Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2013, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
to accrue enough miles to redeem in I or IN you generally have to have some level of loyalty, however marginal it may be spread out over time

XN has saved me more than once when i needed a last minute booking and it was >0 while X wasn't.
Old May 2, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA General member
Originally Posted by mathgeek1978
Coach savers awards for travel within North America booked this far out is not going to be a problem. It's the transpac and transatl awards (especially BF) that are hard to get.
What's the likelihood of 4 seats on same flights released at the same time? Should I look for 2 and 2 on different flights, then waitlist to get the same flights, or wait until seeing 4 all at once?
Old May 2, 2013, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by mitchmu

Can you see some cases for TPAC or TATL where IN > I?
Nope, but I've seen it quite a bit on GUM-NRT and vv. IN>I
Old May 2, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Nope, but I've seen it quite a bit on GUM-NRT and vv. IN>I
Please post an actual date if/when you encounter again, as such a case appears to be a combination of a unicorn, the Loch Ness Monster, and Bigfoot. I just checked ~10 different days on that route, and for any that had I space, I=IN every time.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by ua-nyc
please post an actual date if/when you encounter again, as such a case appears to be a combination of a unicorn, the loch ness monster, and bigfoot. I just checked ~10 different days on that route, and for any that had i space, i=in every time.
ROTFL!

:d
Old May 2, 2013, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Please post an actual date if/when you encounter again, as such a case appears to be a combination of a unicorn, the Loch Ness Monster, and Bigfoot. I just checked ~10 different days on that route, and for any that had I space, I=IN every time.
no unicorn - its booking me into IN even though I also shows available (just picked one date - Aug.22). Shouldnt it just book into I?

My mistake then, I figured since it was booking me into 'IN', then 'I' didnt exist.
Old May 3, 2013, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
no unicorn - its booking me into IN even though I also shows available (just picked one date - Aug.22). Shouldnt it just book into I?

My mistake then, I figured since it was booking me into 'IN', then 'I' didnt exist.
It's random - sometimes it books into IN/RN, sometimes just I/R.

The bigger picture though remains that "special elite inventory", outside of the coach cabin, is a myth.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gld 1MM, HH Gold
I don't understand the intricacies of all the booking categories but I would like to use saver awards to get my parents from LHR to SFO at the beginning of October, returning at the end. Dates are flexible. There is negligible availability for business savers in any days. What there is are bad flights, long layovers and with econ cabin for the domestic legs. Economy Saver is available but they are old and I'd like to get them over in some comfort but without spending a whole year's worth of miles. There seems high availability of seats from the map. Should I wait, book econ now and look to change later or what?

Thanks for any advice.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by capnbob
I don't understand the intricacies of all the booking categories but I would like to use saver awards to get my parents from LHR to SFO at the beginning of October, returning at the end. Dates are flexible. There is negligible availability for business savers in any days. What there is are bad flights, long layovers and with econ cabin for the domestic legs. Economy Saver is available but they are old and I'd like to get them over in some comfort but without spending a whole year's worth of miles. There seems high availability of seats from the map. Should I wait, book econ now and look to change later or what?

Thanks for any advice.
You should book the ones with econ domestic connections, and longhauls in business - what you can do then is

a) waitlist on the United operated domestics
b) waitilist for the non-stop

c) if a) or b) dont clear - suck it up

seats on the map mean nothing. Under no circumstances should you book a standard award.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:57 am

Are economy saver award seats released over time?

Please don't beat me if this has been answered - I am sure it has and I looked and didn't see it.

At any rate, I am looking for a "saver award economy" from Europe to the US and am not seeing any for the dates I am looking for - this is four months out but a busy period, I know.

So, the question is, should I just give up on this or should I be monitoring the website because there is a chance "saver award" seats might be released?

Thank you.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:58 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
The short answer is yes seats may be released over time.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:13 am

Great, thanks Jeff. That's what I needed to know.

I can see loads of "Standard Awards" but no "Saver Awards" so I just needed to know if Saver Awards were already gone or if United just dripped them out over time...

Thank you.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:16 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
There has been a lot of speculation about the availability of saver awards--and particularly the supposedly-additional inventory for saver Y and C for elites. Saver international awards have by and large dried up for travel through early autumn it seems (particularly C and F awards, but Y also).

One thought is that US holding a mileage fire sale is driving other *A carriers to cut off award availability (because it's not just UA doing it).
Old May 9, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
For now, book a non-preferred route (maybe 1-stop) and waitlist for the direct (UA) flight. You can't waitlist for a different *A partner - for this, you'll need to setup an Expert Flyer alert.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:21 am

Interesting. So, you are saying that there has been some hypothesizing that Saver awards might be more available for elites? (But as you note later, demand might have dried up the availability.)

I am but a lowly Gold. I don't have to make a decision on this ticket right now, but I am going to watch for a week and see what happens....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.