Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
What card is available now?

Please forgive me, but I am confused. Is there a now a presidential plus card available now? I could not find it on the chase website. Is there any credit card that gives you annual membership in the united club, not just two passes?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by JB123
Please forgive me, but I am confused. Is there a now a presidential plus card available now? I could not find it on the chase website. Is there any credit card that gives you annual membership in the united club, not just two passes?
Yes... it's now the Mileage Plus Club Card. Not sure if they are accepting applications anywhere yet, but many people here had (and some still have) the old version called "Presidential Plus".

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:21 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by TomA
Don't know. But it seems to me that if you are marketing a credit card that generates most of its revenue through merchant fees, you would want to attract the biggest spenders.
Chase is all for big spenders. It is UA who put the clamps on credit-card-created 1Ks, not Chase.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
Don't know. But it seems to me that if you are marketing a credit card that generates most of its revenue through merchant fees, you would want to attract the biggest spenders.

In general, would that more likely be a top-tier Global Services member or would it be a Silver or non-elite?

(Keep in mind--the main competition is AMEX Platinum...)
Well, it's hard to make generalizations on the spend patterns of various elite levels, but I think it is fair to say that there are vastly more lower-level elite (which I include up to your non-"top dog" 1K flyers) than your 2K/GS tier.

And the merchant fee aspect only really applies to Chase. UA definitely and obviously has significant input into these benefits and I wouldn't be surprised if they are driving some of these "changes" to thin down the top-tier ranks.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Chase is all for big spenders. It is UA who put the clamps on credit-card-created 1Ks, not Chase.
One way or the other, UA receives a percentage of the sales. See here for an example of how this works:

http://www.crmtrends.com/CreditCardPrograms.html

Last edited by TomA; Mar 4, 2012 at 5:44 pm
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
Thanks

I did see that on the website but it says "coming soon". There are no details on cost and terms. So right now is there no credit card available that includes annual club membership?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
One way or the other, US receives a percentage of the sales. See here for an example of how this works:

http://www.crmtrends.com/CreditCardPrograms.html
Interesting read, thanks for posting.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Chase's UA page shows the Presidential Plus card with a United logo on it, so maybe it won't disappear as a name immediately.

Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:41 pm
RNE

Chase may phase in newly named cards when current ones expire.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
There used to be a United Club card whose main benefit beyond the usual Chase stuff was club access. This one made sense to me, effectively providing a discount of $100 or $200 a year for someone who might want both a regular United card and RCC membership to get both bundled together, probably modestly boosting club membership.

For about the same price as the United Club card, the Continental Presidential Plus card thew in a whole lot of other benefits that served mainly to inflate the ranks of elites. It's as if PMCO cared only about maximizing the distribution of the card, and not about providing honest elite benefits to its most loyal customers.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:16 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by joel67
It's as if PMCO cared only about maximizing the distribution of the card, and not about providing honest elite benefits to its most loyal customers.
LOL! This sentence basically sums up PMCO's corporate policies on all issues.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by kyte
Well, it's hard to make generalizations on the spend patterns of various elite levels, but I think it is fair to say that there are vastly more lower-level elite (which I include up to your non-"top dog" 1K flyers) than your 2K/GS tier.
The lower levels are not as profitable because of the overhead to return ratio. They are getting the same benefits, but contributing MUCH less revenue per person. A bank would rather have one 500,000 spender than ten 50,000 spenders. And on this card, a couple thousand dollar spender probably loses money. As many have pointed out, the annual fee just covers the United Club membership.

Originally Posted by kyte
And the merchant fee aspect only really applies to Chase.
Not true. See my other post above.

Originally Posted by JB123
I did see that on the website but it says "coming soon". There are no details on cost and terms. So right now is there no credit card available that includes annual club membership?
There IS... but apparently it is not accepting new applicants at the moment.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 4, 2012 at 6:45 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Silver
Received a large package in the mail today. Thought at first it was my new UA card which hasn't yet arrived. Then saw PP credentials and thought oh good it is my United Club card which hasnt yet arrived. Nope, wrapped in what looked like Kevlar packaging was luxury resort catalog which I already received for 2012 a couple of months ago. What a waste!!!
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:42 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by HSmartt
Received a large package in the mail today. Thought at first it was my new UA card which hasn't yet arrived. Then saw PP credentials and thought oh good it is my United Club card which hasnt yet arrived. Nope, wrapped in what looked like Kevlar packaging was luxury resort catalog which I already received for 2012 a couple of months ago. What a waste!!!
I know, right? Chase should just stop printing the big catalogs and give everyone a $5 statement credit to reflect the printing and mailing costs. Then again, the hotels/resorts probably pay Chase to spam us with that thing.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I'm planning to dump all my FEQM's into my 2011 balance to get them to count toward my lifetime balance (I don't expect to have any other use for them). I've been waiting until the last minute, but with all the strange things happening on the Web site, I started to see if I could get the Website to handle the transaction (instead of waiting on hold to get someone's supervisor to help me). I selected "2011 program" when given a choice of 2011 or 2012, then got the following screen, which seems to indicate that the EQM's might be attached to either the 2011 or 2012 program.

I cancelled at this point (afraid the system might apply them to 2012) but was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with trying to get the Web site to apply EQM's in excess of 75k for 2011. I'm also assuming that if by now UA/Chase hasn't announced a credit card designed for people flying more than 75k/year, most likely they're not going to anytime soon, and I should start looking for another card.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Mar 5, 2012 at 7:31 pm Reason: Fixed UBB code

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.