Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQP ( was Flex PQM)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Benefits unique to the Chase MP Presidential Plus card (closed and not available for new cardholders)
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- FPQMs can only be used to increase PQMs to a max of 75,000. They are not counted once 75K is reached. (example 80K PQMs +10 FPQMs is still 80K total)
- FPQMs cannot be used to earn GPUs or RPUs past 75K PQMs
- FPQMs are held separately and are only used when the owner requests them to be applied to their MP account
FPQMs can be applied for a given year as late as March 31 of the next year
Print Wikipost

General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQP ( was Flex PQM)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Is PQD waived for using FPQM?

I'm sure this is answered elsewhere in this thread, but I can't find it and I've been inactive (both here and as a flyer) for some time now. (My "last visited" date is December 17, 2015).

I have a bunch of soon-to-expire FPQM I want to transfer to get back to gold status. I have 1500 2018 PQM and more than enough FPQM to get that up to 50k. But, I only have ~$250 2018 PQD. Is the PQD requirement waived for using FPQM?

(I can see that the 4 segment requirement is waived, but I don't see anything about PQD. And the website says "(Additional requirements for Premier status levels apply.)")

Thanks,
texd
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by texd
I'm sure this is answered elsewhere in this thread, but I can't find it and I've been inactive (both here and as a flyer) for some time now. (My "last visited" date is December 17, 2015).

I have a bunch of soon-to-expire FPQM I want to transfer to get back to gold status. I have 1500 2018 PQM and more than enough FPQM to get that up to 50k. But, I only have ~$250 2018 PQD. Is the PQD requirement waived for using FPQM?

(I can see that the 4 segment requirement is waived, but I don't see anything about PQD. And the website says "(Additional requirements for Premier status levels apply.)")

Thanks,
texd
PQD will be waived if (copied & pasted):
In 2017, the PQD requirement is waived for Premier Silver, Premier Gold and Premier Platinum qualification if you meet one of the following criteria:
  • You spend at least $25,000 in Net Purchases during that calendar year on MileagePlus co-branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A.;
    OR
  • You hold a United MileagePlus Presidential PlusSM Card.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
PQD will be waived if (copied & pasted):
In 2017, the PQD requirement is waived for Premier Silver, Premier Gold and Premier Platinum qualification if you meet one of the following criteria:
  • You spend at least $25,000 in Net Purchases during that calendar year on MileagePlus co-branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A.;
    OR
  • You hold a United MileagePlus Presidential PlusSM Card.
Thanks KJ. Maybe we'll see you around the airport (or other mutually frequented venue).
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by texd

Thanks,
texd
Did you cancel your Presidential Plus card? My understanding that the PQD requirement is waived for cardholders because it would be pointless if you were applying FPQMs (you'd obviously be low on spending if you were low on miles). It hasn't been clear to me what happens to ex-cardholders who still hold FPQMs. They'd be pretty worthless if the PQD requirement was upheld.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:14 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Did you cancel your Presidential Plus card? My understanding that the PQD requirement is waived for cardholders because it would be pointless if you were applying FPQMs (you'd obviously be low on spending if you were low on miles). It hasn't been clear to me what happens to ex-cardholders who still hold FPQMs. They'd be pretty worthless if the PQD requirement was upheld.
Here's how I handled cancelling my Pres Plus card. Throughout 2016, I had Gold status, but I didn't re-qualify for any status that year, so I was going to lose Premier status entirely beginning February 2017. However, in January 2017, I applied all my FPQMs to achieve Silver status and then cancelled my Pres Plus card. In February, my status changed from Gold to Silver, as expected. In theory, I should retain that status through January 2019. We'll see.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RNE
Here's how I handled cancelling my Pres Plus card. Throughout 2016, I had Gold status, but I didn't re-qualify for any status that year, so I was going to lose Premier status entirely beginning February 2017. However, in January 2017, I applied all my FPQMs to achieve Silver status and then cancelled my Pres Plus card. In February, my status changed from Gold to Silver, as expected. In theory, I should retain that status through January 2019. We'll see.
You applied them to 2017, so you should be fine. This is the best use of FPQMs if you don't travel a lot and means you get 2 years of status out of one application. My question is, say didn't apply all of them and had 1,000 remaining. As long as you held any FPQMs, theoretically you should be exempt from the PQD requirement otherwise your FPQMs would have no value. Or is cancelling the card after the final application, as you did, a requirement?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
You applied them to 2017, so you should be fine. This is the best use of FPQMs if you don't travel a lot and means you get 2 years of status out of one application. My question is, say didn't apply all of them and had 1,000 remaining. As long as you held any FPQMs, theoretically you should be exempt from the PQD requirement otherwise your FPQMs would have no value. Or is cancelling the card after the final application, as you did, a requirement?
As I understand the rules the use of FPQMs provided the cardholder with 2018 status. The status was earned while the FF validly held the card and thus was exempt from the PQD requirement. Without the card the PQD requirement will return to affect 2019 status unless another CC waiver is earned.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
UA doesn't care at all if your FPQM have no value. I'll be hitting 2MM soon at which point my FPQM will be completely wrthless. I can't use the to get to 1K and I can't turn them into RDM.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:42 pm

Nope. Not cancelling. I'm actually a lifetime club member so my annual fee is more akin to a standard airline mileage card.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:01 am
RNE

I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'll give you the following insight. Your exemption is based upon holding the Pres Plus credit card, not holding FPQMs themselves. You could have zero FPQMs and so long as you hold the Pres Plus card, you'd enjoy the PQD exemption. Once you cancel your Pres Plus card, however, your exemption ends. Again, that's regardless of any FPQMs you have. Lastly, you don't have to cancel your card. The reason I cancelled mine was I didn't want to pay the annual fee anymore.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:16 am
RNE

Originally Posted by 8MiHi
As I understand the rules the use of FPQMs provided the cardholder with 2018 status. The status was earned while the FF validly held the card and thus was exempt from the PQD requirement. Without the card the PQD requirement will return to affect 2019 status unless another CC waiver is earned.
That's my understanding too. But I'm the only guinea pig I know who has attempted the two-year qualification tactic via FPQMs and the next day losing the PQD waiver via cancelling the Pres Plus card. Would my waiver-enabled status "stick" once I lost the waiver-creating vehicle? I didn't know.

