Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Refunds for Economy Plus fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ....) [Merged]

Refunds for Economy Plus fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ....) [Merged]

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 14, 22, 4:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Economy Plus FAQs

Can I get a refund for my Economy Plus purchase if I no longer want it on my trip?

No. Economy Plus purchases are nonrefundable unless the ticket is refunded or canceled prior to travel.

If I buy Economy Plus seating, can I select a different Economy Plus seat prior to travel?

Yes. If the price of the new seat is equal to or less than the original purchase price then there will be no refund or additional charges. If the price of the new seat is greater than the price of the originally purchased seat, then the original price will be refunded and the new seat must be purchased in full.

Will my Economy Plus purchase be refunded if I cancel my trip?

Yes. In the event of a ticket refund or cancellation, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded.

What will happen if I purchased Economy Plus seating but want to change my flights?

In the event of a voluntary change to a trip, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded. If the ticket is partially used at the time of the change, only the value of the unused Economy Plus seating will be refunded.

What happens to my Economy Plus purchase if I get upgraded?

In the event of an upgrade, with some exclusions, purchased Economy Plus seating for the upgraded segment(s) will be automatically refunded. Exclusions include Complimentary Premier Upgrades and cases where a customer is reaccommodated into a seat of similar or greater value due to an aircraft change or other operational issue.

What happens if my itinerary changes due to a cancellation or schedule change?

In the event of any involuntary changes, such as rebooking due to a cancellation or schedule change, United will, if available, transfer the Economy Plus seating to your new flight(s) free of charge. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase will be automatically refunded after flight departure. If you are re-accommodated on another airline per Uniteds policies, your purchase of Economy Plus seating for that portion of the itinerary will be automatically refunded.

I purchased Economy Plus, but I didnt get to sit in an Economy Plus seat. Will I receive a refund?

Yes. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase price will be automatically refunded after flight departure.

What is the deadline to request a refund for my Economy Plus purchase?

For Economy Plus refunds that arent issued automatically, you must submit your request within 90 days of the later of the following two dates: i) the date when the fee was originally paid; or ii) the flight date.If we were unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus or a seat of similar or greater value, and you received a new boarding pass, then the refund for the Economy Plus purchase price will be issued automatically. If you were not issued a new boarding pass, please submit a request through our Refunds page by the deadline specified above.

How long will it take to receive my Economy Plus refund?

Please allow up to seven business days from the date when the refund is issued for the activity to post to your credit card. If the refund does not post within one billing cycle, please contact your credit card company for information. For all other forms of payment, please allow up to 20 days for a refund to be processed. If you do not see a credit post within these time frames, please submit a refund request at united.com/refunds. All refunds are credited to the original form of payment used.
related thread : UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [2016 Consolidated]

Preferred seat refunds (changed flights, upgraded, purchased E+, ...)
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 5, 22, 12:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shawneve View Post
I have an Aeroplan reward booking with a UA segment (LIH-SFO) and onward to YYZ with AC
I purchased Economy Plus for the United segment.
I am most likely going to cancel the whole reward ticket, so questions are:
- am I entitled to a refund of the E+ fee?
- if so, do I need to contact UA?
- will it be processed shortly after the cancellation or after the trip was supposed to happen?
It should get refunded automatically after the schedule departure.
You can call and get an earlier refund.
Occasionally you may need to call anyways -- especially if schedule change / irrops happens to the schedule flight.

More in the thread's wiki
Old Jul 7, 22, 11:04 pm

Hello,
We have refundable economy tickets. We want to upgrade to economy plus seat for $104. Just wondering if our plan changes and we cancel the tickets, will the $104 refundable also?
TIA
Old Jul 8, 22, 12:35 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tiffany View Post
Hello,
We have refundable economy tickets. We want to upgrade to economy plus seat for $104. Just wondering if our plan changes and we cancel the tickets, will the $104 refundable also?
TIA
Yes but not because of the refundable ticket but because E+ access fees are refundable on cancellation.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 20, 22, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
It should get refunded automatically after the schedule departure.
You can call and get an earlier refund.
Occasionally you may need to call anyways -- especially if schedule change / irrops happens to the schedule flight.
More in the thread's wiki
I cancelled my itinerary. Does it get refunded automatically upon cancellation or do i have to wait until after the scheduled flight?

