Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Alternative to UA to fly CDG-IAD coach with *A Silver card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternative to UA to fly CDG-IAD coach with *A Silver card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2011, 4:43 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Question Alternative to UA to fly CDG-IAD coach with *A Silver card

Good morning all,

My aunt is regularly flying CDG-IAD with UA. This used to be good for her since she has a *A Silver (TG ROP actually) that used to give her 2 luggages allowed and UA was at that time giving miles for transatlantic flights in discounted economy.

Now as you all probably know, UA doesn't give miles for transatlantic discounted economy and she's only entitled to one luggage in total.

What alternative would you recommend in that case to gain miles? Direct flights would be better but if the only solution requires a stopover, then so be it.

Many thanks for your help, I am a bit too much of a newbie to help her on that matter.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
Good morning all,

My aunt is regularly flying CDG-IAD with UA. This used to be good for her since she has a *A Silver (TG ROP actually) that used to give her 2 luggages allowed and UA was at that time giving miles for transatlantic flights in discounted economy.

Now as you all probably know, UA doesn't give miles for transatlantic discounted economy and she's only entitled to one luggage in total.

What alternative would you recommend in that case to gain miles? Direct flights would be better but if the only solution requires a stopover, then so be it.

Many thanks for your help, I am a bit too much of a newbie to help her on that matter.
TG ROP does not credit miles for UA discounted economy. If she collects her miles on UA Mileage Plus she will get full miles even in discounted economy. TG ROP is not a good program at all. Discount economy earns 0 miles, no elite bonus and on paid C & F fares very little earnings as well. Sign your aunt up for Mileage Plus!
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That route is operated by CO metal now, though that doesn't help on the earnings side of things. Plus it is only 1 free bag for *S.

Without knowing too much about what fares do or do not earn to the TG ROP program your other options for CDG-WAS are LX, LH, US and AC; all will involve at least one connection.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:03 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Alright, thank you for your help. I'll tell her the bad news...
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by sbm12
That route is operated by CO metal now, though that doesn't help on the earnings side of things. Plus it is only 1 free bag for *S.
For some it is also interesting to note that this route is no longer operated using widebody aircraft. For others, this is inconsequential.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Renard
For some it is also interesting to note that this route is no longer operated using widebody aircraft. For others, this is inconsequential.
For some it is also interesting to note that this route offers power and AVOD nose to tail; for others this is inconsequential.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Renard
OT (but interesting to this subject) - couldn't help but notice in Seattle this weekend that HA has advertisements touting their widebody service to the islands. So maybe it is important to some consumers after all...
Old Sep 10, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
OT (but interesting to this subject) - couldn't help but notice in Seattle this weekend that HA has advertisements touting their widebody service to the islands. So maybe it is important to some consumers after all...
well they should be prepared to be chastised for their preference if they hang out in these parts.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 3:53 pm

For some it is also interesting to note that this route offers power and AVOD nose to tail; for others this is inconsequential.
for some it is also interesting to note that this route offers rock hard seats and no E+ in coach; for others this is incosnequential.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:40 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by halls120
for some it is also interesting to note that this route offers rock hard seats and no E+ in coach; for others this is incosnequential.
For some it is impossible to accept that a seat with additional leg room that is not called E+ can have the same net benefit to a passenger. Others live in the real world.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 7:15 am

For some it is impossible to accept that a seat with additional leg room that is not called E+ can have the same net benefit to a passenger. Others live in the real world.
in other words, what some people regard as important to an airline flight experience is all that matters. Others who have different priorities are regarded as not living in the "real world," whatever that is.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 9:24 am

in other words, what some people regard as important to an airline flight experience is all that matters. Others who have different priorities are regarded as not living in the "real world," whatever that is.
I never said that only one thing matters.

But continuing to insist that the CO planes do not offer some seats that include the exact same benefits of E+, albeit branded differently (hardly shocking considering that UA trademarked the term), is living in a mythical world of make-believe. No, CO does not offer as many as UA does, but there are more than zero. Claiming that there are none is, at best, misleading.

If you favor flying on a widebody over having AVOD or power that's your personal preference. Suggesting that everyone else should have the same priorities as you is idiotic. Being willing to note that there are benefits and drawbacks to the various options is what allows the people asking for help to make an informed decision about what is best for them.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 9:41 am

I never said that only one thing matters.
True, you just maintain that those of us that don't agree with your personal preferences don't live in the "real world."

If you favor flying on a widebody over having AVOD or power that's your personal preference. Suggesting that everyone else should have the same priorities as you is idiotic.
Of course, I never said that everyone should share my priorities, did I?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:51 pm

True, you just maintain that those of us that don't agree with your personal preferences don't live in the "real world."
That isn't what I said. Read my post again if you're still confused.

I don't care if someone prefers a widebody over AVOD or not. I do care when someone states that a particular type of service is not available when it blatantly is. That's where the "real world" bit comes into play. Hate CO all you want for flying 752s across the pond, but stop pretending that they do not have seats with the exact same benefits as E+, albeit branded under a different name until January 1.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 2:14 pm

That isn't what I said. Read my post again if you're still confused.
I'm not confused at all, just amused at the way you deny your intent. You love to claim that the Absolutely Fabulous CO 757s with a smattering of exit row seats are comparable to UA E+, but that is just your opinion, not the fact you profess it to be.

I don't care if someone prefers a widebody over AVOD or not.
Of course you do. How else do you explain your rabid defense of the Absolutely Fabulous CO 757s replacing UA 767 and 777 out of IAD? Instead of just letting others post their opinions of the change being a downgrade in service, you consistently jump in and defend what COdbaUA is doing.

I do care when someone states that a particular type of service is not available when it blatantly is.
I see. Because you state something to be a fact, there can be no argument.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.