Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: Details about our $500M in onboard product improvements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update: Details about our $500M in onboard product improvements

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K ,AAEXP, Dollar, Marriott Gold,Hertz Gold,SIXT Platnium, CBP Global Entry,Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by denCSA
This makes sense, timing-wise as first is no longer allowed to be purchased for the [actor's/writer's?] guild and the recliner business product is not the 'standard' for C-class anymore.

With UA's announcement, AA will have to make some decisions on this soon to remain relevant in this market.
Well, I have to say I read something in this UAinsider note that I like. I like all the changes for the most part.

But...
AA may still have a swelling rank(myself included) if UACO does what is rumored to the Milage Plus program.
One can hope that the MP rumored changes are just that, rumored/
If it is with very little to none changes in MP combined with these up enhancements, then yes, Changes we all like.

Originally Posted by sldispatcher
We should all be cheering.

Changes coming out in advance of what was anticipated on a timeline schedule.

The whiners will always be present, but it looks like to me that someone at UCH has been listening to their customers..and responding.

If you don't like it, move onto another airline....you'll be out of my way in the upgrade line.

I'm sure WN would love to have your business.
True to a point,
Until the new MP plan is rolled out. Ma and Pa kettle, kayakers and others whom fly once/twice a year trump us road warriors for upgrades via Miles+copay/ and YB MH W fares...

Originally Posted by halls120
Excellent point. The 767 Ghetto Birds have atrocious overhead storage in Y.

Better news would have been getting rid of Colgan entirely.

Adding Channel 9 to the PMCO fleet, keeping the 777 3-class conversions on schedule, and not giving up F seats to add E+ to the PMCO fleet are finally changes I like.

Am I the only one who thinks that leaving the domestic 777's untouched signals that they aren't long for the fleet?

Someone earlier in this thread pointed out the odd timing of this press release.

Maybe it's because I'm such a suspicious cynic at heart, but I wonder if the timing of this announcement has anything to do with the beating UA is taking over the rumored downgrade of the MP program. [/

Spot on halls120, my thoughts exactly...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 21, 2011 at 8:42 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So my prediction is that aside from the obvious cases where they HAVE to fly a widebody (ORD/IAH/EWR-HNL/OGG), they'll switch to narrowbodies out of the West Coast once they're getting the SOC- and they'll use the ex-ghetto birds on some longhaul service.
No reason to wait for the SOC.

Originally Posted by meFIRST
I'm just curious : How is united going to handle the phasing out of the 3 cabin format on p.s Flights?

Specifically, what is going to happen to the IFL ex JFK?
And what happens when you have a mix fleet thoughout 2012. Some p.s flights will be 2 cabin and some 3?

Will the 3 cabin service be completely discontinued in 2012?

As it is, there is NO DIFFERENCE in the C and F service now, other than the lounge. You used to get different menus in F and C, now its the same (as of this month).
I'd expect the JFK IFL to close.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by sbm12
Later this fall. I do not have a specific date but a source has indicated that they will finally be restarting the LiveTV installs later this year. I am hopeful that these aircraft will also go straight to E+ as part of the IFE retrofit. The numbers being discussed seem like it could work out that way.
I'd imagine that channel 9 will cme along with this as well.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Isn't there also another thread that says CR-1s and UDU can't be used on BF flights? I assume that means we'll need SWUs to upgrade on the reconfigured 767s now? We have a 767 flight to KOA in February - I think I'll put in for the CR-1 upgrade now and hope they grandfather it.
Whether CR-1/UDU can be used to upgrade depends on whether the flight is marketed as BF and has BF service. If it isn't marketed that way then those upgrade instruments/methods can be used regardless f what the equipment is.

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Does it say if the flatbeds will be the UA version or CO version? I'm hoping for CO version.
I'd expect the UA version fr the 777 aircraft and the CO version for the P.S. and 763/764 aircraft.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 21, 2011 at 8:43 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Why wouldn't they continue no-UDU? They'll market PS as BF, same as EWR/IAH-HNL.
So, does that mean that any domestic flight operated by 777s, 764s and UA domestic 763s reconverted with the new lie-flat C seats will no longer be upgradeable using UDUs? I guess that basically leaves 737s, A320s, A319s, and non-PS 757s (and UX) as flights where UDU would apply.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
So, does that mean that any domestic flight operated by 777s, 764s and UA domestic 763s reconverted with the new lie-flat C seats will no longer be upgradeable using UDUs? I guess that basically leaves 737s, A320s, A319s, and non-PS 757s (and UX) as flights where UDU would apply.

