs for the past three years. Based on my own calculation, the boosting will be 500K+ for just 2009 through 2011. Now I will be close to 3 MM after the boost instead of being close to 2 MM. Now lifetime 1K seems to be within reach.

The only downside is the lifetime RCC will go away at 2MM level.

The point I am still unclear about is the benefit to the signigicant other. For example, I am a 1MM Flyer with GS status, does my assigned beneficiary also get GS designation?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Red face Worried that it will REALLY "come out in the wash"

Is anyone else worried about losing their MM status? I don't know what all was counted when I reached mine. I thought everything was - bonuses included. But in both cases, while I knew I was closing in, I was flying so much that the notice came as a (warm, pleasant, happy, thrilling, amazing, mind-boggling, ... ... ) surprise when it actually happened. But I hardly had time to gloat, let alone audit it. Soooo..... back to my first question. You?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I am not close to any of the levels, but I do like the sound of the benefits at the various levels.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:35 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12

I believe that the changes are a windfall for both UA and CO MMers, not just one half.
Of course you do, as a CO flyer...I too think this sucks. Everything has gotten better in the mileage program for CO flyers. NOTHING has gotten better for me...The 1K program and the MM program...

I was promised 2 confirmed regional upgrades annually "FOR LIFE" (paraphrasing, but that's the gist). I'm already getting shafted out of 4 of them annually with the 'enhancements' to the 2012 and beyond program. No, one year where I get 4 extras doesn't make up for it.

My wife is a 1K. She's 1/2 way to MM already and will make 1K this year again for 2012. Unless, heaven forbid, she loses her job or something, she'll make 1K again in 2013 and 2014 and will probably cross into MM territory on her own soon already.

Let me get this straight so I understand...I've got to compete with ULTIMATE 1K Lites for upgrades? I'm in the same pecking order, or perhaps worse if my fare class happens to be lower, than the spouse of a MMer who might fly 12,000 miles a year?

This BLOWS.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
All in all, I'd rather have the regionals on the old system than this 'generosity.'
As you can tell, you ain't the only one.

My dad is a MMer. He RARELY flies anymore. My mom is unable to fly. He LOVED those 2 CR-1s he received annually and used them very carefully. Not only do single people and real-1K-spouses get screwed, so do widows and widowers, and those that their spouse just doesn't fly.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is my reading right?
-- 3 SWUs for passing a MM milestone is gone
-- annual 2 CR1s for being a MM are gone
-- 2MM RCC for life is gone
Yep. I can maybe squint and see the RCC benefit being phased out. But what is the big deal about giving out an extra 2 CR-1s a year to your loyalest of customers? They're really getting cheap and petty here by cutting those out. And crossing a MM threshold is a pretty significant event in one's travel 'life'...I don't think 3 SWUs is that big of a deal--it's not like you can use them that freely anyway!

Scott, can UA throw something towards your loyal husband-and-wife teams that already earn 1K status on their own instead of just taking away yet another benefit? I'd think UA would really want to go out of their way to reward 1K husbands and wives, given what the household brings to UA, not penalize them. The suggestions for annual RCC or indeed getting CR1s or SWUs is a great idea!

I still stand by what I've said from the get-go. There has not been one change I like to the MP program since CO took over (sic)...It's been one downgrade and devaluation after another, and this, coupled with CO's upgrade companion policy taking over (like all other procedural changes have been CO side), it's another shot of bad news. I know the programs can't fit exactly for everyone, but at least make ONE improvement that I truly like.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
any word on Continental CHASE flexmiles?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Embarrassingly, and worse, I earned a Southwest Companion Pass in the CO => AmTrak => Choice (Hotels) Privileges => WN alchemy of a couple of years ago, but for the ensuing year I had no one to share it with, believe it or not. That was my own fault, of course. But I've also figured out that I love this - extreme travel - life, and I've never been so free and happy! (Many friends, just not one.) I suspect that there are others at the 1MM or 2MM stage similarly constructed, or, shall we say, socially conditioned.

But that was a lonely feeling that many people who have given United a million or two million or more miles of their business will be feeling for a looong time now. . . . . It's definitely a very nice benefit, but seeing that puppy through a window indefinitely does not leave a very good taste and it's not a one-off feeling. United, see how somewhat out of kilter it is?

So, being the active, rather than passive, type, I am going to make a run at making my son my "SO" as far as United is concerned. I still get some of his mail at this address; I'm not gay; and we're not married.

But they don't know that.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Firewind
Is anyone else worried about losing their MM status?
How could that happen? The old rules were the most restrictive in terms of what counted, the new adjustment is much more generous. Everyone's MM count will be flat or increasing.

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
I'm in the same pecking order, or perhaps worse if my fare class happens to be lower, than the spouse of a MMer who might fly 12,000 miles a year?

This BLOWS.
Here's the thing about people/spouses that don't fly a lot: they don't fly a lot.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by UA Insider
[*]Million milers will be able to designate a spouse or significant other to always have the same premier tier as them (this includes when the million miler member earns a higher tier). The spousal premier benefits will be identical as the member, except they will not include RPUs and GPUs. This spousal benefit will replace the one-time and annual upgrade gifts, and hopefully you’ll agree this is a better deal
THANK YOU, United, for this fantastic benefit ^ ^ ^
Now, the wife will no longer ask "why do we have to fly on United?"

Also, the new lifetime benefits for 2MM, 3MM, and 4MM will definitely motivate me to achieve those milestones (working on 2MM now)
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
The point I am still unclear about is the benefit to the signigicant other. For example, I am a 1MM Flyer with GS status, does my assigned beneficiary also get GS designation?
According to what UAInsider posted the answer seems to be yes.

I'm just waiting for the first "Marrying someone for lifetime GS Status" thread to pop up
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
I breathe a sigh of relief as it could have been worse. I will be sitting at 1.4MM come years end and do not have any idea whether I will reach 2MM when all the dust has settled following the realignment. As a SYD based international UACO flyer, keeping *G is by far the most important MM benefit. The spouse addition is definitely most welcomed by Mrs IainC. So all in all I am thankful for these gestures of recognition for my long loyalty to UA since 1989.

Last edited by IainC; Sep 21, 2011 at 9:38 pm Reason: typo correction
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Well United is basically the only airline I have ever flown growing up and now living in SFO, LAX and DEN. I have flown AA First to South America once and I loved it and on Continental over the past years which I have not enjoyed. I am a Premier Executive and purchase premium tickets regularly. I have remained loyal to United with all their changes, but I just purchased 3000 dollars worth of tickets for the holidays on American and just got their credit card as well after I saw the mileage plus changes. I loved their service, but I have had enough of the changes at United. I am not willing to spend more to fly United anymore. They do not value mid-level elites who do spend premium amounts of money, but may not travel quite as far in a year. I think I am the type of person they want to get rid of. I loved the friendly skies and will have fond memories flying connoisseur class, 727s from LHR to CDG and ATH, classic 747s as a kid to Asia, DC-10s to the Islands, but I think I am excited to fly American from now on in the future.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:00 pm

When will we get clarity around "effective spring 2012"? If I hit 1MM under the old united policy in February 2012, is that the old program or the new program?

Sorry, Scott. I spend too much time in United airplanes to have a significant other, so I don't agree with you that the spousal benefit is better than the annual CR-1s.

Last edited by boolean64; Sep 21, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.