Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to get a credit for a price drop *after* 24hrs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO, UA, DL, AA, CX, TG

Noob question, I know, but...

I booked a flight IAH-DEN and the price went from $158 -> $210 -> $186 in the span of <24 hours. I didn't check back until earlier today (within a week of the original booking and flight is a month away) and guess what? All the flights between IAH-DEN are back to $158. Any way to get the difference?

Would an online travel agent like Orbitz have been better? Who has the best "Best Price Guarantee"?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Welcome to FT!

You can always request a price adjustment, however you'd have to pay the $150 service fee to get it. So in this case it's not worthwhile. Years ago UA offered free price adjustments but that perk disappeared.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, kjohn

For most airlines after 24 hr will not do re-faring without fees. AS and B6 still do and UA did but changed 2 years ago (Yapta effect?)
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, kjohn

For most airlines after 24 hr will not do re-faring without fees. AS and B6 still do and UA did but changed 2 years ago (Yapta effect?)
Let's not forget WN...
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Let's not forget WN...
true - I'm not a WN traveller (for other reasons) but given their pricing structure are price drops common on WN?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO, UA, DL, AA, CX, TG
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Welcome to FT!

You can always request a price adjustment, however you'd have to pay the $150 service fee to get it. So in this case it's not worthwhile. Years ago UA offered free price adjustments but that perk disappeared.
I was told it can be done anytime within 30 days for a $50 processing fee.. hence, if you're not getting more than $50 back, it's not worth it.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by kjohn
Would an online travel agent like Orbitz have been better? Who has the best "Best Price Guarantee"?
The Orbitz price assurance guarantee is worthless, unless perhaps you're flying OW on a popular route. They will only refund the difference if another Orbitz customer books the exact same itinerary for a lower price.

Here's an example of how unlikely it is that this will happen. I once went to a conference where about 15 of my colleagues would also be attending. We were going to BZN, so there weren't many options, and in theory, we all had the same time constraints. 3 of us wound up on the same flight over, and 4 of us wound up on the same flight back. Nobody had the same flights as I did in both directions, and if they did, I'd only get a refund if they found a better fare, used Orbitz, and booked after I did.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, National Exec. Elite, Hilton Gold, GE
true - I'm not a WN traveller (for other reasons) but given their pricing structure are price drops common on WN?
I flew SMF-ONT every other week for almost four years (most of it on WN metal) and on average made 5-6 itinerary changes a year for price drops. Just change the itinerary, confirm, and get credit back.

Because of WN's no-change-fee policy, I felt comfortable booking a year's worth of travel in advance w/o worrying about future price drops, and the policy really does come in handy. However, it does come at a price since their fares are a bit pricier than UA S/T/K/L most times.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA MM
I was told it can be done anytime within 30 days for a $50 processing fee.. hence, if you're not getting more than $50 back, it's not worth it.
I thought it was around $150 domestic or $250 for international. Where did you see the $50 processing fee?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i'd be interested to know who told you this...if true, it's (welcome) news to me.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: United 1K (1 Million Miler)/ SPG Lifetime- Plat-
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Welcome to FT!

Over the last 12 years or so, I had United do this for free over 20 times... It was really one of the best reasons to buy on united.com instead of Orbitz etc... Earlier this month I learned the hard way United no longer does this... I had bought tickets for a group of 8 and the price went down $60.00 or so dollars each.

So the obvious question is... with this benefit gone, why buy on United.com anymore?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I don't fly them a lot, but I've gotten several credits of between $25 and $50 due to price drops when they run a sale.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Let's not forget WN...
The WN pricing structure is really no different than any other airline. They use random letters assigned to various numbers just like everyone else. Is there really any legitimate difference between "Wanna get away" and "Deep-discount economy" when all is said and done??
Old Aug 14, 2011, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
If I were you, I will email Customer Solutions anyway.

The worst is they said no.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Don't know where you heard this, but it's not true. You can request a price adjustment anytime, but for a nonrefundable ticket, first you're going to pay a $150 change fee for a domestic ticket or $250 for an international one. Not usually anything left after those fees to refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.