Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Refunds for Economy Plus fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ....) [Merged]

Refunds for Economy Plus fees (upgrades, seat changes, cancellations, ....) [Merged]

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 25, 19, 3:24 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Economy Plus FAQs

Can I get a refund for my Economy Plus purchase if I no longer want it on my trip?

No. Economy Plus purchases are nonrefundable unless the ticket is refunded or canceled prior to travel.

If I buy Economy Plus seating, can I select a different Economy Plus seat prior to travel?

Yes. If the price of the new seat is equal to or less than the original purchase price then there will be no refund or additional charges. If the price of the new seat is greater than the price of the originally purchased seat, then the original price will be refunded and the new seat must be purchased in full.

Will my Economy Plus purchase be refunded if I cancel my trip?

Yes. In the event of a ticket refund or cancellation, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded.

What will happen if I purchased Economy Plus seating but want to change my flights?

In the event of a voluntary change to a trip, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded. If the ticket is partially used at the time of the change, only the value of the unused Economy Plus seating will be refunded.

What happens to my Economy Plus purchase if I get upgraded?

In the event of an upgrade, with some exclusions, purchased Economy Plus seating for the upgraded segment(s) will be automatically refunded. Exclusions include Complimentary Premier Upgrades and cases where a customer is reaccommodated into a seat of similar or greater value due to an aircraft change or other operational issue.

What happens if my itinerary changes due to a cancellation or schedule change?

In the event of any involuntary changes, such as rebooking due to a cancellation or schedule change, United will, if available, transfer the Economy Plus seating to your new flight(s) free of charge. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase will be automatically refunded after flight departure. If you are re-accommodated on another airline per United’s policies, your purchase of Economy Plus seating for that portion of the itinerary will be automatically refunded.

I purchased Economy Plus, but I didn’t get to sit in an Economy Plus seat. Will I receive a refund?

Yes. If we are unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus, the Economy Plus purchase price will be automatically refunded after flight departure.

What is the deadline to request a refund for my Economy Plus purchase?

For Economy Plus refunds that aren’t issued automatically, you must submit your request within 90 days of the later of the following two dates: i) the date when the fee was originally paid; or ii) the flight date.If we were unable to accommodate you in Economy Plus or a seat of similar or greater value, and you received a new boarding pass, then the refund for the Economy Plus purchase price will be issued automatically. If you were not issued a new boarding pass, please submit a request through our Refunds page by the deadline specified above.

How long will it take to receive my Economy Plus refund?

Please allow up to seven business days from the date when the refund is issued for the activity to post to your credit card. If the refund does not post within one billing cycle, please contact your credit card company for information. For all other forms of payment, please allow up to 20 days for a refund to be processed. If you do not see a credit post within these time frames, please submit a refund request at united.com/refunds. All refunds are credited to the original form of payment used.
related thread : UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [2016 Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 21, 19, 3:03 am

Programs: BA,SQ,IHG Spire
Thanks, I didn't know about that. Should have Googled harder!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 21, 19, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
When was the flight.

E+ fees are supposed to be refunded automatically if you paid for it, but in the end sat in a regular economy seat. It takes a few days though.

If it’s been longer than 1-2 weeks, then yes, you should definitely request a refund. On the refund tool, I believe you’ll be asked for a ticket number. You want to use the 016 ticket number that is listed on your credit card statement for the E+ charge - not the ticket number you flew on.

also, just to be clear, E+ on UA is not considered an ‘upgrade’ - it’s the same cabin as regular economy (even through you paid an extra fee). Don’t refer to it when dealing with UA as an ‘upgrade’ - it will just confuse them.
Old Jun 21, 19, 6:49 am

Programs: BA,SQ,IHG Spire
It has been just over a week. I have received no communication indicating that the event even happened, let alone a sign of the money.
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:24 pm

