Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by TomA
The lower levels are not as profitable because of the overhead to return ratio. They are getting the same benefits, but contributing MUCH less revenue per person. A bank would rather have one 500,000 spender than ten 50,000 spenders. And on this card, a couple thousand dollar spender probably loses money. As many have pointed out, the annual fee just covers the United Club membership.

Not true. See my other post above.
Firstly, you're making the assumption that we know the spend of the various elite levels which we don't.

Secondly, I agree that banks like big spenders, but I doubt much of that spend is lining UA's pockets. If UA's cut was so big (and under your assumption the top flyers are contributing the most to this cut) why on earth would they devalue the card so much as to turn away the top flyers? Are we attributing this to SMI/J just being an idiot? Doubt it. This is calculated. The "top tier" aren't making this card as valuable to UA as you may think.

Edit: Look we can debate ad nauseum why UA/Chase is doing this. I don't really care why they're doing it. What's done is done. My point was that then and now it is still a good card for any mainly domestic flyer at any level if they value UC access. That's all I'm saying.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I cancelled at this point (afraid the system might apply them to 2012) but was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with trying to get the Web site to apply EQM's in excess of 75k for 2011.
I tried and had the same shck as you when I saw 2011/2012. If you choose to apply to the 2012 program you'll see it say 2012/2013, so you did choose the right year. Unfortunately, the system will not allow you to apply FEQM (even to 2011) if your balance for that year exceeds 75k. Instead, you'll see this error message:
! We could not process your request. Please see the message below and make revisions.

! The MileagePlus number you entered has already qualified for Premier Platinum status. Your Flex Premier Qualification Miles do not expire and may be used to attain Premier status in the future.
You will, therefore, need to call in. You will also likely have to argue with the MileagePlus Service Center (I guess that's what it's called now) agent about exceeding 75k for 2011 and ask for a supervisr. Finally, you'll have the thrill of having the supervisor also reject your request.

A couple of us have already been down this road (can you tell?!) ... I suggest waiting a week or so and trying. By that point the proper rules may just have been communicated from on high. Remember, though, that the end of this month marks the end of the ability to apply FEQM to your 2011 (and therefore your lifetime) balance. If after waiting and trying you still are not able to get things properly posted, I suggest you pm UA Insider.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by HSmartt
Received a large package in the mail today. Thought at first it was my new UA card which hasn't yet arrived. Then saw PP credentials and thought oh good it is my United Club card which hasnt yet arrived. Nope, wrapped in what looked like Kevlar packaging was luxury resort catalog which I already received for 2012 a couple of months ago. What a waste!!!
I received a second one of those a couple weeks ago too, in the USPS mail. The letter carrier actually wound up making a special trip back with it after she didn't notice it in the truck when she made the first stop....I felt bad for her actually for having to bother. I already got one of the hotel books by UPS some weeks before.......
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Have any of you actually looked at the book? I tried to use it recently. I wanted to look up a city I was going to be traveling to to see whether any hotels in the program were in town. I found that to be impossible. The index was only by htel name. I'd never been to that city before. I had no idea what hotels were in town, and I wasn't going to flip through the entire European section to find out. Is it just me, or is the idea of indexing a luxury hotel catalogue by city, or even by country a novel concept? it seems to be an unheard of concept when it comes to Chase.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
WOW. I just saw this thread now. I renewed my membership a month or 2 ago and was never informed of these changes. I have just about had it with this new UAL. Why the heck are you downgrading everything we have paid for or earned.

I am likely going to cancel this card now. Simply not worth the cost without the 25% miles. And this is really the last straw. I am so frustrated with Contiental/UA the last 6 months but I had been waiting it out. I have started flying Delta domestically and more pleased with their offerings. I get upgraded on 95% of flights compared to about 50% on UA (and I am 1k).

I am now going to consider Delta for my trans atlantic flight as well. SMISEK, we are not just going to fly United cause we did in the past.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I tried and had the same shck as you when I saw 2011/2012. If you choose to apply to the 2012 program you'll see it say 2012/2013, so you did choose the right year. Unfortunately, the system will not allow you to apply FEQM (even to 2011) if your balance for that year exceeds 75k. Instead, you'll see this error message:You will, therefore, need to call in. You will also likely have to argue with the MileagePlus Service Center (I guess that's what it's called now) agent about exceeding 75k for 2011 and ask for a supervisr. Finally, you'll have the thrill of having the supervisor also reject your request.

