Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:12 pm

Options for saver awards..

Looking at a trip to Nice Sept 28 - Oct 6-7 (DTW-NCE)

Looking for business or first saver.

Found a great flight from DTW-NCE via FRA business saver.

No saver awards for first of business on the way home either day though, only economy.

Are there any options if getting economy award? Can I buy up to business at that point? Or use points to upgrade? Or am I stuck?

ANy week in Sept or Oct would work.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MSUspartans
Are there any options if getting economy award? Can I buy up to business at that point? Or use points to upgrade? Or am I stuck?....
buy up -- may be offered
upgrades are not possible on international itins except for GS
You can purchase a business class award ticket and except econom seating which can be changed to business seating if space becomes available.
Purchase inbound (business) and outbound (economy) as separate OWs and rebook the return if business becomes available.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:11 am

Is it easiest just to call?

I have tried searching round trip. The flight DTW-NCE is great. Business saver, one stop. The return flight has no business or first saver options. Only economy.

I have tried searching individual legs. No dice again. It's the flight back that is killing me.

I know it's a free flight, but I would much rather have business back too. A buy up is probably going to be quite expensive I would imagine.

Can you even upgrade on an award ticket?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
buy up -- may be offered
upgrades are not possible on international itins except for GS
You can purchase a business class award ticket and except econom seating which can be changed to business seating if space becomes available.
Purchase inbound (business) and outbound (economy) as separate OWs and rebook the return if business becomes available.
Is there a fee or loss of some of the miles if i cancel that leg?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 14, 2013 at 9:16 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:00 pm

Already booked Saver Coach SFO-BCN - what r the chances of Saver Biz/First awards?

Me and a friend are going to Barcelona in mid-Oct from San Fran and both of us have lots of MP miles to redeem Saver Business/First roundtrip. After monitoring united award availability for months, Saver First was available but always for 1 person only. We gave up and booked Saver Econ last night...but there are plenty of seats left in First/Business. Would UA make these open seats available for Saver Rewards as the date gets closer? Trying to decide whether I should pay $4.99/month to sign up Expert Flyer to monitor availablity till our trip in Oct or there is no chance more Saver awards will be available....
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jtse818
Me and a friend are going to Barcelona in mid-Oct from San Fran and both of us have lots of MP miles to redeem Saver Business/First roundtrip. After monitoring united award availability for months, Saver First was available but always for 1 person only. We gave up and booked Saver Econ last night...but there are plenty of seats left in First/Business. Would UA make these open seats available for Saver Rewards as the date gets closer? Trying to decide whether I should pay $4.99/month to sign up Expert Flyer to monitor availablity till our trip in Oct or there is no chance more Saver awards will be available....
More space should open up. EF is worth it!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jtse818
What routing, via EWR on UA metal? Don't forget other options as they open up...UA via FRA, LH via FRA/MUC (I think they do the latter route)...UA via LHR and buying a cheap ticket to BCN, etc.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Definitely sign up for EF. I have received availability notifications from EF that UA CSRs are able to fulfill -- even when united.com doesn't show availability.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:13 pm

Thank you all for your advice! U just convinced me to sign up EF. Fingers crossed!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by exerda
More space should open up. EF is worth it!
Totally worth it. I believe you need to sign up for the 9.99 a month plan to monitor "O" availability on Expertflyer. I was in the same boat as you as of last week when EF notified me via email that there were 3 GFseats on the SFO-FRA flight. Snagged them all, this was for December.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Mrs ANC and I have EWR-ZRH(Destination)-BCN(Stopover)-VIE-JFK in BF for July. We booked back in December.

I also have EF and am using it to watch TK space as well should we choose to make some adjustments.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:46 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm trying to fly to ZAG in September, and saver C/F is almost totally unavailable. UA metal is also almost totally unavailable--everything TATL is on partners, mostly LH.

Well, that's what EF is for... I booked my wife on a saver Y award and have EF alerts for saver Y and saver C and saver F on the UA metal flights (why UA metal? because I want to use GPUs on mine--and no, there's no R availability, either).

I can't imagine mid-week, early-to-mid-September will remain unavailable for the next 6 months. Of course, I could be wrong and my wife will strangle me for her having to fly to FRA and me to MUC and her via BRU and me via ZRH on the way back...
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, *A Focus
No saver availability over the summer?

I've been really impressed with United's availability for sudden spur-of-the-moment type award travel, but was recently trying to book a return flight for a Japan trip, TYO to the southeast, and July/August are both completely devoid of saver awards. Nothing. Plenty going to Japan, but nothing coming back.

Actually I tried airports up and down the coast, and found that only JFK has any appreciable availability. Is this typical? Is July too far out right now to be booking award travel anymore?

Last edited by Eileron; Mar 16, 2013 at 11:06 pm
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've also found it incredibly hard to book a saver award trip from Europe to the USA during July. Virtually no availability on partners either - in the end found an itinerary with TK. I guess it's summertime, school vacation, they figure they'll sell a lot of the seats...
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Eileron
I've been really impressed with United's availability for sudden spur-of-the-moment type award travel, but was recently trying to book a return flight for a Japan trip, TYO to the southeast, and July/August are both completely devoid of saver awards. Nothing. Plenty going to Japan, but nothing coming back.

Actually I tried airports up and down the coast, and found that only JFK has any appreciable availability. Is this typical? Is July too far out right now to be booking award travel anymore?
High season, too much leisure travel...they need to save some for business

Once you're inside 2-3 weeks from any date, the space should open up somewhere. Doesn't help w/advance planning though.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: SPG
Why can't I find saver award space?

So what gives? For the past 12 months, whenever I try to book a Saver award ticket from SFO to either Boston or Maui, there is never Saver award availability. And I start booking on the very first day when the window opens. Same experience when I have looked at redeeming tickets for travel to Europe. And this also is happening despite being 1K and, in theory, having access to extra inventory! Has Untied effectively doubled the mileage requirement for award tickets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.