Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade tricks for mixed UA/CO PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Upgrade tricks for mixed UA/CO PNRs

Caveat: I'm sure somewhere in the unlimited stream of posts this has been answered in one way or another. If you know the thread - please point me there. I searched and probably didn't use good enough terms.

I'm a UA 1K and booking a "vacation". The best itinerary (price, schedule & direct flights) for me is coming up as UA there CO back. It's ORD - SEA. The question is, what do I need to do to get the highest chance at getting the upgrade for myself and my significant other (flying on the same PNR - no trick question on the 2 passenger - 1 PNR part.) I'm guessing I should book it on UA under my UA MP# and then add the CO number to the return leg? I've done the cross registration of numbers and I'm CO Platinum, etc.

It's the finer nuances that I'm missing or would like a quick step by step on. Thanks guys! I know it's probably a dumb question, but these are the stupid nuances that you need to know the specific "tricks" on. As a 1k, in a group that is supposed to represent some value to UA, you'd think they would make this stuff simpler for us. But that's a whole nother thread...or maybe a few 100 threads...
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:32 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Book it under your UA number for both passengers on 1 PNR. After the upgrade clears, split the PNR and replace the UA number with your OP number.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Avoid booking a mixed itin! I had 3 over the summer, missed each upgrade on CO because the two systems are not compatible; udu and using miles. There are a few threads on the subject.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
Originally Posted by felinaar
Book it under your UA number for both passengers on 1 PNR. After the upgrade clears, split the PNR and replace the UA number with your OP number.
Can you split originating and returning flights? I didn't think you could.

If you have more than 5 days/120 hours between flights then you should:

- Book with your 1K number.

- Upon arrival at SEA, call and ask them to put your CO numbers into the reservations and split the reservation for you and your partner. (EUA for 2-pax PNRs is processed with the priority of the lowest person on the PNR.)

- Upon arrival at the airport on the day of travel (min 2hrs before) ask them to add your partner to the Plat companion upgrade list.

CO's system is deliberately biased towards elites over companions, so there's a chance you won't both make it. If you would rather both sit in coach than have only one person upgraded then you should probably leave the PNRs linked and talk to an agent on arrival at the airport to see if there is space left for both-or-nothing.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Avoid booking a mixed itin! I had 3 over the summer, missed each upgrade on CO because the two systems are not compatible; udu and using miles. There are a few threads on the subject.
I'm a counter example. On my last two mixed itineraries I was upgraded on the CO leg both times. It all really depends on the specifics of each flight.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I'm a counter example. On my last two mixed itineraries I was upgraded on the CO leg both times. It all really depends on the specifics of each flight.
My experience as well.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:54 am

I didn't even make the list. Was not allowed to OLCI, therefore, not listed. It seems when on mixed itin, when UA segments were upgraded, it causes the ticket to unsync with the CO system. Maybe this has been fixed.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
I didn't even make the list. Was not allowed to OLCI, therefore, not listed. It seems when on mixed itin, when UA segments were upgraded, it causes the ticket to unsync with the CO system. Maybe this has been fixed.
Not fixed and known by agents. I called yesterday and agent told me proactively OLCI wouldn't work because my UA UDU cleared so the ticket was no longer in sync.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:40 am

I wonder why it seems to work for some people on mixed itins? For you guys reporting success here on mixed itin, did your UA upgrades clear before you OLCI?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:02 am

So when the tickets "un-sync", what happens? I'm flying on a mixed itinerary soon with legs being CO>UA>UA>CO and I was intending on putting my MP# on there since I have a companion and that UA legs are longer. I was going to switch to my CO number after the second UA (which starts the flight home), but I don't want to if it is going to mess up my reservation.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Note also that codeshares will not be UDU'able on UA (except at the gate). CO.com will show all the UA flights as codeshares, and if you book on CO.com it will book them as codeshares. If you call they can book correctly (non-codeshare).

If booking through CO what I have found to be optimal (for me) is:

1) Find routing on CO.com
2) Book with CO over the phone
3) Call UA to add 1K# (not replace OP, there should be 2 numbers). Ask them to verify that it is not booked as a codeshare (if it is, skip to #5).
4) Look for "Upgrade Pending" (not upgrade requested in footer) on .bomb & CO.com should have OP#
5) If #4 is not correct cancel within 24 hours and try again.
6) When flying both UDU & EUA should process (EUA 5 days, UDU 100 hrs) without

Good luck
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:14 pm

That was very helpful Red Robin. It is too late for me to do the cancel/replace thing, but it is definitely at least worth a shot. Maybe they'll get it right the first time. Mixed metal sucks.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I have a lot of CO Flight #'s booked as UA codeshares this month. So far, I've experienced "Upgrade: Pending" turn into nothing on .bomb, and was assured by 1K agents that I am waitlisted. Will have to trust on it until I do OLCI tomorrow and find out for sure.

They really need to get integration going in this regard.

Because I am on a CO status match challenge, UA does not seem to be proactively matching my status despite account linkage. So apparently on codeshares, the Upgrade: Pending turns to nothing (Not showing Waitlisted or "We have requested upgrade on your behalf anymore"), according to agents since its a CO flight # operated by UA.

So confusing--has anyone else experienced issues with this?

Another thing that's been bothering me with integration is after doing a 24-hour Confirmed Flight Change on CO.com with a CO codeshare operated by UA, I end up having to call UA to get the previous flight removed from the PNR, because their systems just doublebook it. Had this happen twice this summer.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by demkr
So apparently on codeshares, the Upgrade: Pending turns to nothing (Not showing Waitlisted or "We have requested upgrade on your behalf anymore"), according to agents since its a CO flight # operated by UA.

So confusing--has anyone else experienced issues with this?
Yes, my UA4740 United Express (operated by Shuttle America Airlines) doesn't even show upgrade pending because strangly enough it is a CO flight (weird). They say when I'm at the airport I'll be in the list for UDU, but after reading all this I sincerely doubt it.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I guess the phrasing that bothers me is "When you're at the airport"--shouldn't I be waitlisted beforehand? It's already ridiculous that if Im a CO PLAT flyer at 100K that I'm getting upgraded after 1Ps with 50K regardless of my fare, when CO upgrades 1K's at T-125.

Is your flight tomorrow? Can I check to see if you're on upg list on the iphone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.