Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Merger Update: 2012 MileagePlus Program Details

Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
This CO 1MM'er (Lifetime Silver) is a VERY HAPPY MAN (and now a Lifetime Gold). Hoo-Hah!
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Starman
Does this mean some people could actually move up a tier in MM status (e.g., 2MM -> 3MM) in 2012 without doing anything at all??
Yes.
And finally, if I understand correctly, AA includes not just credit card EQMs, but all credit card miles (what we used to call RDMs) in their lifetime status -- I presume new UA is not doing this?
Correct.

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I realize this is a smaller point than most of the other changes, but I'm having trouble understanding this. My UAPM 2 MM status came from 2 M BIS miles, the only way you could get it on UA. Are they saying that they actually can track backwards since the beginning of the program (25 years?!) all EQMs that came from other than BIS sources, and that will be added to my lifetime clock? [It will be the rare member who has records to verify this, given that UA always made it so hard to track EQMs anyway!] Does this mean some people could actually move up a tier in MM status (e.g., 2MM -> 3MM) in 2012 without doing anything at all?? And finally, if I understand correctly, AA includes not just credit card EQMs, but all credit card miles (what we used to call RDMs) in their lifetime status -- I presume new UA is not doing this?
That's exactly what they are doing.. all flight EQM and bonus EQM on your UA account through the years will be added to your lifetime CO miles to give you a new balance. It's generous and fair at the same time!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:00 am

Definitely some take and give with these program changes.
The gap of benefits between 1P and 1K has been filled in - long overdue, by offering a Premier Platinum level.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Some very positive changes that I like as a 1K! A little concerned for my 1P wife but overall it's good. Really like the Global Entry benefit. Very smart politically and customer-wise as well.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jorgen
I'm particularly disappointed, as someone who just joined MP this year, and has been working his way up from zero to 1P, that I'm only gonna get a 50% RDM bonus. I bought a pig in a poke, and apparently it only has half as much bacon as expected.
Well, we don't know if the reduced RDM kicks in 2/2012 or 2/2013. I would hope that those of us who earned elite in the 2011 program year will keep 2011 RDM/bag check benefits through 2/2013.
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Thanks. Definitely better than expected.
+1.

Admittedly, there are some pretty crappy things in there that were correctly predicted (e.g. upgrade priority based primarily on fare, e.g., YBM, rather than status), and which primarily attack the lower elite levels (e.g. elimination of free advance E+ for 2Ps , reduction of bonus RDMs for 1Ps), but the elite qualification requirements are much more reasonable than originally anticipated, and there are some good things (e.g. more RDM bonuses for F/C fares, and a good Million Miler program ^) mixed in there as well.

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
150 posts and no one's chimed in to bemoan the loss of the term "Premier Executive"? Wait, am I on the right site?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Difficult to understand why it was not possible for UA to calm the visibly upset FFers and posters in the other thread at an earlier stage Seems that the changes are sort of undramatic and anticlimactic. Or did our uproar result in changes to their original planning? We'll probably never know.
UAInsider warned us that there was some incorrect information yet most on this board insisted on moving forward with their sky-is-falling rhetoric.

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
Originally Posted by sidestep
SWUs or GPUs still available for use on lufthansa???
i hope.. main reason i am qualifying for 1k this year..
since the switch to the new system is not being done til the mid 1st quarter next year, you might be better off requesting for paper SWU to use on LH before that transition from SWU->GPU.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I feel bad for 2Ps, and I suspect that the loss of 2P business will force a rethink in 2012.

The web site makes it clear that all companions have to be on same reservation in order to get E+. This is a significant downgrade of benefits, especially for 1K.

The lifetime benefits are shockingly amazingly good. My worst case scenario was 2P for life for Mrs. mre5765 and me). My best case scenario was 1P for life for just me, sometime at the end of 2012. Now it appears both of us will be 1P for life as soon as my lifetime EQMs are added in (when this will be in 2012 depends on whether DEQMs of the past several years will be included). Depending on what my lifetime balance is after the recalibration, I might go for 2MM; lifetime 0P (Premier Platinum) looks really good to me.

Regarding the Global Entry benefit, tread very carefully. During my GE interrogation, I was asked if anyone was paying me to get Global Entry. Before that question, my intent was to have my employer reimburse me. When I heard that question I decided I would not seek reimbursement, and thus truthfully answered "no" to the question. When my GE expires, I do not plan to ask United to pay for it. GE is much more important to have than $100.

Last edited by mre5765; Sep 21, 2011 at 9:08 am

Programs: UA, AA
How are the 4 flights calculated? 4 segments? 4 directions of travel? 4 roundtrips? 4 PNRs?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
Changes are good for us that are 1Ks. But I am not sure I will have 1k status every year so I don't exactly see this being too good of a change.

before if you want to regain 100% bonus miles, u basically need to fly 3 US - Asia flights and you are set, but now they basically make you wait until the year after to regain 100% bonus miles.

The reduced bonus miles could mean that there are less of a fight to get the saverpass you want.

but then I can see how these changes can make the airline more profitable
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
I feel bad for 2Ps, and I suspect that the loss of 2P business will force a rethink in 2012.
Loss to where?

There's no E+ on AA or US and only internationally on DL. So you've got one free bag vs. crap mileage redemption, and anyone serious about mileage redemption is going to have a credit card anyway.

This assumes that a Silver with a CC still gets two free bags.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Bad for everyone!!

OK.. I'm close to MM but I'm not sure how this is being calculated..

Anways, for Premiers and Prem Executives, this is awful!! First, I can't choose a E+ seat at purchase.. Are my 900k+ miles not good enough for my "loyalty"? I'm based in Chicago.. If someone is going from LHR-LAS. Do the Premiers on the LHR flight get to confirm E+ to Vegas at check in?? This puts me 10 hours behind them.. What about everyone else connecting thru ORD.. Does this put me a few hours behind them??

1 bag?? Yes I usually don't check any, but with a new baby, that family trip is going to need the extra bag! Now I must pay for this too??? Why don't I drive 35 minutes over to MDW and get E+ and bags for everyone free?? I'm not alone. I live across the street from ORD but I'm an A lister on WN and always always get a window or aisle.. Again, I'm not alone.. Every WN flight I have more and more former UA flyers making the trek to MDW to stay away from Barbie Jets!!

Will E+ for the year still be around?? If so, I'll just pay for that and forget about the mileage!

I will make Prem Exec this year but what's the big deal?? No more 100% bonus.. Those sure do add up fast.. That's a domestic ticket gone!! For everyone saying this is a good deal, please think again.. YOu will lose a free ticket!!

Again, this is bad! UA will lose some customers over this, and they will eventually take away E+ from Prem Exec.. It will happen.. They took the 100% away...

I for one was just about to book a ticket on UA, ord-iah-aus-sat-iah-ord. 890.00 round trip.. Why?? Guess what, I just purchased WN for 630.00. I will get a nice comparable seat to E+, board first, and get a free drink...

Don't get me wrong I love UA, but this is not good for anywone..

They leak drastic changes then everyone is so happy with this... Think again everyone!!

I still don't see one thing I like with the new UA.. E+ was the only thing, but now who cares... I'll fly AA, WN and UA. All easy access from Chicago.. I never flew AA due to E+.. Take it away and now they become an option..

As a premier I will no longer be able to pick a seat assigment.. All the seats in the back will be taken away..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.