Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Originally Posted by mnmag
My understanding is that this feature ends on 3/15!
The CSR I spoke with today didn't say when the original features would stop, but he did say the new card would be offered starting 3/22/12. He also said that letters would be going out to all card holders explaining the changes. After I see this I will determine what to do. I still have the old UA Platinum that gives me 3 miles/$ on tickets and as a 1K I can get UA Club for the same price as the annual fee so without the 25% bonus I can't really see the benefit of renewing the PPP unless, of course, they make me an offer I can't refuse
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mbreuer
No. if you apply 75k for platinum and then fly 1k, you'll still be at 75k. I assume that the flexeqm go back in the pool for future use. You'll be at 75k until you actually fly more than 75k, then you'll see the total increase.
I would NT assume that applied FEQM (or whatever they are called now) will go back into the pool. I would assume that once applied they are gone.
Originally Posted by nerdkiller
Now I'll have to buy higher fare tickets to be in good position for EQM upgrades to China.
I think that's UA's idea...
Originally Posted by joediver
The CSR I spoke with today didn't say when the original features would stop, but he did say the new card would be offered starting 3/22/12. He also said that letters would be going out to all card holders explaining the changes. After I see this I will determine what to do. I still have the old UA Platinum that gives me 3 miles/$ on tickets and as a 1K I can get UA Club for the same price as the annual fee so without the 25% bonus I can't really see the benefit of renewing the PPP unless, of course, they make me an offer I can't refuse
The current card does have a few features that make it useful other than just club membership. It is a mileage-earning card, and such cards generally costs $85-$100.year. The primary CDW for car rentals is what makes it worthwhile for me.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: CO (now UA) 1K / Hyatt Platinum / UMPPPC / SLH Honoured
Supposedly one of the benefits of the PresPlus card is that you are eligible for upgrades even on reward tickets.

I just got back from a trip booked with miles (reward tickets) and both my s.o. and I have independent PresPlus cards, but neither of us showed up on the upgrade lists for any of our flights. I tried asking at the United Club about this but they said "Oh, that's a Continental thing--we don't know anything about that".

That's despite this: http://pss.united.com/web/en-US/cont...3A1A6EF054E051 (search for 'Presidential Plus' on that page).

Not that we would have gotten upgraded, but it would have been nice to at least play the game of looking at the board and hoping to see your name move up the list... :-)
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: Former Co Plat, current Premier Platinum, former US CP
How 'bout they make it a $750.00 fee card, and bring back the "lost" features--primarily the 25% bonus RDM and unlimited FEQM? They could also make it a "black" credit card with gold lettering.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by scosprey
How 'bout they make it a $750.00 fee card, and bring back the "lost" features--primarily the 25% bonus RDM and unlimited FEQM? They could also make it a "black" credit card with gold lettering.
I'm in
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I would NT assume that applied FEQM (or whatever they are called now) will go back into the pool. I would assume that once applied they are gone.
I think that's UA's idea...
The current card does have a few features that make it useful other than just club membership. It is a mileage-earning card, and such cards generally costs $85-$100.year. The primary CDW for car rentals is what makes it worthwhile for me.
Likewise the Primary CDW makes the card worth it.

Granted my vantage point might be slightly skewed as I only pay $100 a year for the card because I am a Lifetime Member to the PClub er UA Club.

Dan
Old Mar 9, 2012, 4:21 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by dan1431
Granted my vantage point might be slightly skewed as I only pay $100 a year for the card because I am a Lifetime Member to the PClub er UA Club.
...and if a 1K, that goes down to $40, via the fee rebate.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward
...and if a 1K, that goes down to $40, via the fee rebate.
How do I get the rebate?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:16 pm
Formerly known as mmihalik

Originally Posted by electroflyer
Supposedly one of the benefits of the PresPlus card is that you are eligible for upgrades even on reward tickets.
Son has been upgraded 3 times in last 18 months on award tickets I arranged from my account; all transcons. Granted they were 50K, not 25K tickets.

My wife and I have had numerous upgrades on paid tickets since I got the card in Fall 2010.

We've done a lot of travel in the last two years, and the club access has been very welcome. Earned Platinum status for this year, so Int'l access comes from *G status; had used the card for access prior to earning elite status.

We've certainly got our money's worth since acquiring the card.

Now, as to getting early boarding access for those with the Explorer card...in SFO yesterday talked to a nice older couple who asked if I was in the right line and we compared boarding passes -- I was in group 2 and they were in group 8 for early boarding in the Elite line. Yes, they had the Explorer card.

