Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQP ( was Flex PQM)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Benefits unique to the Chase MP Presidential Plus card (closed and not available for new cardholders)
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- FPQMs can only be used to increase PQMs to a max of 75,000. They are not counted once 75K is reached. (example 80K PQMs +10 FPQMs is still 80K total)
- FPQMs cannot be used to earn GPUs or RPUs past 75K PQMs
- FPQMs are held separately and are only used when the owner requests them to be applied to their MP account
FPQMs can be applied for a given year as late as March 31 of the next year
Print Wikipost

General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQP ( was Flex PQM)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
This not a "proper" GS question but can anyone tell me what benefit you get from using "flexible" miles ?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 23, 2018 at 11:13 am Reason: moved to exisiting thread
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by manstein58
This not a "proper" GS question but can anyone tell me what benefit you get from using "flexible" miles ?
FPQMs are earned from spending on the PresPlus credit card (no longer available to new customers) and can be used for PQM elite requirements for Silver, Gold or Plat status. FPQMs do not count toward 1K PQM requirements. Probably meaningless for GS as GS is a spend based system and PQMs are not a direct factor.

FPQMs can be banked for use in future years (expire after 3 years).
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
I have gotten a raise in status in most years that I have had the card. It is a big help to those of us who are mid-tier flyers as the FPQMs can fill in a shortfall. Platinum isn't 1K or GS, but I am thankful for it.
Top tier flyers only get the promise of maintaining some lower level after an off year.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I never thought it would happen, but some of my FEQMs are about to expire. I generally only use them if I need to top off for status, and last year I actually made it on my own.

Too bad I can't use them for something else besides this year's qualification.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cece4
By jove -8 years down the road I finally have got it (albeit...after much pensive thought and laying it all out before me!!)

So,on this particular point - I just thought of one final question -
"Should I instead move 75K FPQM's now for 2019 status or just wait and do it next year or does it even matter one way or the other since anything over 75K will expire each year anyway?"

I get my 2 RPU's when I qualify (I think!!) - so if I used 75K of my expiring 2014 awards to get my 2019 Plat status now...that means I would get 2 additional RPU's now that will be good through Jan 2019 or is it Jan 2020...still a bit confused on all the pieces and how/when they fit.
In which case aren't I actually getting 2 additional RPU's by getting my 2019 status now instead of waiting till next Jan? And then getting 2020 status next January and getting 2 more RPU.
If I am right then I guess this holds true for anyone who may have over 75K excess expiring FPQM's. Or do I have this all wrong??

I don't see that anyone answered this so I am gonna give it another go. To refresh I have already qualified for 2018 status (did this last year)
I have sooo many FPQMS that will expire over the next 3 years:..the largest of which will expire this March. Would you get your 2019 status using those expiring FPQM's now or let them die?
275,000 2014 -expire 3/31/2018
If they died I would still have enough in Jan 2019 to get my 2 year status 2019 & 2020 (which is how I've been doing it since I got my Presidents card)
197,000 2015 - expire 3/31/2019

Seems to me that if I use my expiring miles, I will at least get the benefit of receiving my 2 RPU's now instead of next January. But does that mean that those RPU's would have an earlier death date as well?
Plus I would have the "satisfaction" of "only" allowing 200 K to die! :-(

Every time I think I understand this whole FPQM & RPU think, I really don't!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 28, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Is the absolute maximum number of RPU’s one can get by bootstrapping using Flexmiles up to Platinum at 75k two?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Seems to me that if I use my expiring miles, I will at least get the benefit of receiving my 2 RPU's now instead of next January. But does that mean that those RPU's would have an earlier death date as well? ....
While admitting I'm not sure I understand the question, RPUs earned for achieving Plat status in 2018 will be good until Jan 2020. If you wait until Jan 2019 to use the FPQMs to achieve 2019 status, those RPUs will be good until Jan 2021

