Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
I was really hoping against hope that this was some kind of a bug and somewhat distressed to see several similar reports come in already. It's almost like an instant 50% devaluation of my miles because the low availabilty is so sparse (arguably worse than Delta's at the moment) that it would be extremely difficult to get a trip booked at less than 50k.

All I can say is if this isn't a temporary glitch and on top of that benefits get devalued next year I'm probably (if I am smart) get out of the elite qualifying game and move away from the mileage credit card, etc.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kb1992
Can someone clarify if this is a .bomb bug, or the real thing?
The way to do that is to call.

This could also be the result of looking when the program is in great flux. Hopefully once things settle down, it will get better. Maybe it's because they don't even know what the program will be next year, or possibly what equipment they'll have yet. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part...
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GrizShel
I haven't really been accumulating much in the way of UA miles until the last year or two, but always had enough to book an occasional domestic US RT to a low competition city - and always had no problem booking a low mileage period during peak travel periods if I planned ahead. So today I go to look at next summer trips for the first time and found virtually nothing (maybe at best 1 out of 100 date combinations available) at low mileage in either coach or First. I'm surprised I haven't seen anything posted about this because this is the first time in many years I experienced such difficulty booking US trips with UA miles. Are others having the same problems I am having?

Examples: Looked from WAS to FCA, GEG, IDA, JAC, BZN, etc.
This is not a good sign, but don't despair. I would expect UA to hold award inventory at this point and then release it as merged operations w. CO progress and the carriers determine capacity for next summer with the economy in flux.

If paid travel drops, look to UACO to cut capacity, not drop fares or open award inventory. They need paid F/Y/B/M to profitably operate. That's bad for award travel, but it is what it is. If things are looking up and capacity isn't cut, come next Spring, you will see inventory opening, maybe even Saver.

The one thing I would not expect this go around is for any carrier to do what the carriers did in the last recession which is to keep the capacity and slash the fares (including opening award inventory).
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:06 pm

The same thing was true at WN. It was almost impossible to use a RR 1.0 Standard Award this summer.

The same thing is happening to AS also.

The fact is the canary has died in the coal mine. We are now in a new era of flying and FF programs, one brought on by by the near oligopoly now in place coupled with an industry need to at least try to earn an appropriate risk-adjusted rate of return.

My new strategy is to bag the whole loyalty thing and just buy the cheapest ticket for my needs. And yes, that includes buying miles when they go on sale; looking for exotic carriers for international C; using the cash saved from MRs to buy a Y-UP if I want.

For those that enjoy taking back-to-back JFK-SIN trips in E+ for status, I wold only say that the value proposition just isn't how it used to be. I used to take 5-10 days a year for such things.

No more.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Could it be the thinning of awards to make it easer on a transition to a merged system or possibly the fact of some routes being killed.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by davef139
Could it be the thinning of awards to make it easer on a transition to a merged system or possibly the fact of some routes being killed.
1. Capacity cuts
A. Fewer flights
B. Down-guage aircraft
2. Fewer discounted seats below F & Y/B, maybe M = even less awards
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Orwaid
The same thing was true at WN. It was almost impossible to use a RR 1.0 Standard Award this summer.

The same thing is happening to AS also.
We are talking about saver award NEXT YEAR.

2012 Summer.

330 days ahead.

Not this summer, 2011. Of course, you can't find anything this summer.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Use your miles for international premium cabin travel on partners. Great values and good availability.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:42 pm

Excuse me for not being clear -- When WN was making their changes in Feb and March, Standard availability for the next 6 months basically went away.

The bigger point is that low availability during peak seasons has become almost non-existent, believe for the reasons I outlined earlier. And that everyone needs to adapt to the new reality and alter how they seek maximum value.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:57 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Often1
1. Capacity cuts
A. Fewer flights
B. Down-guage aircraft
2. Fewer discounted seats below F & Y/B, maybe M = even less awards
Exactly... And with high load factors, in the last few years LF was pretty low, which meant there were more seats that revenue management could release for award redemptions... But now planes are fuller than the last few years, which gives revenue management less wiggle room to release seats for award redemptions...

So this experience is not just CO/UA, but true across most, if not all, carriers.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 3:00 pm

There is another post about this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-far-out.html

I'm having trouble finding Saver awards too. My husband is a 1P, and we use his UA miles to book Saver awards for me so I can accompany him on some of his business trips. If Saver awards disappear, we're going to have to look into other airlines.

This is a much bigger problem for us than the revenue-based requirements of the rumored new MileagePlus scheme. If Saver awards have gone the way of the dodo, our miles have effectively been halved.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
Use your miles for international premium cabin travel on partners. Great values and good availability.
Have you recently tried to get anything on LX? Nothing! Even LH is getting more difficult. I was trying to find 2 seats FRA-SFO for a 10-day window next July and there is zero availability either on UA or LH
Old Aug 20, 2011, 3:58 pm

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell
I guess a lot of us here are aware of this hint. However, for people not based in an international gateway (e.g. myself at BOS, which is not an international gateway for Asia), for my travel to Asia next July, I need to first jump on one of the domestic segments to the international gateway to use the partners. The problem now is the domestic segment.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 4:04 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by cfischer
Have you recently tried to get anything on LX? Nothing! Even LH is getting more difficult. I was trying to find 2 seats FRA-SFO for a 10-day window next July and there is zero availability either on UA or LH
The days of booking award space 250+ days out are numbered... Now as we get closer to the departure date that is when seats will start opening up...

It is a huge opportunity cost to the airlines when they release award space that could swoop up seats that otherwise would have gone to paying customers...

Originally Posted by UA vs NW
I guess a lot of us here are aware of this hint. However, for people not based in an international gateway (e.g. myself at BOS, which is not an international gateway for Asia), for my travel to Asia next July, I need to first jump on one of the domestic segments to the international gateway to use the partners. The problem now is the domestic segment.
Since you are a Platinum [no change fees on awards], go ahead and book the seat on the international flight. Then when the award space opens up for the domestic segment, call them and add that segment.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 21, 2011 at 12:30 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
LX has never been that easy, so I wouldn't regard it as a recent change. The BBJ service usually isn't too hard to find a seat on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.