Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update: Details about our $500M in onboard product improvements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update: Details about our $500M in onboard product improvements

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:51 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, BA GGL
Originally Posted by mduell
Also very interesting that the 752 fleet with Business Class will be flexible to serve non-P.S. markets.
Let me be the first to suggest that SFOBOS would greatly benefit from this configuration! I think they could make a ton of money from the tech crowd as AA has abandoned this market.

Also, I want to express my thanks for keeping Channel 9. Although it seems that many captains are opting out recently, I feel this is a real differentiator for UA.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:06 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Thanks for your posts UA Insider (though your gender keeps flipping around the past couple of months….lol).

I personally appreciate these hard product changes and upgrades (I consider them upgrades). For me, it’s all about getting to lay down and sleeping horizontally and converting all your wide bodies and 757’s to this configuration is great.

But coming from the UA side (I know you are from the CO side), I am still very concerned on your soft product changes, as there seems to be a huge difference between the two airlines prior to this merger. I look forward to hearing from you (either Scott or Shannon or ??) when you think the time is right about these upcoming changes.

In the mean time, I am just sticking to reservations I have and in a holding pattern
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
These are great news. I especially appreciate Channel 9 now being widely available.

I think the captains need to make channel 9 available instead of hiding behind myths promoted by bad pilots (pilots who got disciplined for wrong doing but blame channel 9 instead).

UA should make it a policy where captains who got too many complains about not enabling chnl 9, s/he would not be eligible for bonus or something like that.

Channel 9 is a very key differentiator against other airlines and it's the one reason why many of us chose to fly UA over other airlines. If the pilot purposely mess with such key factor, s/he should really not work for UA.

Just like in other industry, we are not allowed to mess with things that make our product unique. Doing so would get us fired.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
These improvements are positive indeed, and hope it will carry over to soft products such as in-flight meals and services.

I will definitely give back some of the flyings that I used to do on United if these positive changes continue to pop up.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:13 am

Scott, will the 767-300s also get new overhead bins?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:45 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by UA Insider
To further elaborate kb1992, the new p.s. 757 configuration will have 26 flatbed seats in Business Class, 70 seats in Economy Plus and 44 seats in Economy. There will be 2 less Economy Plus seats, but on the upside, the pitch will be increased from 34" to 35-37". We're still finalizing the plans on this, but this hopefully gives a better picture of where we're heading. Economy pitch will be a mix of 31-32".
Thanks for the clarification Scott. Always appreciate your participation.

I wonder if the JFK-LAX/SFO transcon route will continue to be branded Premium Service in the future; since the removal of F and addition of E- makes it fundamentally no different than the average UACO bird.

SunLover
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM
I've made snotty reference in past posts to "changes you'll like". But these are changes I *will* like. It's good to see long-delayed investment in UA.

As for the soft product, start by making the C-class chow vaguely worthy of the fare and then I'll really cheer. (The salads posing as apppetizers, the former Y-class desserts now served in C and the really gross, soggy mid-flight snack sandwiches are egregious examples.)

And I reserve the right to be snotty in the future if a) UA deserves it, and/or b) I'm in a bad move due to a UA foul-up.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I do note the consistent use of "Business Class" when referring to seats previously known only as BusinessFirst. Perhaps that brand will ride off into the sunset to join Shuttle and TED soon.
BusinessFirst is a ridiculous concept. No one - other than a few delusional souls - really consider it to be First Class. It's a fine business class product, and that's what it should be marketed as.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JAaronT
Will the 747 Wifi system just be for video, or internet too (I understand this is a technically demanding task)?
Given the other infrastructure needs (i.e. satellite systems that simply are not in place right now) that would be required for in-flight internet I'm guessing no on that front.

Originally Posted by SunLover
I wonder if the JFK-LAX/SFO transcon route will continue to be branded Premium Service in the future; since the removal of F and addition of E- makes it fundamentally no different than the average UACO bird.
Except that no other routes are guaranteed the premium forward cabin product on all flights like the p.s. routes are. A one-off aircraft flying a utilization/positioning route is different than a dedicated sub-fleet.

I am definitely intrigued by the reference to possible other uses for those p.s. aircraft. I would bet that they are seen on international routes before additional domestic routes show up. The reference to SFO-BOS above is a good reason why. If AA has already abandoned the market then why should UA offer something more than just a non-stop flight to attract business. Unless they're trying to pull customers away from JetBlue they probably don't need to.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by halls120
BusinessFirst is a ridiculous concept. No one - other than a few delusional souls - really consider it to be First Class. It's a fine business class product, and that's what it should be marketed as.
+1

All this BusinessFirst silliness should end, and I'm glad it has. You can market it as something else, such as Envoy or BusinessElite, but to imply that it is somehow better than business class is just insulting the intelligence of your customer base.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:17 am

Are you complaining about the UA 7 abreast recliners that are being phased out or the UA 8 abreast lie-flat that is being installed? The latter are about the same seat/bed dimensions as the CO BF product, although they have 2 more non-aisle seats per row. You don't need to UG to first for comfort.
Sorry for my earlier post, I made a mistake. I've flown all of the various 777 biz class configs (UA 7 across, UA 8 across and CO 6 across). The CO 6 across flat bed configuration are definitely my favorite.

