Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Enhancements coming - Pre-Departure Beverages...September 2011

Enhancements coming - Pre-Departure Beverages...September 2011

Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by unitedfa

Remember drink early, drink often! cheers!
Fantastic rule to live by.

Thanks for the post, FA.. Good to see such excellent and proactive customer service!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I get that argument -- and it in fact may be valid. But reading what the unin response is to this It seems to me that they want it both ways. From the link above come these tidbits:

Eh, they're just saying what they can to try to make their case. At least there's an attempt to substantiate what they're saying. Mr. Smisek could try that once in a while.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by channa
Eh, they're just saying what they can to try to make their case. At least there's an attempt to substantiate what they're saying. Mr. Smisek could try that once in a while.
I get that they don't want to do anything they consider "extra" and that CO has additional staff and can therefore better handle customised pre-departure drinks. That's reason enough for them to cmplain and request more staff. 9/11 9/11 9/11 is a BS argument.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
I get that argument -- and it in fact may be valid.
I've seen two FAs struggle to do PDB water/OJ (nothing custom) on a A320 this week (repeatedly had to hold up boarding for the back of the bus rather than wait a minute or two in order to serve F at a more leisurely pace. I've also seen a crowd of 763 FAs effectively work through the cabin, do custom drinks, and avoid interfering with the boarding of Y (with a few FAs available near the front to "keep an eye" on the incoming passengers )

Implemented just days before the tenth anniversary of the events of September 11th...
One of these days, we won't have to hear the "rah, rah, because of 9/11" argument anymore. That said, I hope it won't be in the wake of an even greater calamity that fills its place for taking away pillows, PDBs, and civil liberties.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:50 pm
Suspended

I get that argument -- and it in fact may be valid. But reading what the unin response is to this It seems to me that they want it both ways. From the link above come these tidbits:
Agree. If we've reached the point in the security process where we are relying on the FAs to identify terrorists we've already had so many systems failures that we are likely screwed. Frankly, FAs need to focus on F passengers. They are the ones paying the bills.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by UAGuy2
Frankly, FAs need to focus on F passengers. They are the ones paying the bills.
Sure, once the door closes and I start getting paid.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Hachiko
Please don't trot out that well wrn argument. When your on-the-clock pay period starts is a function of what the unin negotiated. It already takes into account what you have to do and when you have to do it. Had they negotiated for the clock to start the moment you walk on-board and to stop the moment you walk off that your hourly pay would be lower. Those times are, however, harder to track (particularly as they can and often do differ for each employee). As the door open/close times are logged, that is what is used for tracking.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
If you are in uniform and on the clock, eg required to be present on the aircraft, then you are being paid even if the actual calculation of how/what you are being paid for timewise doesn't directly reflect it
Old Sep 9, 2011, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
If I complained every time my boss gave me more work, I'd quickly be out of a job. I have no sympathy for these "first responders providing the last line of defense."
Old Sep 10, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by ual787
Look at this http://unitedafa.org/news/details.aspx?id=6515

This is the flight attendant union's response to the PDB...
What would be the AFA's response be regarding safety, 911; Mom's apple pie if for each pre-flight drink served the FA was given an additional $10?

Last edited by Michael D; Sep 10, 2011 at 6:35 am Reason: wording
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Michael D
What would be the AFA's response be regarding safety, 911; Mom's apple pie if for each pre-flight drink served the FA was given an additional $10?

That's not what they're asking for. They're saying that if the CO service standard is going to be used on this item, they would like the CO level of staffing as well.

Seems logical.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by channa
That's not what they're asking for. They're saying that if the CO service standard is going to be used on this item, they would like the CO level of staffing as well.

Seems logical.
Okay I left out staffing in my list of reasons, but would the AFA had said anything if the FAs were going to get an extra $10 for each pre-flight drink they served?

My money is on NO.

OTOH I have no objections to raising the average ticket price a buck or two to pay for an additional FA.

Last edited by Michael D; Sep 10, 2011 at 7:24 am Reason: add content
Old Sep 10, 2011, 2:34 pm

Old Sep 10, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
UA835 9/9 BOS-ORD 6:55am. O/J or water offered. "Diet Coke, no ice, with a lime, wxguy? Certainly!" Served with a smile ^.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:53 pm

9/10 EWR-IAH: PDB of choice
IAH-TUS (SkyWest): offered pre-poured water and OJ, got a surprised expression and a short pause when I asked for club soda, then "Sure".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.