Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Where can I go using my miles during Christmas & New Years

Where can I go using my miles during Christmas & New Years

Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
It is possible to do so every 72 hours, but that is a lot of work.

You can also book now, and keep checking the website. CO allows
changes up to 21 days in advance for free, as long as the city pairs (begin/end) are the same.

Then you can look for economy opening up between now and then, or even waitlist for a better connection. That 11 hour wait in Seoul doesn't look fun.
aacharya! Thanks for pointing out that 11 hour wait. I clicked on the WRONG outbound flight from BKK-ICN. So i updated it now, with only a 2 hour layover in Seoul. Still have to use more miles for the same biz flight from ICN-SFO.

I'll look for economy opening up. If I book using the higher miles and then find something in lower mile range, will they refund/redposit my miles?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kayexalate
aacharya! Thanks for pointing out that 11 hour wait. I clicked on the WRONG outbound flight from BKK-ICN. So i updated it now, with only a 2 hour layover in Seoul. Still have to use more miles for the same biz flight from ICN-SFO.

I'll look for economy opening up. If I book using the higher miles and then find something in lower mile range, will they refund/redposit my miles?
Yes. There are some 'issues' with that approach (some agents may try to rebook the whole itinerary and the outbound might not be available anymore**), but when/if it works they will refund your miles.

**A good CO agent has tricks to work around this. If one balks, hang up and try again.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
How about this (on the return)

I've found some availability on the following:

Both on 1/9 and 1/10

TG 614 BKK 10:10 BJS 15:50 747 0 FS+ CS+ YS+
-> CA 983 BJS 21:30 LAX 17:00 747 0 FS- CS- YS+

Then you'd have to find a flight from LAX to SFO. (if you don't mind these airlines, if UA doesn't starnet block them and if you don't mind connecting in beijing.)

Found some same day on the 9th:

UA 731 LAX 20:30 SFO 21:45 752 0 FS+ CS- YS+
UA 263 LAX 22:30 SFO 23:49 320 0 FS- CS- YS+

Try that.

Billy
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Delta3MM
I've found some availability on the following:

Both on 1/9 and 1/10

TG 614 BKK 10:10 BJS 15:50 747 0 FS+ CS+ YS+
-> CA 983 BJS 21:30 LAX 17:00 747 0 FS- CS- YS+

Then you'd have to find a flight from LAX to SFO. (if you don't mind these airlines, if UA doesn't starnet block them and if you don't mind connecting in beijing.)

Found some same day on the 9th:

UA 731 LAX 20:30 SFO 21:45 752 0 FS+ CS- YS+
UA 263 LAX 22:30 SFO 23:49 320 0 FS- CS- YS+

Try that.

Billy
Billy:

Thanks for your suggestions. I don't have any problem connecting anywhere. In fact, we could even depart from another location (like HKT or PNH, however I checked those and even less inventory since they all connect through BKK anyway).

Unfortunately I only have vacation until 1/8 (have to go back to work for the man on 1/9 ).

What tool are you using to search for these flights?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:39 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Also, since I have insufficient miles on CO (all the miles are sitting in my UA account) I have the reservation held with a credit card for 3 days. After that the reservation will be cancelled and the flights put back in inventory.
Just fyi -- I have experienced CO.com noting that the award reservation would be reserved for 3 days as I was reserving it, but then when I checked the itinerary it always showed as being reserved for only one day (and for the couple of tickets I didn't transfer the miles for, they did ended up being cancelled after only one day.) I would just suggest that you check your itinerary to make sure that it is still showing that it is reserved for a total of 3 days.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Two points to remember:

1. You can do one stopover in addition to your final destination -- given the length of time, you might as well try to hit up two cities.

2. If you use CO miles, you can route over the Pacific OR via the Atlantic (but not both).
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Billy:

Thanks for your suggestions. I don't have any problem connecting anywhere. In fact, we could even depart from another location (like HKT or PNH, however I checked those and even less inventory since they all connect through BKK anyway).

Unfortunately I only have vacation until 1/8 (have to go back to work for the man on 1/9 ).

What tool are you using to search for these flights?
I was using KVS, which uses the ANA website to get the same results.

Billy
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

I'm going to Spain!

Thanks for everyone's input, but I couldn't get the dates I wanted on the lower mileage.

SoI totally did a 180 and changed my itinerary.

Now going to Spain on an AA award flight (using AS miles)

One small hitch, see below:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post16877349
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Isn't Thailand a bit susceptible to rains in the Nov/Dec/Jan months? I think your change to go to Spain is a good idea. Haven't looked yet to see where in Spain you're going, but if Madrid or Barcelona be sure to check out some lobster Paella. I had some amazing paella at a hole in the wall in Madrid when I was there last January.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:02 am

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Slightly different question: I'm trying to fly around these dates as well (leaving and returning slightly earlier) but using paid tickets upgraded with SWU's. Having an extremely difficult time finding NC space to virtually any destination on UA or CO. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.