Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Explorer Card Baggage Claim giveaway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A few local events to celebrate new card in LA, SF, Chicago and Washington.
Can't copy a rather extensive list of items - see the link.

http://www.explorercardbaggageclaim.com/#

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Purchase does not increase your chances of winning. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are twenty-one (21) years of age or older at the time of entry. Void where prohibited by law.

NOTICE PHOTO/VIDEO/AUDIO RECORDING: The MileagePlus Explorer Baggage Claim area is an area where photography, video, and audio recording (“Recording”) may occur. By entering, you consent to all Recording and their publication and reproduction for any purpose, such as advertising and publicity, by Chase Bank USA, N.A., United Airlines, and Visa U.S.A. Inc., their affiliates and representatives (the “Sponsor Entities”). You release the Sponsor Entities and all those involved from any liability connected with the Recording. You also waive all rights to any claims for payment or royalties for any publication of the Recordings, regardless of the purpose of such publication (e.g. printing, broadcasting, webcasting). You also waive any right to inspect or approve Recording.

1. Entry Period/How to Enter:

The MileagePlus Explorer Card Baggage Claim Giveaway (the “Promotion”) will be in operation in four cities on the following dates and times:
Market/Location Address Dates Local Time
Los Angeles/Americana at
Brand 889 Americana Way
Glendale, CA 91210 8/18/11 - 8/19/11 11:00:01 AM - 6:00:00
PM
While supplies last

San Francisco/Justin
Herman Plaza 1 Market Street
San Francisco, CA
94105 8/24/11 - 8/25/11 12:00:01 PM - 7:00:00
PM
While supplies last

Chicago/Pioneer Court 401 N Michigan Ave,
Chicago, Illinois 60611 8/31/11 - 9/1/11 11:00:01 AM - 6:00:00
PM
While supplies last

Washington DC Union
Station 50 Massachusetts Ave.,
NE Washington, DC
20002 9/19/11 - 9/20/11 12:00:01 PM - 7:00:00
PM
While supplies last

The Promotion is only open each day during the event hours listed above, while supplies last. To enter, participants must go to the MileagePlus Explorer Card Baggage Claim Giveaway at the locations on the dates listed above. To enter the baggage claim giveaway area, entrant must present photo identification, proof of age and residency to onsite event staff. Entrants will receive a claim ticket that they must present to an event staff member at the live baggage claim area, where they will be permitted to select one (1) bag from the carousel. Entrant will keep the bag, which may or may not contain a prize or a prize claim certificate. Limit one (1) entry/bag claim per person during entire promotion. Any attempt by a participant to enter the baggage claim giveaway area more than the maximum number of times permitted by using multiple identities or any other unauthorized entry method will void that participant's entry and that participant may be disqualified and asked to leave the event. By participating in the Promotion, each entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which shall be final and binding in all respects.

2. Eligibility:
Promotion is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, who are twenty-one (21) years of age or older at the time of entry. Employees of Chase Bank USA, N.A. (“Sponsor”), Visa, United Airlines, and each of their respective directors, employees, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies and each member of their immediate families (“Affiliate Entities”) are not eligible. Void where prohibited and subject to all federal, state and local laws.

3. Prizes/Odds:
Every bag contains a gift and some bags contain more valuable prizes. Prizes are awarded instantly via giveaway bags on the MileagePlus Explorer Card Baggage Claim carousel. Actual prize or prize certificate for high-value prizes are contained within each winning bag. If a bag contains a prize certificate, entrant must bring certificate to designated prize redemption area to claim the prize. Odds of winning any prize will vary by event location and are noted below. Prizes available while supplies last.

Total ARV of all prizes: $780,173 Limit one prize per person. Manufacturers and trademark owners of prizes are not sponsors of nor associated with this Promotion. Certain restrictions and blackout dates may apply. Prize cannot be sold, transferred or bartered in whole or in part and no substitutions or cash equivalents allowed, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a prize of comparable or greater value if a prize becomes unavailable. All prize details shall be determined solely by Sponsor. All prizes may be not be awarded. In order to claim MileagePlus Bonus Miles prize, winner must be (or sign up to be) a MileagePlus member.

Luxury Hotel & Resort Certificate: Package includes two (2) night's stay at any Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection property, up to $500 per night; daily breakfast for two at the hotel; a room upgrade, if available; early check-in and late check-out, if available; a very special amenity unique to each property. Reservations must be made by calling 1-866-973-2911. Valid for travel thru December 31, 2012. Reservations are subject to availability. The 2 night's stay must be used consecutively for one room per stay. The $500 per night credits cannot be applied to additional hotel nights, airfare, rental cars, ground transportation, gratuities, sightseeing activities, or any other items of a personal nature. Some hotels may require a deposit. Please ask the travel center for hotel rules and policies at the time of booking. We assume no liability for injuries and no responsibility for delays caused by accidents, breakdowns, or other conditions beyond control. Travel award cannot be extended or replaced if lost or stolen. No credit will be issued for unused days or portions less than $500 per night. Other terms and conditions may apply. Award has no cash value.

Inside Access Tickets LA: This December, you and a guest will spend an evening dining at one of the top restaurants in Los Angeles. The event details are still being finalized.

Inside Access Tickets SF: You and a guest will spend an evening among the marquee lights at the internationally renowned Mill Valley Film Festival on October 10, 2011, 5:00 - 11:00 pm. Package includes a private cocktail reception, a film screening and a question-and-answer session with the filmmaker, and a private post-screening dinner. Finally, you'll take home keepsake hardbound program book.*

Inside Access Package is not transferrable or redeemable for cash. Other costs including but not limited to transportation, parking, accommodations and incidentals are additional, unless otherwise stated. Package event details are subject to change. Events are also subject to cancellation. Must be 21 years of age or older to consume alcohol. 1-888-710-8256.

