Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to special meals (no more special meals on domestic flights after 10/1)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to special meals (no more special meals on domestic flights after 10/1)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
BIG to this.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Often1
The unfortunate consequence of UDU/EUA freebies. UACO has to make a decision. Either improve the domestic F soft product and sell it as that or allow it to continue the slide and rename it E++. I would be thrilled so see a better F soft product, including special meals and am willing to pay for it.
Wait wasn't your prophecy so far that F&C are for paying customers or/and corporate partners with massive discounts only?

Where does UDU fit into that dogma?

btw I was always unhappy that UA did not have a "red meat" special meal as on some routes chicken or turkey was offered a meat surrogate. I get now we all get shafted the same way ...

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I'm sure by "Latin America", they mean Mexico and Central America, not South America.
Because the language's they speak in South America are not of Latin origin ?

Latin America very clearly comprises Central and South America and segregates the continent from he English/French America domain.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Joshua
UDU doesn't have anything to do with it. If CO/UA want to sell more F class seats, they can restrict the upgrade inventory. They could even come up with a separate booking class for CR-1 or SWU upgrades and give more availability in that.

CO/UA paid F class fares have been going up lately, which isn't going to boost the number of paid bookings. As far as I can tell, CO/UA is not interested in the domestic pre-paid F class passenger (other than p.s. flights). They would much rather upgrade an Elite for free or sell an upgrade at check-in for $50 or $200 or whatever.

US Airways recently improved their First Class meals (albeit they were horrifyingly bad before the improvements) and they've been unlimited for preferreds for over a decade.
A soft product improvement to UACO F means significantly higher fares and much greater restrictions on UG (not simply elimination of UDU). I am thinking more along the lines of p.s.

The US changes only took the F soft product from Aeroflot during the former Soviet era to a basic minimum. US has a different route & customer base and is highly unlikely to ever sell much F product on its domestic routes.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Where does it end, Jeff?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by weero
Because the language's they speak in South America are not of Latin origin ?

Latin America very clearly comprises Central and South America and segregates the continent from he English/French America domain.
Clearly? French is as Latin as Spanish and Portuguese.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Why am I not surprised?

Originally Posted by Often1
I would be thrilled so see a better F soft product, including special meals and am willing to pay for it.
As am I -- for the meal itself, that is. Why not offer premium domestic F meals like the premium int'l. Y meals? A $10-15 surcharge when upgraded via UDU would be entirely fair. Many of us don't eat beef, and if it takes a fee to guarantee not getting beef (or meat or dairy at all, or high sodium or fat content, etc.), so be it.

But this latest enhancement? Very thoughtless and passenger-hostile.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
Wow. Part of the reason I have chosen UA over AA for all of my flights (all domestic F) has been the meal. The rest of the experience is similar, but UA has ovo lacto vegetarian options. Now...there's not much difference for me.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
For some of us, a special-order meal is not a luxury, but a REQUIREMENT. If my wife eats anything containing gluten, she's perhaps hospital-bound, and at a minimum in bed for 3 days...She's on the 'severe' side of the scale with her Celiac Disease.
According to the link in the OP, a gluten-free option will continue:

The following special meal types will continue to be available:
Gluten Intolerant (GFML)
Hindu Vegetarian (HNML)
Kosher (KSML)
Muslim (MOML)
Asian Vegetarian (AVML)
Vegan (Strict) Vegetarian (VGML)
Child’s (CHML)
Japanese (JPML)

(Err, I just caught where you're from MBS, and this may not apply after all.)

Last edited by AeroWesty; Aug 13, 2011 at 10:45 am Reason: My bad
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by AeroWesty

Gluten Intolerant (GFML)
Hindu Vegetarian (HNML)
Kosher (KSML)
Muslim (MOML)
Asian Vegetarian (AVML)
Child’s (CHML)
Japanese (JPML)
But only on international, NY-sf/lax and Hawaii flights, excluding Latin America
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by eap
It is late, but this sort of "harmonization" makes my blood boil.

For more details, read the entire article on the United AFA's site:
http://www.unitedafa.org/news/details.aspx?id=6430
This is why I hate mergers --- each airline adopts the worst of the other airline.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by mre5765
Clearly? French is as Latin as Spanish and Portuguese.
No. Not to the same degree.

But more so than English and German, I concede.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
^

All these unique little snowflakes aren't worth the cost of carrying them.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 2:44 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AeroWesty

Gluten Intolerant (GFML)
Hindu Vegetarian (HNML)
Kosher (KSML)
Muslim (MOML)
Asian Vegetarian (AVML)
Child’s (CHML)
Japanese (JPML)

(Err, I just caught where you're from MBS, and this may not apply after all.)
Yes, on international flights/Hawaii only, from the article:

In addition, special meals will no longer be available in any class on most domestic flights in addition to Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean.

Special meals will be available in the premium cabins in select domestic markets to include flights from New York (JFK) & Newark (EWR) to/from San Francisco and Los Angeles as well as on flights to Hawaii.

Why does where I'm from have any effect on this applying or not?

I see DL still offers special meals on most flights...They're looking more and more attractive every day.

This is getting ridiculous. Tell me, dear CO defenders, WHAT IS CO BRINGING TO THIS MERGER, OTHER THAN CUTBACKS?!?!?!? Defend this one here. Tell me how less service for flyers is better.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 3:26 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Honestly, did it cost UA that much more to load special meals when requested? Does CO not realize some pax do have dietary restrictions?

I thought CO folks claimed their food was so great... apparently it's "you'll eat what we want, and you'll like it."
Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
No, CO claimed that their First and Business class meals are so delicious you'll want seconds.

How about a trip down memory lane? Its only about 2 years old:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjaFRiWCUMg
"everything you should expect from an airline" -- except the pillow is gone from even F now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.