Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Definitely better than expected.

Shame E+ is going away for Silver until T-24. There's got to be a way around that. Silver really is getting the shaft when you add the loss of luggage.

I must say though, very interesting way of doing Lifetime status. How practically will this be calculated (boosting UA BIS miles to include the EQM bonus)?

Also nice to see the expansion of EUA/UDU/CPU
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Major downgrade for 1P on mileage earning.

I've switched to Delta and will be staying with them. At least I can redeem my Skymiles for Amex gift cards.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by seat 13a
Expiry in 18 months?

Starting when?

Not so good for occasional TATL fliers...
Not happy either, but the expiration is from last transaction. Any activity WHATSOEVER on your account extends the life of the miles by an additional 18 months. (Fly, purchase miles, spend miles on flights, merchandise... will extend the life of the miles)

Originally Posted by gmitchs
hmmm....no mention of the minimum spend per tier level. I wonder if that has been dropped or will come in a later announcement. He did say these are the Top 12 issues so I hope they have given up on that idea. These changes are much better than expected. ^
I believe the revenue scheme was scrapped
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by seat 13a
Expiry in 18 months?

Starting when?

Not so good for occasional TATL fliers...
That has been the standard for UA for some time now, and it is ridiculously easy to maintain them if you go without flying for any extended period.

Originally Posted by gmitchs
hmmm....no mention of the minimum spend per tier level. I wonder if that has been dropped or will come in a later announcement. He did say these are the Top 12 issues so I hope they have given up on that idea. These changes are much better than expected. ^
I just read this over on the the UA website:

Also beginning January 1, 2012, to qualify for any Premier level, members must fly at least four paid flights on the new United (including Continental), Copa Airlines or Copa Airlines Colombia during a calendar year.
Taken from this page: http://www.mileageplusmergerupdates..../PremierTiers?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Sorry if this is mentioned, but does 75k earns RPU's?

Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:08 am

Difficult to understand why it was not possible for UA to calm the visibly upset FFers and posters in the other thread at an earlier stage Seems that the changes are sort of undramatic and anticlimactic. Or did our uproar result in changes to their original planning? We'll probably never know. UAInsider mentions the plan to limit miles with an expiration date of 18 months, but I assume that UA credit card members need not worry about expiration? At first glance and overall, seems to be something of a change we can live with
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:08 am

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Thanks Scott!

I do, however, have some follow-up questions.

1 - Will all fares earn at least 100% PQM's?

2 - Will the Elite Maximizer (I guess now the Premier Maximizer) still be around next year? If so, will that also be limited to achieving Premier Platinum like the Flex EQM's are now limited from the Presidential Plus Credit Card?

3 - At what level will there be no fees for award changes, standby, etc.?

Never mind on number 3...outlined over here:

http://www.onepassmergerupdates.com/...2MPStatusChart
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider
[*]Companion CPUs for all Premiers. Premiers at all levels will be able to extend their CPUs to one travel companion in the same reservation, including in the advance clearance window and with Y/B/M instant upgrades. This will happen automatically when the Premier reservation includes a single companion. In cases where there are more than two people in the reservation, or where the companion is in a separate reservation, the companion upgrade may be designated at the airport.

Scott O’Leary
Managing Director, Customer Solutions
United Airlines

Scott, I think there are some additional clarifications needed around this point.

As I understand your statement if the companion is on the same PNR they will clear at the time window of the Elite level of the person they are traveling with? What if it gets to the airport, will they clear with the Elite level or will they be at the end of the list, as it is done at UA currently?

If more than 2 people are on the same PNR will we still have to split the reservation? Although it sounds like you are implying that if this is the case we can't designate a companion for an upgrade until the airport which will be a disadvantage.

On a separate note it sounds like the MM program will now be based on BIS miles, will this include only UA or will partner flying also count?

With regards to Upgrade order, will the Y B upgrades include all paxs, or just elites on Y and B tickets

All in all I agree there are few surprises in this announcement. The mileage bonuses are obviously a bummer but the change makes sense. They weren't going to go back to the 100%+ bonuses for the top tier so the next option is to lower the bonuses for the 50k and 75k tier

Last edited by nova08; Sep 21, 2011 at 7:18 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Complimentary Global Entry for GS, 1K and Plat!!!

Wow...just saw this little gem. This is pretty outstanding IMO!!!

New Global Entry benefit.
Beginning in the second quarter of 2012, MileagePlus will compensate Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members for their Global Entry application. Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Later this year we'll provide details about how the compensation process will work.
The Global Entry compensation benefit will apply to new applications only and will have a maximum value of $100 USD every five years. Members with an existing Global Entry membership can take advantage of this benefit during their next renewal. The Global Entry program is currently available to U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, citizens of Canada as well as citizens of Mexico who hold a valid U.S. visa, and citizens of the Netherlands who are enrolled in Privium.
For detailed information on the Global Entry program, please visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website at www.globalentry.gov.
Taken from here: http://www.mileageplusmergerupdates....rogramOverview
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
^^ I will say that I was a bit worried (from the leaked details) but these are pretty good benes for this 1K. The lifetime status sounds fair, especially GS at 4MM I think that's cool. This is a "change I like"!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by edcho
Thank you for the update!
Originally Posted by JC1120
I'm happy with the changes.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Thanks for this. Seems a pretty good resolution to a number of thorny issues.
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
Wow! Those are changes I can live with!
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Thanks. Definitely better than expected.
Originally Posted by JetAway
Whew! Finally, some good news. Many thanks, UA/CO.
Ditto on all of these comments. I'm really very happy. We all knew that changes were coming, but these are changes I can live with. Great news.

Bruce
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I think it looks great!!! Seems they have taken the best of both the airlines -I'm not surprised ^
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Thanks for the update Scott! I can live with these changes.

Let the 2012 bookings begin...

SunLover
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:13 am

This announced program does a good job at locking in existing 1Ks, Plats, GS. The "rumored" program would have chased away quite a few.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
Originally Posted by UA Insider
  • Continental and United lifetime earnings will be combined. You all guessed that much, but the key will be how we do it. Continental’s lifetime earnings have been EQM-based, and United’s have been based on actual flight miles. Starting in 2012, the program will be based on actual flight miles, however, we will make a one-time adjustment on the United side to boost everyone’s lifetime earnings to EQMs dating back to the beginning of the program
  • Lifetime premier benefits for 1 million miles = Premier Gold, 2 million = Premier Platinum, 3 million = Premier 1K, 4 million = Global Services
  • Million milers will be able to designate a spouse or significant other to always have the same premier tier as them (this includes when the million miler member earns a higher tier). The spousal premier benefits will be identical as the member, except they will not include RPUs and GPUs. This spousal benefit will replace the one-time and annual upgrade gifts, and hopefully you’ll agree this is a better deal
  • Continental’s Infinite Elite members (the limited few of you that earned this back in the early 90’s) will be grandfathered in and given lifetime Premier 1K status, but without the GPUs. We hope you’ll agree this is a generous resolution

GREAT! Love these changes. The spousal benefits for MM is AMAZING option. When will learn more about UGS invites for 2012?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.