Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade tricks for mixed UA/CO PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I read this thread and it just confused me.

Here is my situation:

My wife (no status) and I (UA 1K and CO Plat) are flying ABC-DEF on UA metal, then 3 days later DEF-ABC on CO metal. Ticket was purchased on CO.com.

We were both upgraded on ABC-DEF leg (UDU) at 1K window.

I would like to split the itinerary for the return, since it on CO metal, but I am worried that we will lose our UA outbound upgrades.

Should I split it now (>5 days out from return), or wait until we have arrived in DEF (3 days out from return)?

return leg is F9 (availability) so pretty good there.

thanks
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I read this thread and it just confused me.

Here is my situation:

My wife (no status) and I (UA 1K and CO Plat) are flying ABC-DEF on UA metal, then 3 days later DEF-ABC on CO metal. Ticket was purchased on CO.com.

We were both upgraded on ABC-DEF leg (UDU) at 1K window.

I would like to split the itinerary for the return, since it on CO metal, but I am worried that we will lose our UA outbound upgrades.

Should I split it now (>5 days out from return), or wait until we have arrived in DEF (3 days out from return)?

return leg is F9 (availability) so pretty good there.

thanks
Seems like you could do that, agent should be able to tell you in advance whether it would work.

If you split the return, aren't you giving up all hope of your wife being upgraded? (or should I say one of you )?

Originally Posted by SFOTerry
Several months ago I purchased a 4-leg RT all on CO metal (no codeshares) on united.com (departure on Saturday, return on Sunday). When purchased, I entered my UAMP account #, however the itinerary has never shown on “My Reservations” unless I enter the UA confirm #.

Later I accessed the itinerary on the CO website and changed the FF# to my OP account (which is linked to my MP account). After that it showed on my online CO reservations list.

About 2 months ago, the 2nd outbound leg changed from a CO Express EMB145 (no F) to a United Express CRJ700.

I would appreciate advice regarding any actions I should take to increase my EUA and UDU chances.

For example, if I get a UDU upgrade on the UX flight first (perhaps at the 100-hour mark), would that likely “unsync” my reservation and jeopardize my chances at the CO EUAs? If so, what can I do about this?

Thanks!
Well, we ended up getting all legs upgraded. CO flights mostly around 50-80 hours out, and the UX at the gate (I don't believe anyone was upgraded before that). ^

Here's my next set of questions for all you experts out there:

Comtemplating the following trip: UX CR7 outbound, followed 2 days later by a 2-leg CO return. Could buy on either CO or UA websites. MP is my "primary account".

1) If I use my CO OP # for the ticket, will I get 500 EQM on the return leg that's <500 miles?

2) Upgrade-wise, I think I'm best off using my CO MP #, do you agree?

3) Any thoughts on which website I should purchase on? I'm thinking CO.

Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
Is this a change?

Is this recently posted information on the UA web site a change from previous policy described earlier in this thread re UDU only clearing at the airport for CO codeshare on UA metal? Or am I reading too much into it?
For eligible flights, we’ll automatically request an upgrade for you and one companion traveling on the same reservation (see eligibility).

Upgrade requests will be made for United or United Express flights in the continental U.S., Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, Caribbean, Central America and Mexico. (Not available on transcontinental p.s.® flights).

This upgrade is good only on flights operated and marketed by United or United Express (not available on codeshare flights marketed by other airlines, except codeshare Continental marketed flights operated by United)
Old Aug 30, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Regional Upgrade Use on UA Metal with UA & CO Iten

Can one use a 'regional upgrade' for a segment on UA metal, for a reservation with dual confirmation numbers?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Yes, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ug-2011-a.html
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I'm still confused. I searched threads, and this seems to be the best one, but if I should be somewhere else, please let me know.

The situation: I'm 1K and status matched to Plat. Booked a domestic trip for next week on CO.com. First flight on CO metal, second on UA. My OP number is currently in the reservation. Is there any way to get my MP number in for the UA flight (to maximize my upgrade chances on that flight) without changing away from using my OP number for the CO flight?

As an aside, when booking trips like this on UA.com, I have been able to get around the problem by later going to CO.com and changing to my OP number. This doesn't seem to affect what UA sees for the UA metal flights.

I'm hoping that my CO upgrade clears at the first opportunity (120 hours). If it does, I was thinking of then calling UA and switching to my MP number before the 100 hour window. If I did that, would CO try to take away my upgrade on CO metal flight?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Sorry to bump this up. This thread deals mostly with UDU, but what's the situation with SWUs? For example if I book SEA/IAD/CDG, IAD/CDG is now CO operated, so I'd fly UA to IAD and then CO to CDG. Upgrades are technically available on both segments, however Continental.com doesn't see the upgrade space on SEA/IAD.

Does anyone have any experience using SWUs with mixed itins?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.