UA or CO SWU Availability

Reply

Old Aug 10, 11, 1:13 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: CLT
Programs: AA Concierge Key, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier
Posts: 1,403
UA or CO SWU Availability

It seems like CO SWUs are not valid for G class but United Region 1 SWUs are. Could anyone validate for me if 1) These flights could be upgraded by a UA or CO SWU and 2), if there is availability for that date and time? It would be helpful.
New Orleans (MSY) to Anchorage (ANC) - Tue, Sep 13
United New Orleans (MSY) to Houston (IAH) - Tue, Sep 13
United 1646 Dep: 11:03AM Arr: 12:12PM 1h 9m Boeing 737 Coach (G)
OPERATED BY CONTINENTAL Layover in IAH 3h 3m

United Houston (IAH) to Anchorage (ANC) - Tue, Sep 13
United 1071 Dep: 3:15PM Arr: 7:16PM 7h 1m Boeing 757 Coach (G)

OPERATED BY CONTINENTAL

Best regards,

Beofotch
beofotch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 11, 1:17 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,035
My understanding is that the minimum fare requirement for the SWUs is only effective on BusinessFirst itineraries. For regular domestic travel (like your proposed itinerary) there should be no minimum fare requirements.
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...wupgrades.aspx
Originally Posted by co.com
System-wide Upgrades issued after Jan. 1, 2011 are eligible for all fares except S, T, K, L, G and N in BusinessFirst markets.
The CR1s should also work, and I'd redeem those if you have them for that itinerary, but either should work on a domestic trip.
sbm12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 11, 2:17 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: CLT
Programs: AA Concierge Key, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier
Posts: 1,403
I hadn't thought that CR1s would be valid too. Would someone with an ExpertFlyer account let me know if CR1 SWU inventory would be available for that specific date and time?

Beofotch
beofotch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 11, 2:53 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,035
Originally Posted by beofotch View Post
I hadn't thought that CR1s would be valid too. Would someone with an ExpertFlyer account let me know if CR1 SWU inventory would be available for that specific date and time?

Beofotch
You do not need EF. Just go to CO.com and search that particular flight. Then click on the "Fare Rules" link in the right column (or get the GreaseMonkey script here which does the clicking for you) and look for the R bucket. If it is anything other than 0 then you can confirm the upgrade with a CR1, SWU or miles.

Right now the flight has tons of R inventory available so it should clear immediately. The noon flight MSY-IAH is R0 so you would have to waitlist that one if you want the shorter layover.
sbm12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 11, 2:56 pm
  #5  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 44,835
Originally Posted by beofotch View Post
I hadn't thought that CR1s would be valid too. Would someone with an ExpertFlyer account let me know if CR1 SWU inventory would be available for that specific date and time?

Beofotch
No need for an EF account -- info is available on co.com (since these are CO operated flights)
Info for upgrade for UA operated flights is available on united.com
WineCountryUA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 6:42 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: CLT
Programs: AA Concierge Key, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier
Posts: 1,403
Thanks for the insights. I realized last night that you could also see this via united.com's "expert mode" or by searching use "Confirmed Regional Upgrade". So i searched the flight but the cheapest fare that was in the OP, $139... doesn't show it is upgradable. Are y'all certain (as long as the upgrade inventory is there), that the "G" class fare would be upgradable with a Continental or United Instrument? A CR1 or SWU?
beofotch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 7:05 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IAD
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Posts: 4,199
Originally Posted by beofotch View Post
Thanks for the insights. I realized last night that you could also see this via united.com's "expert mode" or by searching use "Confirmed Regional Upgrade". So i searched the flight but the cheapest fare that was in the OP, $139... doesn't show it is upgradable. Are y'all certain (as long as the upgrade inventory is there), that the "G" class fare would be upgradable with a Continental or United Instrument? A CR1 or SWU?
Yes. If you don't believe us you can confirm it yourself here
njcommodore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 11, 2:47 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Seattle WA
Programs: AS MVP Gold, *wood LT Gold
Posts: 1,655
Originally Posted by co.com
System-wide Upgrades issued after Jan. 1, 2011 are eligible for all fares except S, T, K, L, G and N in BusinessFirst markets.
Do they above rules apply when trying to use UA SWUs on Region 2 flights operated with CO metal?

I can't get a straight answer on what CO fare codes are or aren't upgrade-able on TATL CO metal flights using UA SWUs

Thanks very much in advance for clarification!
Tracer_SEA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 11, 10:34 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,491
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA View Post
I can't get a straight answer on what CO fare codes are or aren't upgrade-able on TATL CO metal flights using UA SWUs.
That is the same question I have as well.
SFOTurtle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 11, 8:08 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston (IAH,HOU) / Kāʻanapali (JHM,OGG)
Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Posts: 961
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA View Post
Do they above rules apply when trying to use UA SWUs on Region 2 flights operated with CO metal?

I can't get a straight answer on what CO fare codes are or aren't upgrade-able on TATL CO metal flights using UA SWUs

Thanks very much in advance for clarification!
When you are transferring a UA SWU, you are effectively getting a CO SWU w/ the after Jan 1st 2011 rules. I my experience, the following applies:

System-wide Upgrades issued after Jan. 1, 2011 are eligible for all fares except S, T, K, L, G and N in BusinessFirst markets.
ie. Buy the W or higher.
bdraco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 11, 5:24 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Seattle WA
Programs: AS MVP Gold, *wood LT Gold
Posts: 1,655
Makes sense -- I was told differently by a UA phone rep -- but I knew it sounded too good to be true.

Good thing I knew better than to take UA's word for it, and double checked here before I bought a CO S ticket and found myself SWU out of luck.

Thanks FTers!
Tracer_SEA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 11, 1:02 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: WAS
Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Posts: 397
When using a SWU on CO (Transferred from my UA account), what fare code on CO is the same as "NC" and/or "NF" (whichever applies for Y to BF upgrades)?

I know the "R" fare bucket is for domestic flight upgrades, but can't seem to find the answer for BF config flights.

Thanks!
BigBossman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 11, 3:09 pm
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,035
Originally Posted by BigBossman View Post
When using a SWU on CO (Transferred from my UA account), what fare code on CO is the same as "NC" and/or "NF" (whichever applies for Y to BF upgrades)?

I know the "R" fare bucket is for domestic flight upgrades, but can't seem to find the answer for BF config flights.

Thanks!
You're looking for either R or RN. Both are upgrade buckets, with the RN for elites and R not. It is not clear that the R/RN has fully been implemented so I'd look at both.
sbm12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 11, 4:53 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: WAS
Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Posts: 397
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
You're looking for either R or RN. Both are upgrade buckets, with the RN for elites and R not. It is not clear that the R/RN has fully been implemented so I'd look at both.
Thanks!

Two buckets means double the chances!
BigBossman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 11, 5:08 pm
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,035
Originally Posted by BigBossman View Post
Two buckets means double the chances!
Well, R is supposed to be a subset of RN, but whatever works for you.
sbm12 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread