Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Enhancements coming - Pre-Departure Beverages...September 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancements coming - Pre-Departure Beverages...September 2011

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:35 pm

I was given my choice of pre-departure beverage in F on a A319 IAD-BOS this past friday. I was pretty shocked and wasn't sure if the purser was just awesome of if this was a new policy, but if it is a new policy that's about the only change I "like" so far.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Yuengling
Is there any hope that the new stuff will get better? Coffee just isn't that complicated.
Actually good coffee is very complicated. To be properly prepared water must be a specific temperature which is often not controllable with the coffeemakers on most airplanes. Canada's major coffee shop chain has refused to license any airline to make its coffee inflight, lest its image suffer. And this is our main mass market brand! European and Asian airlines that care about coffee in F and C install Nespreso machines. But for coach such capsule machines are impractical and most Americans don't know good coffee when it's offered to them. Even hotels now introducing capsule machines in their rooms use the most insipid blends!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Shareholder, good coffee may/may not be complicated. I am not a perfectionist or coffee gourmet... but I do know that I enjoy my fresh ground Gevalia whole bean coffee every morning at home. I would not trade it for anything else at 6:30am.

People have different tastes in coffee. I would be very hesitant to say that a country's people (ie... Americans... from your posting) wouldn't know good coffee when it is offered to them. I know people who prefer colored water to something with some zing. But that's what they enjoy! More power to 'em. I always warn people who are getting ready to drink what I brew that it might be a bit strong for them.

Wine appreciation depends on individual taste. Fine cheeses depend on individual taste. Chocolate depends on individual taste. So does coffee! What tastes great to one person may be swill to the next!!

But I still am hopeful that my Wednesday morning flight on UA will serve up something with a little bit of flavor...... not looking forward to it if it is what folks have been talking about here. I'll have my Gevalia before leaving home.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by kluau88
There has been much discussion about pre-departure beverages well here's a change as SMI/J would say I'm hoping you will like.

For pre-departure beverages they will start fulfilling individual requests instead of the pre-poured options you are used to seeing on domestic and international flights. The requests can include (wine, beer, alcohol, and soda).

Coffee....yes bye bye Starbucks and hello Journeys, United's Gourmet Custom Blend. We'll have to wait for the reviews to see how premium this product is.
I feel bad for the FAs working F and having to do pre-departure beverages on 2-class/domestic 763s.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first
I feel bad for the FAs working F and having to do pre-departure beverages on 2-class/domestic 763s.
From what I understand, these planes are being configured for international service in the near future. So perhaps your concern is less pressing
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: Continental Onepass
No more Starbucks.........???

That was the only thing I was looking forward to in this merger. As a Continental flyer and a big coffee drinker, I thought one day soon I would enjoy a cup of Starbucks onboard, I cannot believe it is gone!....

Awe well!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by channa
This may be the only change I like so far.
+1!
Ok, and the new UA app, to be fair. ^ So that makes 2 positive changes. I stopped counting the negative ones.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by lax2010
It is actually hit or miss! On my return flight ORD-LAX today, FA was just handing out the boring OJ and H2O! If was too early to ask for any thing else anyway :-)
Oh, such a tearful statement. Is it ever too early to have a screwdriver or bloody?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Oh, such a tearful statement. Is it ever too early to have a screwdriver or bloody?
Some of us lightweights get trashed over that stuff.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: United 1K 2 million miler Starwood Marriott Hilton
I was afraid CO was going towards UA....

On my last CO flights EWR/LAS/EWR no preflight drinks were offered at all. There was no urgent departure, delivery of supplies to explain it other than a lazy crew. Has anybody ever walked upfront and just asked for a drink?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by boat9781
From what I understand, these planes are being configured for international service in the near future. So perhaps your concern is less pressing
In that case, after the planes are reconfigured, the F FAs won't struggle at all, but the ones working in J still might.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
In that case, after the planes are reconfigured, the F FAs won't struggle at all, but the ones working in J still might.

But I think they will be configured in all J (BF), in which case they will have trouble.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Only had OJ or water on ORD-ROC yesterday.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by mre5765
Including international first? I will believe it when I see it.
Will pre-departure beverages on UA in IF and C be served in glasses (as in breakable) rather than plastic cups? UA is just so tacky in this regard.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Sabai
Will pre-departure beverages on UA in IF and C be served in glasses (as in breakable) rather than plastic cups? UA is just so tacky in this regard.
I hope so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.