A couple of us have already been down this road (can you tell?!) ... I suggest waiting a week or so and trying. By that point the proper rules may just have been communicated from on high. Remember, though, that the end of this month marks the end of the ability to apply FEQM to your 2011 (and therefore your lifetime) balance. If after waiting and trying you still are not able to get things properly posted, I suggest you pm UA Insider.
Thanks for the advice - I tried calling the Service Center, and got a recording that the estimated hold time was 30 minutes.

I decided to go ahead and PM UA Insider to ask Shannon to take care of this. She replied right away ^ to say that she could do it, but I should expect it to be after 3/15 before I see the miles show up in my lifetime balance. That's fair, considering how many of these requests she has to process. But that also tells me that anyone considering doing this shouldn't wait until the last minute (just over 3 weeks from now). Just something to consider.

PLUGH
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by ElieW
WOW. I just saw this thread now. I renewed my membership a month or 2 ago and was never informed of these changes. I have just about had it with this new UAL. Why the heck are you downgrading everything we have paid for or earned.

I am likely going to cancel this card now. Simply not worth the cost without the 25% miles. And this is really the last straw. I am so frustrated with Contiental/UA the last 6 months but I had been waiting it out. I have started flying Delta domestically and more pleased with their offerings. I get upgraded on 95% of flights compared to about 50% on UA (and I am 1k).

I am now going to consider Delta for my trans atlantic flight as well. SMISEK, we are not just going to fly United cause we did in the past.
Make sure you ask for a pro rated refund of annual fee. I was told specifically by UA Insider that I would get it.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:43 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'm wondering whether the Copa flights I took over the weekend and that have nt posted yet will post with the bonus.
I think you will get the bonus. I actually received the 25% bonus on two UA-coded flights I flew on 3/3 SHARES Day!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Make sure you ask for a pro rated refund of annual fee. I was told specifically by UA Insider that I would get it.
You get the full fee back if you cancel within 60 days of the fee posting.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
I think you will get the bonus. I actually received the 25% bonus on two UA-coded flights I flew on 3/3 SHARES Day!
My understanding is that this feature ends on 3/15!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Plat
If I take on this card and apply all the FEQMs towards status as I earn them that will get me to 75k quicker. If I hit 75k plat quickly than any actual EQMs will stillgo go towards 1k status? Or do they not even recognize the FEQMs put towards status when totaling the 1k miles?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by nerdkiller
If I take on this card and apply all the FEQMs towards status as I earn them that will get me to 75k quicker. If I hit 75k plat quickly than any actual EQMs will stillgo go towards 1k status? Or do they not even recognize the FEQMs put towards status when totaling the 1k miles?
No. if you apply 75k for platinum and then fly 1k, you'll still be at 75k. I assume that the flexeqm go back in the pool for future use. You'll be at 75k until you actually fly more than 75k, then you'll see the total increase.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Plat
Sucks.

I have flown about 80k for the last 4 years and spend alot on this card. I could have been hitting 75 within first 6 months of the year then my 2 winter flights to Asia would have covered me to 1k. Now I'll have to buy higher fare tickets to be in good position for EQM upgrades to China.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by jamflyer
Ok - I did the same thing. I thought you did a PC. I moved $20k limit from my PP to the SP - have $5k remaining and may either downgrade to the MP Explorer card or move the remaining $5k to SP if they let me.

In the end, I canceled the card and move the remaining $5k line to the Chase Sapphire. I am not travelling much anymore so no sense in keepin the CO/UA card - plus they are my 3rd choice in airline our of EWR (AA, B6 - preferred).

Now next year I will need to decide between the Citi Premier TY card and the SP.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Mar 7, 2012 at 1:07 pm Reason: Fixed UBB code
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I doubt much of that spend is lining UA's pockets. If UA's cut was so big (and under your assumption the top flyers are contributing the most to this cut) why on earth would they devalue the card so much as to turn away the top flyers? Are we attributing this to SMI/J just being an idiot? Doubt it. This is calculated. The "top tier" aren't making this card as valuable to UA as you may think.
Really? CO seems intent on getting as many people possible to get UA CC's and spend on them. They get a cut of that annual fee and of course, lots of money for miles.

There is in fact very little evidence that they thought through the FEQM change. Some intern probably said "hey, lets prevent anyone from earning anything more than plat with this card, we dont want just anyone earning diamond"(the 1K name was saved at the last minute...) , at the same time exempting PPlus members from minimum flight requirements, so you can earn plat without setting foot on a plane? Yet, not be able go from 95->100k EQM... yeah well thought out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.