Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Irene - Impact to CO/UA's Operations & TRAVEL WAIVER

Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold

Forget about the earthquakes. I have a flight out of IAD on August 28th for HKG. Any thoughts about it getting cancelled and/or waivers? This is very unfortunate. See timeline below.

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/htdocs_dy...ll/Latest.html
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Any thoughts about it getting cancelled and/or waivers?
Wait at least another two or three days. Predicting a hurricane five days out is like predicting the stock market.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: If only all those cards were made from the precious metals and gemstones they claim to be.
For probably the first time ever, I'm glad I'm flying through ORD this weekend due to potential wx disruption. It's pretty much always the other way round
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Every three hours as they update the forecasts, people will post questions about will their flight be OK from just about every airport from Miami to Boston.

The only answer is right now nobody knows. Until the storm gets much closer and they can predict with some accuracy where it will be heading, they won't issue waivers, won't cancel flights, etc.

I would guess for a flight on Sunday, that's probably the afternoon or evening update on Friday before they start making changes.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by London Control
For probably the first time ever, I'm glad I'm flying through ORD this weekend due to potential wx disruption. It's pretty much always the other way round
You and perhaps many MR'ers, as it is the last weekend for the ORD DEQM promotion.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:49 pm

I prefer NOAA's NHC graphics:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphi...13W5_NL_sm.gif
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by edcho
Since we're linking to charts...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...nd120#contents

Pretty or not, it doesn't look good at all.. ugh.

Just noticed this. Unfortunately only thru the 26th. Nothing regarding IAD

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,52939,00.html

Last edited by DCEsquire; Aug 24, 2011 at 6:40 pm
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Anyone think that UA/CO will issue a travel waiver for the Northeast soon?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Flying out of IAD Sunday night... could be interesting. They change the track every three hours though.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I can see IAD for 8/27-28 most likely. That should put an interesting spin on our SEA-IAD-ZRH flights.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold
Irene Travel Waiver

I have a flight today to PVD and returning to the Midwest on Sunday, which is the same day Hurricane Irene is expected to hit New England. I would like to reschedule my trip for a later date, but at this time UA's travel waiver only covers the Caribbean.

Let's assume the waiver is expanded in the next couple of days to cover the New England states once Irene gets closer. So, my return flight would be covered, but not today's outbound flight. If I cancel my trip today altogether to avoid the risk of being stuck on the East Coast this weekend and then try to reschedule it once the waiver is expanded (assuming it is), would UA give me credit for the entire RT - i.e., the ability to rebook the same itinerary at a later date?

And to complicate this a little more, I paid for half of the fare using an e-cert. Would the credit for the same itinerary be the amount I actually paid for ticket in cash or the full fare?

Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:10 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
They just put in a waiver for NYC area airports, but it only covers today. ()

Wonder when / if we'll get them for WAS? I don't want to get stuck in Chicago over the weekend!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The short answer is that you're hosed.

If the waiver doesn't apply for where you are scheduled to fly to/from at the time you make the change then it doesn't apply. Sorry.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
VX just added IAD to their travel waiver... only a matter of time for UA to do the same.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:30 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
VX just added IAD to their travel waiver... only a matter of time for UA to do the same.
Given the current tracking trends are putting Irene farther west (and thus bringing more winds & downpours to WAS), I have to think UA will extend theirs as well. Question is when and what terms it will offer...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.