Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Blog speculation on UA/CO new Mileage Plus scheme

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blog speculation on UA/CO new Mileage Plus scheme

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BearX220
... I agree with you, but look at how CO management, these past few years, moved away from rewarding historic loyalty patterns and toward fawning over today's big spender. Philosophically they have been shifting emphasis and effort from loyal customers with history... to inherently disloyal ones with fistfuls of money.
They can fawn over big spenders all they want without kicking everyone else in the nuts.

At CO, big spenders were rewarded ahead of smaller spenders:

Instant upgrades on Y/B and M fares
Waitlist priority for BF
Upgrade list sorted by full fare first, then fare class within each tier

GS/PP is an appropriate program to reward individual big spenders and provide them with extra services - all without kicking everyone else to the curb.

Does this airline want only a small number of Elites and the rest of the seats taken up with kettles who bought their ticket on Orbitz? No more loyal customers?

I, for one, have a 11+ year relationship with this airline from the Gordon days and I am not going to sit quietly and get steamrolled by a bean counter....and I trust most of the folks in this forum are thinking the same way.

Our colleagues in the Delta forum are close to a break through in their fight - and it's not just FTers who fought back. Regular customers who are not FT-aware took to Twitter and Facebook to slam the company aggressively to the point where their social media team spent all of it's time deleting critical comments.

Could you imagine the meltdown that would happen over here, and in the overall customer community if this rumor became fact? Look how this thread grew with only one unsubstantiated comment about what UA *might* be thinking of introducing next year.

Remember US in 2001. They are playing with fire here and better be careful.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:16 am

wow if this happens, then gg to my elite status in 2013. maybe this is their way of trying to upsell the presidential plus card even more to be an almost-elite despite downgrading it
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I am hoping that someone misread revenue and $. This will be much more palatable:

Premier Silver:
(a) 25,000 elite qualifying miles AND 2,000 United BIS AND 4 United segments,
OR
(b) 30 elite qualifying segments AND 2,000 United BIS AND 4 United segments,
OR
(c) $5,000 revenue AND 4 United segments

Premier Gold:
(a) 50,000 elite qualifying miles AND 4,000 United BIS AND 4 United segments,
OR
(b) 60 elite qualifying segments AND 4,000 United BIS AND 4 United segments,
OR
(c) $10,000 revenue AND 4 United segments

Premier Platinum:
(a) 75,000 elite qualifying miles AND 6,000 United BIS AND 4 United segments,
OR
(b) 90 elite qualifying segments AND 6,000 United BIS AND 4 United segments,
OR
(c) $15,000 revenue AND 4 United segments

Premier Diamond:
(a) 100,000 elite qualifying miles AND 8,000 United BIS AND 4 United segments,
OR
(b) 120 elite qualifying segments AND 8,000 United BIS AND 4 United segments,
OR
(c) $20,000 revenue AND 4 United segments
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:20 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Question

I'd like to see how they in an easy way explain to the customer how revenue is calculated. What if I am travelling on LAX-UA-IAD-SK-CPH on a SK fare basis and SK ticket, how do they calculate revenue for the UA LAX-IAD segment? Good luck UA rewarding loyalty, the thing that makes customer pay a higher price for you rather than to go with a cheaper alternative.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:24 am

Perhaps AC will be my next haven, as a mileage runner and the kind of person who just loves flying whenever I get some extra money. 35k for *A Gold. 10k on AC is not hard at all, given their decent fares to Asia and Europe with better equipment and service. Free access to RCC is a plus. The downside is no E+, no upgrades on UA, and only 50% bonus. Well, upgrade opportunity has already been really scarce for low-tier members on UA nowadays. So AC seems to fit me well.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:33 am

I will tell you that it is entirely emancipating to just go with whoever has the best deal. And your out-of-pocket costs go down with no MRs. Yes, you might forgo some mileage bonuses, but that gets offset by the extra cash in your pocket you can use to buy a flight that you actually NEED.

