Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to refund a refundable/award ticket after check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:48 am
Original Poster

I've tried doing a search, but have come up with nothing (perhaps because the answer is so obvious no one's bothered to ask it).

I'd like to know if its possible to refund a refundable ticket after check-in? If so, do I have to request the refund before the flight leaves, or can I just be a no-show and request the refund later (within one year of the ticket issuance)? Finally, do I have to buy a Y fare, or does an M fare also allow a refund following a no-show?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 18, 2011 at 6:11 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With most refundable tickets it can be refunded after check-in or even after departure. But you really should read the fare rules to know for certain. Making a blanket statement yes or no or about a specific fare bucket versus the actual fare in question can get you in trouble.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks...I tried reading through the fare rules, but to be honest, I didn't understand much of it, and didn't see anything about the refund rules. I assume they would be in either the "Penalties" or "Voluntary Changes" sections, but I couldn't find it.

If it helps at all, here's what I was able to find in the rules:

ECONOMY RESTRICTED FARES B FOR ONE WAY FARES

CHANGES TO ORIGINATING FLIGHT - WHOLLY UNUSED TICKETS ARE FULLY REFUNDABLE. CHANGES ARE PERMITTED AT ANYTIME.

I just wasn't sure whether to interpret that as "anytime" BEFORE check-in/departure or, more generally, "anytime."
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
anytime means anytime. even after check in, even 10 month later. I did it several times.
Originally Posted by GMUJD06
Thanks...I tried reading through the fare rules, but to be honest, I didn't understand much of it, and didn't see anything about the refund rules. I assume they would be in either the "Penalties" or "Voluntary Changes" sections, but I couldn't find it.

CHANGES TO ORIGINATING FLIGHT - WHOLLY UNUSED TICKETS ARE FULLY REFUNDABLE. CHANGES ARE PERMITTED AT ANYTIME.

I just wasn't sure whether to interpret that as "anytime" BEFORE check-in/departure or, more generally, "anytime."
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GMUJD06

Presuming that you have the correct fare rules cut & pasted above, yes, you may cancel after check-in. It's what you paid for !

As a note, while you could theoretically wait until after the flight, the person who suffers from that is not UA (which likely overbooked and will simply give your no show seat to the next person in line), but our fellow pax waiting for seats who appreciate the certainty that they've got a seat.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:05 am

What about a award ticket? Can I get a refund after check in, if I am a no show?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:41 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by moebod
What about a award ticket? Can I get a refund after check in, if I am a no show?
Edit: After check-in: yes. After departure (no show)...

I just skimmed through the rules (24 pages) of a recent reward ticket, the MP program rules, and award ticket rules and see nothing that says you cannot get a refund for a no-show. The only thing in the fare rules was the standard one-year validity thing and "AFTER EACH TICKETED DEPARTURE DATE NO STANDBY IS PERMITTED."

The page about MP ticketing & fees says "When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure."

Rule 5.C of the CoC states that UA may cancel a reservation for a no-show without advance notice. However, it does not say that this precludes a refund.

All that said:
  • Do not trust me. I did not read all of the relevant documents.
  • Unless shown good evidence to the contrary, I would assume a no-show would get no refund (either paid of reward).

Last edited by ralfp; Jul 26, 2012 at 3:29 pm
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
+1 Yes they can be refunded after check-in (and even after departure).

I've often purchased several refundable tickets and checked in to give myself more options during delays / storms. I usually just reconcile when I get home the next day (post 3/3).

A risk is that somehow a GA boards you without actually seeing your BP (perhaps someone is in your seat just prior to departure when they check to see if you're on board or someone with a similar sounding last name rings the call button when paged). In that case you'll likely be SOL unless you call while the flight is still airborne.

It's important to remember there is a difference between your reservation and your ticket. As each flight in your reservation is flown the associated coupon from your ticket is matched and used (pulled) while any unflown coupons remain in the ticket.

I agree with the above that if you no show they can (and will) cancel the unflown parts of your reservation but that should not impact your ticket (which is what represents the money you've paid). Standby is a fucntion of the reservation and has nothing to do with the ticket (in this context). Tickets are generally valid for one year from issuance; I assume (and as others have noted) if refunds for unused coupons are permitted they generally can be done any time during the one year validity regardless of the status of your reservation.

I cannot speak to award tickets.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Also you'll see lots of posts where people buy refundable tickets to get through security to visit the club or otherwise access airside without actually flying, and then refund them when they're done.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12
With most refundable tickets it can be refunded after check-in or even after departure. But you really should read the fare rules to know for certain. Making a blanket statement yes or no or about a specific fare bucket versus the actual fare in question can get you in trouble.
wow...even after departure?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by moebod
Yes. I think the award tickets are treated the same way as full fare revenue tickets (w/ the exception of redeposit/change fee for non/lower level elites). I actually did this earlier this month and had no issue getting the miles back. Missed flights were the return portion of the RT itinerary.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Once when a flight I was on was DL flight home at 6 am which cancelled (no crew showed up). While most people lined up at the DL counter to sort it out, I ran over to the Southwest counter inside the secure area and bought a one-way ticket home a back-up plan. Fortunately DL put me on a UA flight home in front of the plane so I returned the Southwest ticket. But WN is well known for being easy like that.

(edited) You could want buy a ticket, check in, go through security, sit in the lounge to meet some friends or family (or just sit there alone?) and then refund the ticket when you are done. But I'd be careful to know that I can return it. Maybe even let the agent know why you are buying a full fare refundable ticket... that way you have a face to go back to when you want to get the refund on your way out, just in case or to make life easier. They used to give out gate passes to get to the clubs, but I haven't heard of that happening anymore except for helping minors across the threshold.

Last edited by monkeshine; Feb 21, 2014 at 4:49 pm Reason: Already mentioned
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by monkeshine
Once when a flight I was on was DL flight home at 6 am which cancelled (no crew showed up). While most people lined up at the DL counter to sort it out, I ran over to the Southwest counter inside the secure area and bought a one-way ticket home a back-up plan. Fortunately DL put me on a UA flight home in front of the plane so I returned the Southwest ticket. But WN is well known for being easy like that.

(edited) You could want buy a ticket, check in, go through security, sit in the lounge to meet some friends or family (or just sit there alone?) and then refund the ticket when you are done. But I'd be careful to know that I can return it. Maybe even let the agent know why you are buying a full fare refundable ticket... that way you have a face to go back to when you want to get the refund on your way out, just in case or to make life easier. They used to give out gate passes to get to the clubs, but I haven't heard of that happening anymore except for helping minors across the threshold.
You don't need it buy a ticket to visit the UC. Check other threads where some screen shot the code for UC visit gate pass.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
I've had my ticket refunded after i boarded the plane. LH had several hours delay while sitting on the plane. I asked the FA if I could get out of the plane, and she said OK and when I did, and asked the GA if I could get my flight refunded, she did
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
what are you trying to do? i assume you want a refundable ticket to get past security for whatever reason. In that case i have done this many times with various airlines. For UA i just ask for a gate pass to use the United Club at the airports that have them, or i just buy a full Y ticket which is refundable even after checkin. Not sure about after takeoff, you have to read the fare rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.