Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hey UA 1Ks...amid all this CO bashing, aren't we forgetting that UDUs were CO's idea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hey UA 1Ks...amid all this CO bashing, aren't we forgetting that UDUs were CO's idea?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I'm cool with UDU. My domestic trips encompass all days of the week and all times of the day. I have missed very few upgrades. I know my 1P colleagues are flying first class way more than prior to UDU. I don't doubt that for some it has changed the game, just not mine. CR1 earning in 2012.... another story for another thread.

I should add, I greatly miss the ability to upgrade others with e500s, especially on different PNR's.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Jul 25, 2011 at 7:56 pm
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by bseller
Not to my mind. UDU is an unmitigated disaster. It makes it almost impossible for lower level elites to get upgraded in advance using instruments..
Lower elites = anyone who is not GS.

I am glad to see so many familiar posters who are less than impressed with UDU!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I've never forgotten that we have only CO to blame for the disaster known as UDU.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott/IHG Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs down

I HATE UDU.

Not only because 1P has no chance from SFO, but why requires TWO 1P to check-in (and added to the long long list) separately. Can't UA make a smarter system to do it automatically?
p.s. I did get UDU once on DEN-DTW and had to go through the hassle to give it up and to claim my seat back before it was too late.

It is annoying and I discourage my bf to requalify for 1P.

I fly most internationally but I used to save my little e500 for domestic long haul. With UDU, I will pass and open to any one w/ good price/seat (and do not require us to checkin twice!)
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by YoYoGodMom
Not only because 1P has no chance from SFO, but why requires TWO 1P to check-in (and added to the long long list) separately. Can't UA make a smarter system to do it automatically?

You think that's bad? CO makes you split the record to get on the airport upgrade list.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I hate UDU

10-year 1k here that doesn't like UDU. Didn't realize there were so many of us!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
10-year 1k here that doesn't like UDU. Didn't realize there were so many of us!
I know ... this is by far the best aspect of this thread ^ !

And I always though the UDU apologists outnumbered us.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 1:44 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Sorry, haven't read the whole thread, but UDUs stink in my opinion.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
One thing puzzles me. High status posters against UDU have suggested that the certificate approach is good for the lower status folks and for upgrading companions with no status. Doesn't anything that favors low status and no status flyers, disfavor high status flyers? Or, is it only the 1K kettles (I love the term) disfavored?

As a mostly domestic flyer (90%domestic10%international) flying from the middle of the country (no coast to coast for me), I think the difference to me may be academic since I am near 100% upgrade this year (not so a year ago). I do like SWU though.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blue47
One thing puzzles me. High status posters against UDU have suggested that the certificate approach is good for the lower status folks and for upgrading companions with no status. Doesn't anything that favors low status and no status flyers, disfavor high status flyers? Or, is it only the 1K kettles (I love the term) disfavored?

Perhaps, in theory, it does. But in practice, the certificate approach allowed flyers to target their upgrades.

So that high-status flyer who is currently sweating out competitive transcons on UDU might have easily cleared before. In exchange, he may not have bothered upgrading short, insignificant flights, in essence ceding them to the lower status flyers.

Now the high-status flyer is competing with more people for the competitive flights, while also getting upgraded on flights he never would have bothered with (those come at the expense of the lower status flyer who is now sweating out everything).
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:01 am

high-status flyer who is currently sweating out competitive transcons on UDU might have easily cleared
If the high-status flyer doesn't clear on UDU, then who does? a higher-status flyer who doesn't care if he/she clears on a transcon?

I am, of course, assuming that no F seats fly empty.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the high-status flyer doesn't clear on UDU, then who does? a higher-status flyer who doesn't care if he/she clears on a transcon?

I am, of course, assuming that no F seats fly empty.

Exactly. Someone who wouldn't have put in for the upgrade, or did not have enough certificates.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:17 am

who wouldn't have put in for the upgrade
(on a transcon)

the definition of a 1K kettle

did not have enough certificates
thereby ceding the benefit to a lower status flyer

btw, i would prefer the choice system over the udu even it it meant I would be theoretically losing some upgrades, which is I think your point. I am not sure all of the posters get it.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by channa
So that high-status flyer who is currently sweating out competitive transcons on UDU might have easily cleared before.
If it really is that competitive would one not assume that there were enough folks listing with certs that it still would have been a challenge to clear?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(on a transcon)

the definition of a 1K kettle

Or some busy executive who doesn't keep up with this stuff, who has a secretary who doesn't know how to manage the upgrades.

There was a management component to the cert-based system. With UDU, you really don't have to do much.

btw, i would prefer the choice system over the udu even it it meant I would be theoretically losing some upgrades, which is I think your point. I am not sure all of the posters get it.
I think people realize that both systems have merit. There is a misguided notion (and hence this thread in the first place) from the CO contingent that UDU must be better for all, hence the 7 pages so far of debate on the topic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.