And it is easier to just buy International C/Z on some international flag carrier, usually for less than what UA charges. Unlike the domestic market, there are lots of carriers still flying to international cities

Or, just buy the miles from a carrier when they sell them 2 for 1 and then use them for a partner award in J or F. Easy to do at reduced cost and hassle.

And finally, Instead of UDU, what with the monetization of FC, you can usually find a carrier that will sell a discount FC ticket.

So, for all of these people that are threatening to send letters, tweets, phone calls, etc, I would say just vote with your feet and your wallet and just go away.

If UA management really wants any of you back, I am sure they will find a way to let you know.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Does this airline want only a small number of Elites and the rest of the seats taken up with kettles who bought their ticket on Orbitz? No more loyal customers?
That's a very fair question. I know that at BA in 2003 the answer was a firm yes. They were convinced all non-premium customers were purely price-driven and immune to loyalty strategy. (This left all sorts of questions unanswered, from what happens when a CEO on vacation with his family back in economy is treated badly, to how you cultivate future loyalists who start out in row 48.) In any event the recession, which landed more than a few CEOs in coach, proved the folly of building the airline around F and J trade and giving everyone else the high hat.

I, for one, have a 11+ year relationship with this airline from the Gordon days and I am not going to sit quietly and get steamrolled by a bean counter....and I trust most of the folks in this forum are thinking the same way.
Me too. I've been CO elite since 1998, when you could score an upgrade simply by ringing in at T-72, and I really miss Gordon's airline. But it's dead and gone, isn't it?

Look how this thread grew with only one unsubstantiated comment about what UA *might* be thinking of introducing next year... Remember US in 2001. They are playing with fire here and better be careful.
The playing field is dramatically different today. In 2001 there was a rich menu of network carriers to defect to: US, AA, NW, CO, TW, DL, UA... today, there's about half that number and they are far more impervious to the wishes and complaints of increasingly captive, resigned customers.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:40 am

This would explain why Glen Tilton unloaded some of his UAL stock recently
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.94MM, Marriott Titanium
I'd feel much better if UA Insider chimed in and said this is all bunk.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Minnesota Bruin
I'd feel much better if UA Insider chimed in and said this is all bunk.
It took UA Insider a few days or so to show up to the 2P's can select exit rows thread.

Don't worry, the scientists conducting this experiment are taking copious notes behind the one-way mirror to see how we react to the bait.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK

Don't worry, the scientists conducting this experiment are taking copious notes behind the one-way mirror to see how we react to the bait.
N.B. NOT. POSITIVELY.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by limitless
N.B. NOT. POSITIVELY.
+1. Post started about 8:30 PM PDT and it already has 100+ replies within 3.5 hours and almost all of them negative - wait till the East Coast fliers read this tomorrow!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:59 am

i'm scared, sad, upset.
hope it's all just a bad dream
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:02 am

Programs: UA former 2P
as a 2P/Premier Silver who travels to Tokyo ~once a year along with assorted domestic travel, if I lose access to E+ at booking time, they lose me.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:11 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I may be in the minority, but I actually don't disagree with some of the "bad" news. Not all of it, but...

I actually had suggested (I think) in an earlier thread about them bringing in a revenue option for qualifying (I'm talking about the "OR" option here). In fact, since most of my flights are to Canada, I'd actually be a Premier Gold, as opposed to a 2P now. I really like this option. I'm also not opposed at all to the "AND" revenue requirement as well. I know I'll probably get flamed for that. However, IMO, those who have been making status on MR's have been very lucky to be able to do that for so long. Not really surprising that UA wants to make sure they are only paying for benefits for those who spend a min. amount with the airline.

I also am really not opposed to the United segment requirement as well. It only seems fair that if UA is going to spend on giving you benefits, you are at least flying them a little. 4 segments on UA metal really isn't that much to ask. BTW, AA has this, I believe, and AC has this as well.

The E+ seats are a big ouch though for the silver level, for sure. Definitely something to be po'd about. Though on a positive note, for all those complaining about 2Ps having exit row access, this would certainly seem to solve that issue.

I would have agreed with you if they had improved the perks of status. They have only downgraded it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.