Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQP ( was Flex PQM)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Benefits unique to the Chase MP Presidential Plus card (closed and not available for new cardholders)
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- FPQMs can only be used to increase PQMs to a max of 75,000. They are not counted once 75K is reached. (example 80K PQMs +10 FPQMs is still 80K total)
- FPQMs cannot be used to earn GPUs or RPUs past 75K PQMs
- FPQMs are held separately and are only used when the owner requests them to be applied to their MP account
FPQMs can be applied for a given year as late as March 31 of the next year
Print Wikipost

General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQP ( was Flex PQM)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
I am missing something, but what use are Flexible PQMs if you achieve 1K Status this year?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
I am missing something, but what use are Flexible PQMs if you achieve 1K Status this year?
missing nothing -- they have zero worth (this year). Long discussion on this in the referenced thread but some protection for future years -- but limited due to the expiration. Note unless you were an existing PresPlus customer, no new customers can get a card with FEQMs. It is a dying benefit.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
I'm going to offer a different take from the previous posters.

The official answer from United has always been that no flex EQMs can count towards 1K, period. In fact, the web interface will not let you transfer any flex EQMs past 75K (this has been true since at least last year).

However, the question remains: are there are any IT barriers set up against transferring flex EQMs *before* you hit 75K, and then flying another 25K in "real" EQMs later? Color me skeptical that anyone at UA has written any code to prevent this. I can see all sorts of practical problems with retroactively discounting those miles. I'd bet that UA has only put up the simplest barrier (no transfers past 75K) and is just gonna sunset the whole flex EQM thing.

What we really need is someone who has experience trying this to chime in and let everyone know definitively what happened. This question comes up periodically, and as far as I've seen, no one ever has answered with their own personal experience (though it's quite possible I missed that particular post if it exists). Until we get someone with firsthand experience, all of the answers to this question are speculative.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cjermain
... Until we get someone with firsthand experience, all of the answers to this question are speculative.
Although UA has shown no hesitation in "fixing" a certain class IT issues (those in the customer's advantage) after the fact. So even if someone thought this worked, it could be "fixed." (and done too late to earn the loss status)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Although UA has shown no hesitation in "fixing" a certain class IT issues (those in the customer's advantage) after the fact. So even if someone thought this worked, it could be "fixed." (and done too late to earn the loss status)
This is true!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Hard to believe this. I've had three United Chase Visas for donkeys years. I get RDMs from all, and PQMs from two (though one is about to lose the PQMs). Additionally, Chase/United keeps offering me more cards.
I currently have three different United cards. I didn't have to do anything special to get them.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Check your CC terms and conditions, it definitely states you cannot posses more than one United card, so if you want a different one than you have you must give up the other.
I have a MP Select card and an Explorer card. Where does it say this in the terms?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:40 am

Using FPM to get *close* to 100k?

I currently have 75,000 YTD Premier Miles, making me Premier Platinum. I've read that Flexible Premier Miles cannot be used to obtain Premier 1K status.

However, I have several more flights scheduled in 2012 that will get me close (but not quite) to 100,000.

I was wondering if I can use apply my FPM miles to my Premier Miles account now (bumping the balance up to something like 85,000 miles), and then have the actual flown miles be the event that puts me over 100,000 total miles?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by mck1974
I currently have 75,000 YTD Premier Miles, making me Premier Platinum. I've read that Flexible Premier Miles cannot be used to obtain Premier 1K status.

However, I have several more flights scheduled in 2012 that will get me close (but not quite) to 100,000.

I was wondering if I can use apply my FPM miles to my Premier Miles account now (bumping the balance up to something like 85,000 miles), and then have the actual flown miles be the event that puts me over 100,000 total miles?
None of the 100,000 miles used to make 1K can come from FEQM/FPQMs. BIS miles only (including 500-mile minimum credit). It doesn't matter if the event that puts you over 100,000 is a flight--if any of the 100,000 miles are Flex ones, you won't be 1K until you have 100,000 non-Flex qualifying miles. (Elite Maximizer/Premier Accelerator is different--they will happily charge you for them and let you count them toward 1K).
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by UAzip
None of the 100,000 miles used to make 1K can come from FEQM/FPQMs. BIS miles only (including 500-mile minimum credit). It doesn't matter if the event that puts you over 100,000 is a flight--if any of the 100,000 miles are Flex ones, you won't be 1K until you have 100,000 non-Flex qualifying miles. (Elite Maximizer/Premier Accelerator is different--they will happily charge you for them and let you count them toward 1K).
You can also use Choices Program miles to convert award miles to PQMs (at a ratio of 10,000 award miles to 1,000 PQMs with a maximum of 5,000 PQMs per year). And as far as I know, there is no restriction against using miles obtained in this way to reach 1K status. At least, I can't find anything in the terms and conditions that says you can't:

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...oicesTerms.jsp
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by UAzip
That sucks!!!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, IHG, Amtrak
Does anyone know if you can gift FPMs?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by yunicorner
Does anyone know if you can gift FPMs?
No -- you can not gift.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IC Amb, Citi Prestige
Any news about this? IOIOIOIOIO - were you able to get the 1K using the FEQMs? Anyone else?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Transferring Flexible Premier Miles

As is normal, I called customer service a couple of times and got totally opposite answers so I thought I would try here.

When I log on to My Account there is an option to "Transfer Flexible Premier Miles". The first question is, what is the deadline to transfer flexible premier miles into my account balance to be mixed with my earned miles for the 2012 calendar year in order to obtain gold status for 2012? Is it 12/31/2012 or is it 3/31/2013? Or some other date?

If the answer is 12/31/2012 then I have a second question. The literature for the Presidential Plus card says your miles can be used for the year they are earned plus 3 additional years. It also says they will expire 39 months after the end of the year they are earned. Why 39 months? I'm assuming it is 39 months since you are given a 3 month grace period after Jan. 1 to transfer your miles into your account for the previous year. There would be no reason to say "39 months" rather than "36 months" if the deadline for transferring miles is Dec. 31.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.