Wiki Posts
Search

NZ to US: Can't stop in Asia?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, US, B6, CO
NZ to US: Can't stop in Asia?

I'm planning my first trip to the southern hemisphere for myself and Mrs. XC-flyer to visit a friend in NZ. Thanks to the many good threads on hunting down award seats to AKL, I snagged seats in C on SFO-HNL-AKL for the outbound. However, on the return, I'd scoped out routing of AKL-KIX-SFO, flying NZ on AKL-KIX and UA on KIX-SFO, mostly because I could snag C seats on AKL-KIX and this would minimize the time we were forced into Y. But the *A award line denied the return routing, citing that you can't stop in Asia. I have never heard this rule and am a bit confused by it, especially since on a previous attempt to book this trip, I had outbound routing of IAD-NRT-AKL. Is the restriction on Asia only when flying into the states? For the moment, I think we can get E+ on AKL-SYD-SFO return routing instead, if we decide we can live with that. I *really* wanted C though. What's the deal with the Asia stop, and are there any final tricks to find C seats on the return? Oh, and for what it's worth, I don't currently have MP status. :-(

thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
When you book an award ticket the origin & destination city pairs have a maximum permitted mileage. Most likely the stop at KIX puts you over the top.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you booked via OnePass it would be permitted. Mileage Plus has much more restrictive routing rules for awards. If it isn't booked yet I'd call CO and see if they can hold the seat for you while you link the account and transfer the miles over.

Also double-check the service quality on the HNL-AKL flight. I think it is pretty mediocre. And unles you are on the CO 767 with the BF seats for SFO-HNL that will be pretty mediocre, too. You'll be spending a lot of miles for a decent chunk of the trip to be in a so so product.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:24 pm

Mileage Plus rules have had this routing restriction for eons.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 1:27 am

Try looking for some other options-

AKL-RAR-LAX has historically been very good availability, more so than AKL-LAX. Don't forget that you can fly via SYD (so SYD-LAX/SFO/YVR) or AKL-CNS-GUM-HNL-LAX as a last resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.