FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Refunds for E+ / Preferred fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ...) [Merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1256126-refunds-e-preferred-fees-upgrades-seat-changes-cancellations-merged.html)

writetorich Jan 13, 2021 6:44 pm

From The WiKI Will my Economy Plus purchase be refunded if I cancel my trip? YES

Sorry to ask for confirmation but I read the verbiage on united website and I didn't think it meshed with the above.

If I buy a one way ticket for $130 and pay for Economy Plus for $70 at time of purchase and I cancel the flight will I get an automatic refund on my credit card for $70? ( I won't buy the economy plus this far out if all I will get is a travel voucher -- Good towards future united travel)

WineCountryUA Jan 13, 2021 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by writetorich (Post 32966421)
Sorry to ask for confirmation but I read the verbiage on united website and I didn't think it meshed with the above.

If I buy a one way ticket for $130 and pay for Economy Plus for $70 at time of purchase and I cancel the flight will I get an automatic refund on my credit card for $70? ....

If you voluntary cancel the flight you will get a FFC for the flight and a refund for E+ --- Yes. It will usually be automatic but occasionally you will need to followup.
What the website is referring to is you can not cancel the E+ on its own and get a refund, you will need to cancel the flight or change to a different flight to get a refund.

geo1005 Mar 3, 2021 9:11 am

Cancelling Economy Plus seat bundle

Quick question:

I had award mileage flights for the family to travel to Rome and after ticketing the award flight, paid the "bundle" price for Eco Plus seating in a separate transaction several days later.

I've just now cancelled those flights online (the miles were returned instantly) and receipt for the cancellation says the taxes/fees will be returned to the credit card on file. Do I need to call in for the Eco Plus bundle refund or will that automatically process as well?

TIA!

SPN Lifer Mar 3, 2021 9:23 am

It has been reported that such fees are refunded on the date of travel.

WineCountryUA Mar 3, 2021 9:59 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 33074279)
It has been reported that such fees are refunded on the date of travel.

But calling can usually get the refund earlier

geo1005 Mar 5, 2021 7:50 am

Originally Posted by geo1005 (Post 33074254)
I had award mileage flights for the family to travel to Rome and after ticketing the award flight, paid the "bundle" price for Eco Plus seating in a separate transaction several days later.

I've just now cancelled those flights online (the miles were returned instantly) and receipt for the cancellation says the taxes/fees will be returned to the credit card on file. Do I need to call in for the Eco Plus bundle refund or will that automatically process as well?

TIA!

New Data Point:

Four award tickets with EcoPlus seating bundles cancelled via the UA app on March 2. The Miles returned to my account immediately. The award ticket taxes/fees AND the seating bundles were refunded to the original credit cards as of today (3/5). When I originally booked, I used one CC for the flights taxes/fees and then another card later in the day (after the flights were already booked/confirmed) to buy the seat bundles. I made no calls to initiate the refund of the bundles. Credit where due... NICE JOB UA!

herzmeh Mar 8, 2021 11:11 am

Paid for E+ seats, there was an equipment change and I lost E+ seats. Now when I try to select E+ for the same flights, it tries to charge me again. What gives?

fumje Mar 8, 2021 11:31 am

Originally Posted by herzmeh (Post 33085886)
Paid for E+ seats, there was an equipment change and I lost E+ seats. Now when I try to select E+ for the same flights, it tries to charge me again. What gives?

That's just how the system works. Intuitive and fun, I know. :o

You can call in and probably get an agent to just put you back in E+, or at the least initiate a refund and then pay for seats on the new equipment. You may soon get a refund automatically (see above), but don't count on it.

dinoscool3 Jun 9, 2021 8:30 am

Just want to confirm my suspicions. My partner is in Y using my PlusPoints to upgrade, while I'm in paid F. Unfortunately one leg looks like there's no chance to happen (3rd on the upgrade list and 1 seat open 2 weeks before the flight). I want to give her my F seat and I'll sit in whY. If I paid to upgrade her reservation to Y+ but by some miracle she got the upgrade would it be refunded. CPUs are specifically mentioned it would not, but is PP also counted as an "exception" to a refund?

4BandE Aug 26, 2021 5:04 pm

Purchased E+ then used PP to upgrade - refund on E+

Purchased E+ for my son (no status) on his flight, but then used PP the same day to upgrade to Polaris and it cleared.

Does he get a refund on E+? It's been 5 days since purchase E+ and I see it on my statement.

Should I call United?

Thanks!

WineCountryUA Aug 26, 2021 5:10 pm

Yes this is a refundable case.
However, UA normally does not refund until the departure date -- Why??

But if you call or file for a refund, you can get it earlier

4BandE Aug 27, 2021 9:31 am

Thanks. The flight already happened (Tuesday).

I'll give them a call.

WineCountryUA Jan 26, 2022 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by serpens (Post 33938273)
One serious question concerns upgraded seats. I did pay for extra legroom. Would any offer at the website take that into account? If I purchase an upgrade to first, do I get the seat charge back? .....

The premium cabin upgrade (PCU) offer does not take in account your E+ fee BUT the E+ access fee will be refunded separately. UA's SOP is to wait until the flight has operated to do the refund but you can call to nudge it earlier.

serpens Jan 27, 2022 6:37 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33938333)
[...] the E+ access fee will be refunded separately. UA's SOP is to wait until the flight has operated to do the refund [...]

Thanks. Sooner is better than later, but later is way better than not at all.

Is the refund to the original form of payment or some type of credit?

WineCountryUA Jan 27, 2022 10:37 am

Originally Posted by serpens (Post 33939895)
Thanks. Sooner is better than later, but later is way better than not at all.

Is the refund to the original form of payment or some type of credit?

original form of payment