Last edited by shawneve; Jul 20, 22 at 12:57 pm
Old Jul 20, 22, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by shawneve View Post
I cancelled my itinerary. Does it get refunded automatically upon cancellation or do i have to wait until after the scheduled flight?
The default is refund after the original departure. Calling can get the refund sooner.
Old Aug 14, 22, 12:04 pm

Question Does my cash upgrade refund if my miles upgrade waitlist triggers?

Hi!
I'm taking a cross-country flight for work, and got booked into a basic economy seat. I want to upgrade and have multiple options available.
I am able to use miles + cash to get on the waitlist for first class, which I did. However, I have little faith in getting off the waitlist. So instead of waiting in basic economy thinking that I'll get bumped up, I am thinking I should use cash to upgrade to an economy plus seat.

My question is, in the off chance that there's room and I get into a first class seat, will my cash upgrade to economy plus get refunded?
Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 22, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by kathode View Post
.. I'm taking a cross-country flight for work, and got booked into a basic economy seat,
Do you mean a "regular" economy seat? Basic Economy tickets are not upgradeable

Originally Posted by kathode View Post
..I want to upgrade and have multiple options available.
I am able to use miles + cash to get on the waitlist for first class, which I did. However, I have little faith in getting off the waitlist. So instead of waiting in basic economy thinking that I'll get bumped up, I am thinking I should use cash to upgrade to an economy plus seat.

My question is, in the off chance that there's room and I get into a first class seat, will my cash upgrade to economy plus get refunded?
Yes, UA explicitly states that the E+ fee will be refunded if upgraded by miles/copy or other supported method.

just a side note, elites are eligible for complimentary premier upgrades (CPU) in some cases and if they paid E+ fee, that will not be refunded on CPU
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 11, 22, 10:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Economy Plus Seat refund?

I paid for a seat upgrade but later cancelled the flight. I thought I had read on FlyerTalk that the fee for the seat upgrade would be refunded to the original form of payment after the scheduled flight, which is now over two weeks ago. It has not been refunded. Do I need to be more patient or take some action?

Gory details. I made a flight reservation but needed to cancel the flight. I used that credit plus additional money to make another reservation that is the subject of this post. It was on this reservation that I paid for the seat upgrade, with more additional money. About two months before the flight, I decided to cancel it. I received a credit which I have used for yet another flight (yet to be flown). The credit did not include the seat upgrade fee. Although I believe I read on FT that I could call and request a refund of the seat upgrade fee, I also thought I read that it would be automatic after the flight had flown, and I decided to wait. Now, when I search My trips at united.com, I can see the PNR for the the cancelled flight. But when I click on the PNR or the associated "View details" link, I get a message "Your confirmation number, a 6 character alphanumeric code, and/or last name is not valid." What should I do?

Thank you.
Old Sep 11, 22, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by serpens View Post
I paid for a seat upgrade but later cancelled the flight. I thought I had read on FlyerTalk that the fee for the seat upgrade would be refunded to the original form of payment after the scheduled flight, which is now over two weeks ago. It has not been refunded. Do I need to be more patient or take some action?

...Although I believe I read on FT that I could call and request a refund of the seat upgrade fee, I also thought I read that it would be automatic after the flight had flown, and I decided to wait......
For some reason, seat fees on cancelled flights are not automatically refunded until the day of the flight. If you want earlier, you need to call or wait til the automatic refund.
Old Sep 11, 22, 10:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

For some reason, seat fees on cancelled flights are not automatically refunded until the day of the flight. If you want earlier, you need to call or wait til the automatic refund.
Thank you, but I said that the flight was over two weeks ago. Should the automatic refund take over two weeks? Did I misunderstand your response?
Old Sep 11, 22, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by serpens View Post
Thank you, but I said that the flight was over two weeks ago. Should the automatic refund take over two weeks? Did I misunderstand your response?
Sorry I read that as referring to the first flight not the second.

Credit card refund can take 10+ days to show but you are getting to the outlimits of a reasonable wait. I might be inclined to give a couple days and then file a refund request.
Old Sep 11, 22, 11:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Sorry I read that as referring to the first flight not the second.
I should have been more clear. Communication can be difficult.
Credit card refund can take 10+ days to show but you are getting to the outlimits of a reasonable wait. I might be inclined to give a couple days and then file a refund request.
Thanks, and thank you for the link to the refund page at the web site.
jsloan likes this.

Search this Thread