Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...) [Merged]

Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Economy Plus FAQs

Can I get a refund for my Economy Plus purchase if I no longer want it on my trip?

No. Economy Plus purchases are nonrefundable unless the ticket is refunded or canceled prior to travel.

If I buy Economy Plus seating, can I select a different Economy Plus seat prior to travel?

Yes. If the price of the new seat is equal to or less than the original purchase price then there will be no refund or additional charges. If the price of the new seat is greater than the price of the originally purchased seat, then the original price will be refunded and the new seat must be purchased in full.

Will my Economy Plus purchase be refunded if I cancel my trip?

Yes. In the event of a ticket refund or cancellation, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded.

What will happen if I purchased Economy Plus seating but want to change my flights?

In the event of a voluntary change to a trip, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded. If the ticket is partially used at the time of the change, only the value of the unused Economy Plus seating will be refunded.

What happens to my Economy Plus purchase if I get upgraded?

In the event of an upgrade, with some exclusions, purchased Economy Plus seating for the upgraded segment(s) will be automatically refunded. Exclusions include Complimentary Premier Upgrades and cases where a customer is reaccommodated into a seat of similar or greater value due to an aircraft change or other operational issue.

What happens if my itinerary changes due to a cancellation or schedule change?

In the event of any involuntary changes, such as rebooking due to a cancellation or schedule change, United will, if available, transfer the Economy Plus seating to your new flight(s) free of charge. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase will be automatically refunded after flight departure. If you are re-accommodated on another airline per United’s policies, your purchase of Economy Plus seating for that portion of the itinerary will be automatically refunded.

I purchased Economy Plus, but I didn’t get to sit in an Economy Plus seat. Will I receive a refund?

Yes. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase price will be automatically refunded after flight departure.

What is the deadline to request a refund for my Economy Plus purchase?

For Economy Plus refunds that aren’t issued automatically, you must submit your request within 90 days of the later of the following two dates: i) the date when the fee was originally paid; or ii) the flight date.If we were unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus or a seat of similar or greater value, and you received a new boarding pass, then the refund for the Economy Plus purchase price will be issued automatically. If you were not issued a new boarding pass, please submit a request through our Refunds page by the deadline specified above.

How long will it take to receive my Economy Plus refund?

Please allow up to seven business days from the date when the refund is issued for the activity to post to your credit card. If the refund does not post within one billing cycle, please contact your credit card company for information. For all other forms of payment, please allow up to 20 days for a refund to be processed. If you do not see a credit post within these time frames, please submit a refund request at united.com/refunds. All refunds are credited to the original form of payment used.
related thread : UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [2016 Consolidated]

Preferred seat refunds (changed flights, upgraded, purchased E+, ...)

Archive: Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...){Archive}
Print Wikipost

Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...) [Merged]

Old Jan 13, 2021, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

From The WiKI Will my Economy Plus purchase be refunded if I cancel my trip? YES

Sorry to ask for confirmation but I read the verbiage on united website and I didn't think it meshed with the above.

If I buy a one way ticket for $130 and pay for Economy Plus for $70 at time of purchase and I cancel the flight will I get an automatic refund on my credit card for $70? ( I won't buy the economy plus this far out if all I will get is a travel voucher -- Good towards future united travel)
Old Jan 13, 2021, 7:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by writetorich
Sorry to ask for confirmation but I read the verbiage on united website and I didn't think it meshed with the above.

If I buy a one way ticket for $130 and pay for Economy Plus for $70 at time of purchase and I cancel the flight will I get an automatic refund on my credit card for $70? ....
If you voluntary cancel the flight you will get a FFC for the flight and a refund for E+ --- Yes. It will usually be automatic but occasionally you will need to followup.
What the website is referring to is you can not cancel the E+ on its own and get a refund, you will need to cancel the flight or change to a different flight to get a refund.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Cancelling Economy Plus seat bundle

Quick question:

I had award mileage flights for the family to travel to Rome and after ticketing the award flight, paid the "bundle" price for Eco Plus seating in a separate transaction several days later.

I've just now cancelled those flights online (the miles were returned instantly) and receipt for the cancellation says the taxes/fees will be returned to the credit card on file. Do I need to call in for the Eco Plus bundle refund or will that automatically process as well?

TIA!
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
It has been reported that such fees are refunded on the date of travel.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
It has been reported that such fees are refunded on the date of travel.
But calling can usually get the refund earlier
SPN Lifer and geo1005 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by geo1005
I had award mileage flights for the family to travel to Rome and after ticketing the award flight, paid the "bundle" price for Eco Plus seating in a separate transaction several days later.

I've just now cancelled those flights online (the miles were returned instantly) and receipt for the cancellation says the taxes/fees will be returned to the credit card on file. Do I need to call in for the Eco Plus bundle refund or will that automatically process as well?

TIA!
New Data Point:

Four award tickets with EcoPlus seating bundles cancelled via the UA app on March 2. The Miles returned to my account immediately. The award ticket taxes/fees AND the seating bundles were refunded to the original credit cards as of today (3/5). When I originally booked, I used one CC for the flights taxes/fees and then another card later in the day (after the flights were already booked/confirmed) to buy the seat bundles. I made no calls to initiate the refund of the bundles. Credit where due... NICE JOB UA!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:11 am

Paid for E+ seats, there was an equipment change and I lost E+ seats. Now when I try to select E+ for the same flights, it tries to charge me again. What gives?
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by herzmeh
Paid for E+ seats, there was an equipment change and I lost E+ seats. Now when I try to select E+ for the same flights, it tries to charge me again. What gives?
That's just how the system works. Intuitive and fun, I know.

You can call in and probably get an agent to just put you back in E+, or at the least initiate a refund and then pay for seats on the new equipment. You may soon get a refund automatically (see above), but don't count on it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Just want to confirm my suspicions. My partner is in Y using my PlusPoints to upgrade, while I'm in paid F. Unfortunately one leg looks like there's no chance to happen (3rd on the upgrade list and 1 seat open 2 weeks before the flight). I want to give her my F seat and I'll sit in whY. If I paid to upgrade her reservation to Y+ but by some miracle she got the upgrade would it be refunded. CPUs are specifically mentioned it would not, but is PP also counted as an "exception" to a refund?
Old Aug 26, 2021, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Purchased E+ then used PP to upgrade - refund on E+

Purchased E+ for my son (no status) on his flight, but then used PP the same day to upgrade to Polaris and it cleared.

Does he get a refund on E+? It's been 5 days since purchase E+ and I see it on my statement.

Should I call United?

Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2021, 5:10 pm

Yes this is a refundable case.
However, UA normally does not refund until the departure date -- Why??

But if you call or file for a refund, you can get it earlier
Old Aug 27, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Thanks. The flight already happened (Tuesday).

I'll give them a call.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by serpens
One serious question concerns upgraded seats. I did pay for extra legroom. Would any offer at the website take that into account? If I purchase an upgrade to first, do I get the seat charge back? .....
The premium cabin upgrade (PCU) offer does not take in account your E+ fee BUT the E+ access fee will be refunded separately. UA's SOP is to wait until the flight has operated to do the refund but you can call to nudge it earlier.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 6:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
[...] the E+ access fee will be refunded separately. UA's SOP is to wait until the flight has operated to do the refund [...]
Thanks. Sooner is better than later, but later is way better than not at all.

Is the refund to the original form of payment or some type of credit?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by serpens
Thanks. Sooner is better than later, but later is way better than not at all.

Is the refund to the original form of payment or some type of credit?
original form of payment

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.