Wiki Posts
Search

Argghhh! The joys of flying in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by weero
On top of everything: seating in Euro carriers is beyond stingy. Have you seen LH's new intra-Europe cabins which have about 4" less pitch than E- on UA? How is that not worse.
Shortest pitch on LH: 30" on the AT7, 31" on other small aircraft.
Shortest pitch in E- on "proper" UA (not UX): 31"

How's that "about 4" less pitch"?

If you extend the comparison to include UX flights, there are plenty of aircraft with 31" pitch and 30" on the SF340.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Vunder31
Shortest pitch on LH: 30" on the AT7, 31" on other small aircraft.
Shortest pitch in E- on "proper" UA (not UX): 31"

How's that "about 4" less pitch"?

If you extend the comparison to include UX flights, there are plenty of aircraft with 31" pitch and 30" on the SF340.
... and for the new intra-Europe configuration LH then increased the number of seats on the A320 from 150 to 168 by further lowering the pitch.

How this can be 'offered' without going significantly below 30" is a bit beyond me.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Um "Every flight in this country" is not oversold. If so, I would have to start filing taxes for the vouchers that I received!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
Um "Every flight in this country" is not oversold. If so, I would have to start filing taxes for the vouchers that I received!
Okay...so maybe a slight exaggeration. When the agent tried to find alternate flights on this trip, 4 of my 5 UA suggested options were "oversold" (the agents words not mine).

Anyhow...finally got home a day late but at least I got home. LAX>MEL was actually a pretty pleasant experience. Staff were nice, service was good, food/wine was reasonable, and I slept like a baby for 9 hours.

Actually, all of the UA staff were pleasant and apologetic throughout the whole experience. They all just seemed to be operating with their hands tied behind their backs with respect to UA policies, support and systems. I feel sorry for them.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by RBH58
..Actually, all of the UA staff were pleasant and apologetic throughout the whole experience. They all just seemed to be operating with their hands tied behind their backs with respect to UA policies, support and systems. I feel sorry for them.
Yes. That is - in all likelihood - a consequence of this stinkin' UDU concept. That all C and F cabin are full of real-elites and mini-elites who did not even opt to be to upgraded.

For someone who travels in paid premium and experiences an IRROP this means in all likelihood coach and E-. Happens to everyone, even UA's own elites.

Hence I hate UDU even more than I hated it at the very beginning.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Yes. That is - in all likelihood - a consequence of this stinkin' UDU concept. That all C and F cabin are full of real-elites and mini-elites who did not even opt to be to upgraded.

For someone who travels in paid premium and experiences an IRROP this means in all likelihood coach and E-. Happens to everyone, even UA's own elites.

Hence I hate UDU even more than I hated it at the very beginning.

What does UDU have to do with this?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
What does UDU have to do with this?
That:
..the agent tried to find alternate flights on this trip, 4 of my 5 UA suggested options were "oversold"..
IMO a very clear indication of the sins of UDU.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:10 am

That:

Not really, "oversold" would mean it is oversold in Y as well, they can put him in Y if it's UDU. He can blame the overselling when they say "oversold and I can't put you in Y either", and he can blame UDU when they say "full in F, do you want Y?".
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:23 am
Suspended

... and for the new intra-Europe configuration LH then increased the number of seats on the A320 from 150 to 168 by further lowering the pitch.

How this can be 'offered' without going significantly below 30" is a bit beyond me.
LH A320 162 seat configuration (27 rows, 6 seats per row): 31.3"
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Luf...s_A320-200.php

If you add one row to make it 168 seats, the average leg room would be about 30.2".

How is that significantly below 30" or 4" less than UA E-?

Last edited by Vunder31; Jul 30, 2011 at 12:33 pm
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Vunder31
LH A320 162 seat configuration (27 rows, 6 seats per row): 31.3"
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Luf...s_A320-200.php

How is that significantly below 30" or 4" less than UA E-?
The seat map you're referencing is 26 rows x 6 seats = 156 seats. I think you're mistakenly adding the max coach capacity to the max first capacity. Or maybe you missed that there are no rows 13 or 17 in that config. Imagine adding one more row to THAT config.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
The seat map you're referencing is 26 rows x 6 seats = 156 seats. I think you're mistakenly adding the max coach capacity to the max first capacity. Or maybe you missed that there are no rows 13 or 17 in that config. Imagine adding one more row to THAT config.
I counted rows 1-28 and deducted row 13 and came up with 27 rows. I missed that there is no row 17. My mistake.
So we have 26 rows with 31.3" pitch. Squeeze in two more rows, and the average seat pitch is about 29.1".
Is that "considerably" below 30"? Yeah, one could argue that.
Is 29" 4 inches less than UA E- ? No, still can't see that.

It should also be noted that the tight seat pitch on LH A320 is only experienced on short intra-European flights, while UA will subject passengers to 31" seat pitch on 5+ hour transcontinental flights.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:25 pm
In memoriam

I will see everyone's $100 bet and raise you $50 in terms of who's bad. I submit that all travel today everywhere is subject to screw-ups or worse (think the bullet train accident in China) - and indignities. The worst we have had in recent years was security at CDG not knowing how to handle my husband's leg brace (he has MS). It had no private security screening room. And after much arguing back and forth in French about how to deal with the brace (he speaks ok French) - he simply dropped his pants. And the security people threatened to have him arrested. This in the priority first/BF security line. At 7:00 am! Everything eventually worked out ok - but I had a headache all the way home.

FWIW - I can understand the frustration of the OP - especially after spending $11k for a ticket! That's a huge amount of money for an airline ticket IMO. Which is one reason I spend so much attention collecting miles for long haul trips.

And perhaps I read this thread too quickly. But why didn't the airline pay for the OP's hotel? Because it was a weather related problem? Robyn
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Not really, "oversold" would mean it is oversold in Y as well, they can put him in Y if it's UDU. He can blame the overselling when they say "oversold and I can't put you in Y either", and he can blame UDU when they say "full in F, do you want Y?".
I was looking for ANY options (including Y) to get to LAX.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:51 pm

That:

There ya go, UDU was not involved.
I was looking for ANY options (including Y) to get to LAX.

Hence it was the overbooking that cause the OP to hate UA even more.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robyng
And perhaps I read this thread too quickly. But why didn't the airline pay for the OP's hotel? Because it was a weather related problem? Robyn
I guess they figured that because I declined an offer of flying Y home from LAX to MEL (like I'm going to accept that after spending $11k?!) that they'd done enough and the fact that I decided to wait 24 hours for my seat was my decision.

I do intend to write UA an incendiary "letter" however, and see what it gets me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.