My point is that if I'm a paying business class customer, then I'm going to choose the airline that provides me the most comfort without fiddling around with SWUs or upgrade chances to first. I'd rather get a decent business class seat (like the CO 6 across flat bed) rather than take my chances with buying a ticket for a UA style 8 across flatbed and then try for an upgrade to First. SWUs are too hard to use anyway, they are practically worthless.

For the long-haul routes, a 2 class configuration with CO style flat bed seats is what I think UA/CO should be striving for. Otherwise I'm afraid a lot of premium international travelers like me will flee to other airlines with better options for business class.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:29 am

+1

Like I said, two-cabin business will always be superior to three-cabin business- more as a psychological thing than anything else.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
ruh roh...you might have to change your signature to something lower now.
hehehehe the percentage of SMI/J batting changes I don't like is down from 99.5% to 90% now.

But we still face massive cuts in benefits. One after another.

Just did CR1 upgrade on CO flights AUS-IAH-SFO. I am a bit surprised that R>0 on many CO flights.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Umm I don't see anything I don't like.

<checks calendar>

Nope, not April 1. Odd.
Sounds good but I think we need to worry about Oct 1st and the MP roll-out. That could be the deal killer. As much as the 'ghetto bird' was maligned on here, I liked the extra UDU upgrade advantages to Hawaii that it provided, especially as you could UDU them. I suspect lie-flats and UDU upgrades from CA to Hawaii will be axed by CO dba UA not to mention UA 1...err I mean UA 201 ord-hnl.

Last edited by Renard; Aug 22, 2011 at 7:24 am
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by kb1992
C/F: 38->26

Y: 72->114

So they cut premium seats by 1/3 and increased Y seats by 60%.

Not to mention no increased legroom in UA's worst E+ cabin.

My best wishes to people in NYC/LA/SFO trying to find NC flying p.s.
I think a point a lot of us miss is that the dynamics of the JFK-LAX/SFO market have changed substantially since 2004 when the p.s. product was introduced. JetBlue and Virgin America have entered, putting downward pressure on yields and seizing about 17% of the market collectively, while Delta has grown its franchise, especially on JFK-LAX. As many have noted, the SAG agreement was a major driver of F demand, and this provision has been modified, causing F demand to dry up considerably.

As for E+, previously the airline was giving away a product it could not capture much of a revenue premium for. Now, the legroom will be increased to match the rest of the fleet (a major criticism of p.s. E+ in the first place) and UA will have the opportunity to upsell the product to non-elites. This is a net positive, in my mind.

Finally, the improved C hard product will be a quantum leap over the existing C and a dramatic improvement over the current F. As p.s. F is not highly differentiated from p.s. C to begin with, I find it difficult to spin this as anything but a favorable development.

Given the limited number of premium seats (matching CO's existing Hawaii fleet) and lower engine thrust ratings, I suspect they'll be used for Hawaii rather than longhaul.
The domestic 767-322/ERs have been uprated to match their longhaul sisters.

Originally Posted by meFIRST
Specifically, what is going to happen to the IFL ex JFK?
Speculation is that JFK will be one of the early United Club renovations, which will result in the removal of the IFL to create a larger lounge, complete with showers and improved amenities. Just a rumor, though.

Originally Posted by thebyte
With the Domestic 767-300s being converted to longhaul, I'm interested in finding out what aircraft they plan to use for the Hawaii flights. 2 years from now, will it be all 757 and 737's only?
PMCO ETOPS-rated 757-33N (ex-TZ) are candidates for Hawaii service, since they have similar capacity to the outgoing domestic PMUA 763ERs.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Or, its a simple case of robbing Peter (gutting MP) to pay Paul (fancy plane upgrades)
Just like so many were absolutely certain that E+ was going away, then when that didn't happen, that PMCO F capacity would be removed to accommodate E+, and that international F service was dead in the water. We'll see what happens.

At any rate, capital expenditures for aircraft interior upgrades are recoverable. From an accounting perspective, the operating expense of a frequent flyer program and capex are apples and oranges.

Originally Posted by edcho
Nevertheless, this is good news (almost seemed like it is "planned" distraction to divert attention from the outrage on the other thread). heh
A half-billion dollar fleet improvement plan might be the most expensive diversionary tactic I have ever seen!

Originally Posted by Renard
I suspect lie-flats and UDU upgrades from CA to Hawaii will be axed by CO dba UA not to mention UA 1...err I mean UA 201 ord-hnl.
Where are the UA lieflats to Hawaii (besides HNL-NRT)? CO implemented EUA West Coast to Hawaii before the merger, I doubt it goes away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.