Also, for joint card holders, only the primary card holder gets the benefit when traveling alone. The other card holder has no benefit when traveling alone. Spouse of my friend is quite perturbed about that!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 6:14 am
RNE

Originally Posted by electroflyer
To clarify, the reward-ticket-upgrade benefit applies only to elite/premier passengers, not general members. I cannot say if this distinction is pertinent in your case, because you fail to identify your status in either your post or your bio.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:04 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by cova
How do I get the rebate?
I've sent Chase a message via their website while being logged into my accounts and they typically respond and credit the fee back in about 3-5 business days.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Platinum, US Air Gold, Starwood Platinum
Chase Sapphire a better deal for me? Could use advice!

Yet another Presidential Plus cardholder here thinking of jumping ship because of the loss of 25% RDM's and--mostly--the fact that FEQMS won't help me fill the gap between the 90,000 or so miles I fly annually and 1K status. So like others on this board, I have no idea what FEQMs are good for anymore!

Thinking of canceling and getting the Chase Sapphire card instead--2 points for ALL travel expenses (not just airline tix) including meals, hotels, and ground transportation--and I can transfer at a one-on-one ratio into my Mileage Plus account. First-year fee of $95.00 is waived, which makes it easier for me to just buy Club membership. And no foreign fees. And a nice 50,000 point bonus at the moment.

Would appreciate if the wise elders on this board (some of whom are very young, but elder in knowledge!) would correct me if I haven't calculated this correctly.

Here's my travel profile:

1. I never rent a car; I use car or limo transport (for which Sapphire would presumably give me 2 points per dollar spent).

2. I fly CO domestically; CO or a Star Alliance Carrier (usually LH) overseas.

3. I usually stay in Starwood Hotels (to keep my Platinum Status). And yes, I use the Starwood AMEX for this.

4. I don't mind buying Club membership--actually easier for me to tax-deduct as a travel expense than the Platinum Plus card.

5. I usually buy a business-class ticket--or at least purchase a fare class (like full Y or B or whatever the heck they keep renaming these darn things) that lets me upgrade at time of booking. For I like controlling my destiny and not leaving things up to "gate fate".

So: is there anything I'm missing? If not, then I'm gonna cancel PP and purchase Chase Sapphire (running a nice 50,000 points for sign-up offer right now).

BTW, I'm with scosprey--I would definitely pay more for the card if 25% RDM bonus and FEQMs that could be applied to 1K status were restored.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by woolfcross
Yet another Presidential Plus cardholder here thinking of jumping ship because of the loss of 25% RDM's and--mostly--the fact that FEQMS won't help me fill the gap between the 90,000 or so miles I fly annually and 1K status. So like others on this board, I have no idea what FEQMs are good for anymore!

Thinking of canceling and getting the Chase Sapphire card instead--2 points for ALL travel expenses (not just airline tix) including meals, hotels, and ground transportation--and I can transfer at a one-on-one ratio into my Mileage Plus account. First-year fee of $95.00 is waived, which makes it easier for me to just buy Club membership. And no foreign fees. And a nice 50,000 point bonus at the moment.
The 7% yearly bonus on the Chase Sapphire Preferred probably makes it a beter value for you then the PPlus card.

No reason you can't just keep the card for the Club membership and charge almost nothing to it. I'm keeping the card, however I stopped charging anything on after my Feb statement closed. I still have use for the Avis benefit. I rent enough cars that its actually worth paying the $100/yr for (lifetime presidents club member fee for the card...hopefully for a while longer).
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Platinum, US Air Gold, Starwood Platinum
[QUOTE=bdraco;18173292]The 7% yearly bonus on the Chase Sapphire Preferred probably makes it a beter value for you then the PPlus card.

No reason you can't just keep the card for the Club membership and charge almost nothing to it.

Two good points, bdraco. Thanks so much for weighing in! And then next year I cancel before the re-up date and just stick with the Sapphire Card, I assume.

New thought: any problems getting the 50,000 point bonus from Chase for Sapphire card as I already HAVE the PPPlus Chase card?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:09 am

[QUOTE=woolfcross;18173417]
Originally Posted by bdraco
The 7% yearly bonus on the Chase Sapphire Preferred probably makes it a beter value for you then the PPlus card.

No reason you can't just keep the card for the Club membership and charge almost nothing to it.
Originally Posted by bdraco

Two good points, bdraco. Thanks so much for weighing in! And then next year I cancel before the re-up date and just stick with the Sapphire Card, I assume.

New thought: any problems getting the 50,000 point bonus from Chase for Sapphire card as I already HAVE the PPPlus Chase card?

I don't think so. I didn't have any problem getting them the week after they announced the changes to the PPlus card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.