The winners will be solely responsible for all applicable federal, state and/or local taxes, and for any other fees or costs associated with the prize awarded.

9. Sponsor:
Chase Bank USA, N.A., 201 North Walnut Street, Wilmington, DE 19801. United MileagePlus Explorer Card Services 1 800-888-8756. Visa and its client financial institutions have not sponsored or offered this promotion in any way.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:37 pm

going to the one in LA

I figured out the expected value of just the mileage prizes the other day, but threw away the sheet of paper. I think it was an EV of about 25k miles though. Fingers crossed for 1,000,000.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:57 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi Everyone, I know we don’t usually post information on promotions here on FlyerTalk, but, as mentioned, Chase and United are celebrating the launch of the new MileagePlus Explorer Card with a Baggage Claim event starting tomorrow in Los Angeles at the Americana at Brand (Glendale).

There are some great prizes, including the chance to grab a bag off a special carousel that could contain 1 million United MileagePlus bonus miles. From here, the event will move on to San Francisco, Chicago and Washington D.C. More information can be found at: explorercardbaggageclaim.com. It's an exciting event and I hope some of you can participate.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights and Metrics
United Airlines
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
I attended the Giveaway today at the Americana in Glendale. Was there right at the opening, with about 30 other people. Seemed to be drawing a good crowd. I won two Red Carpet Club (or President's Club) one-day passes. Mrs. laangelsfan won a $200 Tumi gift card and two one-day Club passes.

A woman two people in front of me won 25,000 miles and then the MC of the event came and handed her another 5,000 miles. Don't think the woman was a flyertalker as she said she was going to use the 30,000 miles to go to Japan...

Most people won baseball caps advertising the new card so I felt lucky to win anything beyond that.

Best of luck!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
It was a fantastic event! There weren't too many people thanks to the lack of exposure from faux blogs

There was an almost real luggage carousel with all kinds of bags coming off the belt. Every person was eligible to pick one bag and he/she got to keep the bag (it's cheapo, but a perfect gym bag) and whatever was inside.

Day 1 seemed to have a lot more winner in the beginning than day 2. I heard several 25,000 miles giveaways with tons of 5K. Day 2 was a lot more quiet, but I heard someone won 100K miles. I was surprised at how high the odds were to get 1 million miles. It was only 1:1200! 25K was only 1:120. ^

I walked away with a lot of miles and so did all of my friends and coworkers Actually, I was hoping that I wouldn't win the 1 million or 100K prizes as their retail value was at 2.75 cents per mile, which meant that I would have to pay about 1 cent per mile in taxes. No thanks! I think I can do better with the upcoming US Airways grand slam

I'm amazed at how easy it was win prizes, but can't help to think this is just a copy cat of what AA did in LA a couple of weeks ago. AA's LAX scavenger hunt was better as every prize was at least 5K to 30K. It's fun to get the clues out of the vending machine and they called it "mileage run"
Old Aug 20, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Thanks for sharing the pictures! I'm planning on going to the SF one next week and will report back.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA, MR, SWRR, SPG, HH
I'll be in SF on business next week as well, and will try my luck!

Ironically, I was in Glendale last night for a party, but couldn't get there before the 6pm cutoff.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Day 1 seemed to have a lot more winner in the beginning than day 2.
Ironically, I live in SF but will be in DFW for a MR day 1 of the SF event! Hopefully stuff will remain day 2
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
I'll be stopping by Wednesday enroute to SFO, exactly at noon so that I can make the 1:55pm flight to JFK.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:27 am

I heard about the promotion quite a bit on radio adverts, but had to work both days so there was no way I'd be able to hit the Americana. However I did hit Uniteds Tweetup a couple of months ago and walked away with an international r/t ticket for 2 that I'm in the process of trying to figure out where and when to go.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Premier Plat (1.2 MM), Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, GE
I will be in DC on business from 9/19-9/21. I've already got the dates in my calendar! Thanks for sharing!

I missed out on the Glendale event because I went to the Americana on Saturday, 8/20 (ugh) thinking the event would be held on a weekend.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Just got back to work from the SF event. The setup was just as BlissWorld showed us. Inside the backpack I selected from the carousel was a Visa hat (which I already gave away) and a lapel pin depicting the Explorer Card with an SFO tag on the corner. Several folks won 25K miles and 50K miles in the 20 minutes or so I was there.

I waved to Pat89339 exiting the claim area just as I was entering. ^ Any other FTers there at noon today?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Just got back to work from the SF event. The setup was just as BlissWorld showed us. Inside the backpack I selected from the carousel was a Visa hat (which I already gave away) and a lapel pin depicting the Explorer Card with an SFO tag on the corner. Several folks won 25K miles and 50K miles in the 20 minutes or so I was there.

I waved to Pat89339 exiting the claim area just as I was entering. ^ Any other FTers there at noon today?
I was down there lined up with a couple coworkers right at noon. I've never had great luck with raffles so wasn't expecting anything huge, you know a couple thousand miles or a RCC pass or two. Well, I ended up winning just the Visa hat and lapel pin which have already gone into the 'free stuff' corner of the break room at work. My coworker won 50,000 miles though, so better luck to the rest of you!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:59 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Just got back from the S.F. event.
Sure was nice to have Premier line access as the general line was at least 50 deep at 1:30 p.m.

Only got the Visa cap and lapel pin (+ the choice of bag).
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Wife and I also only got the hat and pin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.