Is the absolute maximum number of RPU’s one can get by bootstrapping using Flexmiles up to Platinum at 75k two?
FPQMs can only be used to get Plat or lower status, to get more RPUs you must achieve 1K (or GS) status (which can not be achieved by the use of FPQMs)
Additional RPUs / GPUs after reaching 100K PQMs / 1K status?
manstein58 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While admitting I'm not sure I understand the question, RPUs earned for achieving Plat status in 2018 will be good until Jan 2020. If you wait until Jan 2019 to use the FPQMs to achieve 2019 status, those RPUs will be good until Jan 2021

FPQMs can only be used to get Plat or lower status, to get more RPUs you must achieve 1K (or GS) status (which can not be achieved by the use of FPQMs)
Additional RPUs / GPUs after reaching 100K PQMs / 1K status?
Thanks.
Would it then be correct to state that FlexMiles’ value to a GS is gettiing two RPU’s more quickly (assuming you pay up to 75k) and more mileage in your account which can be used for tickets, catalogue items, etc, ?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:28 pm

Would it then be correct to state that FlexMiles’ value to a GS is gettiing two RPU’s more quickly (assuming you pay up to 75k) ...
Yes if you have burned up all your previous RPUs and you have no better future use of those FPQMs.

and more mileage in your account which can be used for tickets, catalogue items, etc, ?
FPQMs or PQMs do not impact your redeemable miles (RDMs) {except if (F)PQMs allow you to achieve a higher RDM - PQD status multiplier}
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes if you have burned up all your previous RPUs and you have no better future use of those FPQMs.
My turn to not quite understand :-)

I DO still have 2 RPUS that don't expire till Jan 2019 (from 2018 status already achieved).

If I use 75K of my expiring 275K NOW- will I get my 2019 status and 2019 RPU's immediately? (the 2 new RPU's will then presumably expire Jan 2020).
Or do I not actually get either (status or RPU's) until 2019 rolls around and am in effect just bankrolling my 2019 status early?

Also re: the comment about not having any better future use of FPQMS - what future use is there for any excess FPQM's that are expiring? It's not like I can get 2020 or later status now, right?
Thanks in advance for your patience with me!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 28, 2018 at 1:52 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:57 pm

... If I use 75K of my expiring 275K NOW- will I get my 2019 status and 2019 RPU's immediately? (the 2 new RPU's will then presumably expire Jan 2020).
You get the RPUs when your PQM total for the year reaches 75K (and you meet or have waived -- which the PresPlus does -- the other requirements). If you use your FPQMs in 2018, you will get Jan 2020 expiring RPUs.
...Or do I not actually get either (status or RPU's) until 2019 rolls around and am in effect just bankrolling my 2019 status early? ....
No
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Quick question. What is the difference between each of these options? My goal is to use my flex PQM for status this year that lasts through next year. I dont have any miles this year but did have about 20k last year. I have ~51k plex pqms to use. Thanks.

2017 Premier qualifying miles balance for 2018 Premier status

2018 Premier qualifying miles balance for 2019 Premier status
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I believe you should select the first option if you want status for 2018 until Feb 2019. However, please call UA to confirm that.

I wanted to use some towards this year's status which would last through 2020 and I selected the second option.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:01 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I believe you should select the first option if you want status for 2018 until Feb 2019. However, please call UA to confirm that.
On the contrary, I think the OP wants to have status throughout all of 2019, and therefore should apply FPQMs to 2018 status, which would be good through January 2020. Therefore the second option should be selected.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by njxbean
Quick question. What is the difference between each of these options? My goal is to use my flex PQM for status this year that lasts through next year. I dont have any miles this year but did have about 20k last year. I have ~51k plex pqms to use. Thanks.

2017 Premier qualifying miles balance for 2018 Premier status

2018 Premier qualifying miles balance for 2019 Premier status
You have two options,
1) apply 30K FPQMs to your 2017 balance and have Gold status which would be good until Jan 2019
2) apply 50K FPQMs to your (zero) 2018 balance and have Gold status until Jan 2020

a modified version of 2 would be to apply less than 50K but enough to initial get Silver and use your 2018 actual flying activities to get the rest of the PQMs for Gold. That would preserve some of the FPQMs for use in 2020 -- however, make sure they will not expire first.
8MiHi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.