No, they will, it depends on the route, not the aircraft.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:13 pm
mp2

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
Can't wait for E+ seats to be made available on the 777-200LRs that fly to India
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: VAG
Well I'm disappointed, because I guess this means that we're never going to get AVOD on the 747s.

Instead, some kind of wireless streaming to your BYO video device. But it doesn't say anything about installing power, and my laptop battery will probably last... ooh, about one sixth of the way from SFO to SYD, so... generally, it doesn't seem like a good move.

And apart from the disappointing lack of AVOD on the 747s, the other things don't make much difference for me. I suppose having E+ on a Q400 will be nice if I ever wind up flying on one. The gradual addition of E+ to Continental planes just means that starting next year I'll be able to get onto a United flight which *doesn't* have E+. I suppose larger overhead bins on the A320s are a bit of an improvement (though my carryon is international-sized rather than jumbo-American sized anyway). And... ehh, I never get to fly First or Business class anyway.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 21, 2011 at 8:44 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Thanks Scott.

I love the idea of F on the -400s. Something so oxymoronic about it.

So I guess PMUA 8-abreast J stays on the 3-class 77s? Well good thing (for me) my primare route is downguaged to 75.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Well I'm disappointed, because I guess this means that we're never going to get AVOD on the 747s.

Instead, some kind of wireless streaming to your BYO video device. But it doesn't say anything about installing power, and my laptop battery will probably last... ooh, about one sixth of the way from SFO to SYD, so... generally, it doesn't seem like a good move.
Time to upgrade to an iPad?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
You're upset because there's no someone on the plane with a better seat than you?
For a business class passenger two-class is much more preferable to three-class as in the two-class cabin Business(First) is their flagship product, while three-cabin business is merely the "middle tier". While hard product may be comparable the sense of prestige is lost.

Think about it as if UA had no 1K tier- then the 1Ps would be treated much better than they are now.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mp2
Can't wait for E+ seats to be made available on the 777-200LRs that fly to India
There are no 777-200LRs in the combined fleet. There are ERs and those will be getting the E+ seats along with all the other aircraft.

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
No. It means that if the flight is marketed as BF - namely JFK-SFO/LAX and HNL-EWR/IAH - then it won't get UDU/EUAs. I do not believe there are any other routes in the domestic network that do not qualify. DEN-HNL will be an interesting one to watch as it is currently a domestic config aircraft and it is switching to an international config.
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Dunno where the oxymoron is but none of the 767-400s are getting an F cabin. The retrofit will see them in a two cabin configuration, not three.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Thanks Scott.

Originally Posted by sbm12
Dunno where the oxymoron is but none of the 767-400s are getting an F cabin. The retrofit will see them in a two cabin configuration, not three.
I think he was referring to the Q-400s, not the 767-400s.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Hi Mr. O'Leary:

Originally Posted by UA Insider
[*]Improved long-haul comfort with more flat-bed seats. In September, we’ll begin installing all-new flat-bed seats in the premium cabins on 26 Boeing 767s
I hope that my systemwide vouchers will still be any good. Yeah, I know, I would be a more profitable customer if I was buying F and C, but at least because of these SWUs, you are getting a good chunk of my travel budget - $40K, possibly $50K soon.

These aircraft will also have audio-video on demand and in-seat power from nose to tail.

All of these aircraft will have advanced in-flight entertainment in First and Business and on-demand entertainment in Economy.
This is great news. Frankly, UAL metal video leaves much to be desired, but Continental is up to par with the best.

This fall we’ll also begin installing Economy Plus seating on our Continental mainline aircraft.
That is also a great news. I breathed better once I knew E+ was still going to be around. And right now I am avoiding Continental because of the lack of E+, unless I can get bulkhead. And then, when I try to reserve bulkhead through united.com on continental metal (but united flight number), I cannot get my seat assigned. I guess your IT guys have a few things for them to do?

We’re currently selecting a vendor to provide streaming video in-flight entertainment option on our 747-400 aircraft, enabling customers to access video options via their Wi-Fi-enabled handheld devices, tablets and laptop computers.
That is still fine, but I hope this does not mean the end of free programming. Especially international. I guess not, since the plane won't be able to see the sat anyway.

I guess people are nervous about their SWUs, so am I. But if you come up with something that still entices us to keep our loyalties with United/Continental, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the bottom line.

Last edited by skidooman; Aug 21, 2011 at 6:46 pm
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Why wouldn't they continue no-UDU? They'll market PS as BF, same as EWR/IAH-HNL.
I'm confused. If it's marketed as BF, then no UDU, same as EWR/IAH-HNL.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I was thinking, I wonder if this means a turn for the good? Could it be that Smisek was trying to push us, saw that it wasn't a good idea, then is retreating back? Would be nice if true...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.