Bought an upgrade to Economy Plus on a nonstop flight last week, $69.
This morning the flight was delayed by 3 hours after I'd already reached the airport.
(Free) change to a different 1-stop itinerary.
Paid $129 for Economy Plus seats on the new itinerary (now 2 legs).
Should I expect an automatic refund of my original $69 upgrade? (AA has done that for me before, but I have Gold there and no status on UA)
I figure I'll save effort by giving it a day before I bother asking for a refund, what would you do?
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
This morning the flight was delayed by 3 hours after I'd already reached the airport.
Should I expect an automatic refund of my original $69 upgrade? ...
Yes

... I figure I'll save effort by giving it a day before I bother asking for a refund, what would you do?
give it a couple days

If not automatic go to www.united.com/refunds and select E+ refunds

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 19 at 8:46 pm Reason: refund link
Old Jul 25, 19, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Should I expect an automatic refund of my original $69 upgrade? (AA has done that for me before, but I have Gold there and no status on UA)
I figure I'll save effort by giving it a day before I bother asking for a refund, what would you do?
Even if UA processes the refund back the same day, it takes additional time for your bank to post it back to your card.

The refund is supposed to, and usually does, happen automatically, but I'd give it at least a week (5 business days) for it to show online with your card. If it goes beyond that, absolutely fill out a request.
Old Jul 27, 19, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Yes
give it a couple days
If not automatic go to www.united.com/refunds and select E+ refunds
It was indeed automatic.I'm a happy camper.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 11:14 am

Paid E+ access combined with award upgrades?

Pardon the stupid questions, but I'm not terribly familiar with UA in this regard (or any of the other airlines, for that matter, LOL)

Flight was booked (not by me) by partner.
8/30/19 ALB to DEN via ORD (UA 2133 and then UA 501)
return
9/1/19 DEN to ALB via ORD (UA 830 and then UA 785)

In coach/economy (not basic economy)

On the UA 501, he picked "bad" seats, so I'm paying to upgrade/switch to econ plus (First is all sold out)
It'll be like $235 or thereabouts (ouch), but better than a limited recline seat, IMO.

Anyhoo:
I can Upgrade with miles, on the outbound (ALB to DEN) for 17.5k miles plus $75 each and waitlist the ORD to DEN (highly doubt it'd happen as everything indicates these are really all sold out as it's the nice seating, LOL).

On the return, if I upgrade with miles, it's 20k miles plus $75 each and waitlisted on all flight segments.

The two questions I have are:

1) If I pay for the econ plus, and later get the waitlisted upgrade with miles, what happens to the paid econ fare? I'm assuming it's gone/not refunded?

2) If I pay for an upgrade to First on say, the ALB to ORD (I wanna say $141 each), and then upgrade with miles and it all comes through, what happens to the $141 each upgrade? (Refunded, just chalk it up to oh well, etc.?)

Of course, this assumes any of this is "wise" to upgrade with miles, I have to figure out if it's per segment or the entire way (17.5 each on the outbound, not per segment) and then figure out the cost/mile. Obviously upgrades are subjective in some terms. So far, not looking like a very good redemption, unless it's 17.5k for the entire way *and* both segments were to clear. At least if I'm doing my math correctly (something like $0.008/point for the one segment).

Thanks in advance and sorry for the dumb questions.
Old Aug 25, 19, 11:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by luv2vacay View Post
1) If I pay for the econ plus, and later get the waitlisted upgrade with miles, what happens to the paid econ fare? I'm assuming it's gone/not refunded? ..
If you pay for E+ and then are upgraded (miles, cash, ....) your E+ access fee will be refunded -- typically not until after the flight. You can manually request earlier with some effort.

Originally Posted by luv2vacay View Post
...2) If I pay for an upgrade to First on say, the ALB to ORD (I wanna say $141 each), and then upgrade with miles and it all comes through, what happens to the $141 each upgrade? ....
Once in First, there will be no option to use miles -- on this one, you can not change your mind. The cash upgrade is non-refundable except if UA fails to provide it.

The reality is those upgrade are unlikely for passengers without status -- especially ORD-DEN, ( unlikely even with status)
luv2vacay likes this.

Search this Thread