RNE, thinking I should be OK, but I won't know for sure until my Premier status remains in place after this month.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
Flex PQM - My biennial confusion

I have been United Plat for prob 6 or 8 years now but I still have to go through this process of making sure I understand my options every year. (Status through spend to acquire FPQM's on legacy Presidential card)
My account online says "Congratulations, you’ve earned Premier Platinum status for 2018"...believe that means I am Plat thru Jan 31 2019 correct?

I maintain my Plat status by moving my FPQM every other year before the end of January (I think that's correct-I have to refresh myself on this every 2 years!!) so I think that means I did my last transfer of FPQMS a year ago...sound right?
And thus I should not have to move transfer any more till Jan 2019 (to make sure I get 2019/2020 status) - correct??

I have so many FPQM's that are going to expire that it always worries me that I am doing something wrong! Below is my current snapshot which shows that will lose 275,000 FPQM's this coming March. Should I instead move 75K FPQM's now for 2019 status or just wait and do it next year or does it even matter one way or the other since anything over 75K will expire each year anyway?Flex PQM
balancesYear earned Expiration date
275,000 2014 3/31/2018
197,000 2015 3/31/2019
95,000 2016 3/31/2020
62,000 2017 3/31/2021
20,376 Pre-2012 No expiration

One final comment- I think I have finally realized that I do myself no good by aquiring more than 75K FPQM's each year on this card and I should probably be putting that spend on a card that offers me more than 1 pt per mile (CSR/Amex Plat/SPG are my most likely alternates).

Last edited by cece4; Jan 16, 2018 at 9:40 am Reason: table didn't populate correctly
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by cece4
I have been United Plat for prob 6 or 8 years now but I still have to go through this process of making sure I understand my options every year. (Status through spend to acquire FPQM's on legacy Presidential card)
My account online says "Congratulations, you’ve earned Premier Platinum status for 2018"...believe that means I am Plat thru Jan 31 2019 correct?

I maintain my Plat status by moving my FPQM every other year before the end of January (I think that's correct-I have to refresh myself on this every 2 years!!) so I think that means I did my last transfer of FPQMS a year ago...sound right?
And thus I should not have to move transfer any more till Jan 2019 (to make sure I get 2019/2020 status) - correct??

I have so many FPQM's that are going to expire that it always worries me that I am doing something wrong! Below is my current snapshot which shows that will lose 275,000 FPQM's this coming March. Should I instead move 75K FPQM's now for 2019 status or just wait and do it next year or does it even matter one way or the other since anything over 75K will expire each year anyway?Flex PQM
balancesYear earned Expiration date
275,000 2014 3/31/2018
197,000 2015 3/31/2019
95,000 2016 3/31/2020
62,000 2017 3/31/2021
20,376 Pre-2012 No expiration

One final comment- I think I have finally realized that I do myself no good by aquiring more than 75K FPQM's each year on this card and I should probably be putting that spend on a card that offers me more than 1 pt per mile (CSR/Amex Plat/SPG are my most likely alternates).
Yes on all above
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Yes on all above
By jove -8 years down the road I finally have got it (albeit...after much pensive thought and laying it all out before me!!)

So,on this particular point - I just thought of one final question -
"Should I instead move 75K FPQM's now for 2019 status or just wait and do it next year or does it even matter one way or the other since anything over 75K will expire each year anyway?"

I get my 2 RPU's when I qualify (I think!!) - so if I used 75K of my expiring 2014 awards to get my 2019 Plat status now...that means I would get 2 additional RPU's now that will be good through Jan 2019 or is it Jan 2020...still a bit confused on all the pieces and how/when they fit.
In which case aren't I actually getting 2 additional RPU's by getting my 2019 status now instead of waiting till next Jan? And then getting 2020 status next January and getting 2 more RPU.
If I am right then I guess this holds true for anyone who may have over 75K excess expiring FPQM's. Or do I have this all wrong??

kirkwoodj - just noticed this on your post - WOW-not home much are you?!!

"2017: LHR IAH SFO SIN TPE IAD AUS LAX MEL BNE SYD CBR NRT HND GMP ICN YVR YWH YYJ BTR FRA MAD LIS BCN MUC MIA DEN ATL HBA PTY EZE ORD HKG SAN LAS HNL CLT"

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 16, 2018 at 8:32 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by cece4
kirkwoodj - just noticed this on your post - WOW-not home much are you?!!

"2017: LHR IAH SFO SIN TPE IAD AUS LAX MEL BNE SYD CBR NRT HND GMP ICN YVR YWH YYJ BTR FRA MAD LIS BCN MUC MIA DEN ATL HBA PTY EZE ORD HKG SAN LAS HNL CLT"
Lots of short trips

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.