Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The main changes to the Presidential Plus card are the 25% RDM bonus miles going away March 2 and the FEQM changes that make FEQM useless for many of us. Nothing has been announced about the future of the card itself. See the first pst of this thread for the detailed list of changes.
So we are not sure if the card will still be offered after tomorrow? Wow, that puts me in a pickle. I guess the safe move is to apply tomorrow once I rescue my old OnePass account from years gone by.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by SULAX50
So we are not sure if the card will still be offered after tomorrow? Wow, that puts me in a pickle. I guess the safe move is to apply tomorrow once I rescue my old OnePass account from years gone by.
I've not seen anything to indicate it will or will nt be offered tomorrow. We just don't know. As a CO-branded card it is clearly going to be changed. Whether that means rebranding to UA, a new name and brand, or an entirely different card with completely different benefits remains to be seen.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I've not seen anything to indicate it will or will nt be offered tomorrow. We just don't know. As a CO-branded card it is clearly going to be changed. Whether that means rebranding to UA, a new name and brand, or an entirely different card with completely different benefits remains to be seen.
When I called to cancel two days ago, the CSR told me that they were told the card was being renamed, but no changes to already announced benefits.

I would take that info with a grain of salt.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mbreuer
When I called to cancel two days ago, the CSR told me that they were told the card was being renamed, but no changes to already announced benefits.

I would take that info with a grain of salt.
From the pss website, we already know that the card will be renamed as the Mileage Plus Club Card. As for the new benefits, we will have to wait and see.

https://pss.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by 14940674
From the pss website, we already know that the card will be renamed as the Mileage Plus Club Card. As for the new benefits, we will have to wait and see.

https://pss.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx
The new benefits are up, actually:
https://pss.united.com/web/en-US/con...x?offer=PP95SC

Also, as I suspected, it is now $150 for spouse access to the United Club for a year a $50 increase over last year.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
I like the tab for the "MileagePlus Plus" card. Looks like someone did a search-and-replace for "OnePass", replacing with "MileagePlus", and voila.

At least it appears that the card will survive relatively intact. Earlier versions of the pss site didn't seem to include it; probably today's version of the pss site is pretty close to what the actual site will be tomorrow.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bsmnsr
The new benefits are up, actually:
https://pss.united.com/web/en-US/con...x?offer=PP95SC

would be suspicious of this info, the cards say OnePass & Continental and does not include the new Explorer card
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I find it troubling that we are in the last day of the existence of the OP program and there have been no announcements about this card's future... Of course except for all the devaluations. Months ago we were promised that more info would be coming and the silence is deafening.
I took my last flight yesterday that earns the 25% bonus yesterday--the best perk of the card IMHO. My patience waiting for news from UA or Chase regarding this card, other than devaluations, is growing thin.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Renard
I took my last flight yesterday that earns the 25% bonus yesterday--the best perk of the card IMHO.
I'm wondering whether the Copa flights I took over the weekend and that have nt posted yet will post with the bonus.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
would be suspicious of this info, the cards say OnePass & Continental and does not include the new Explorer card
I received my PP UC card yesterday and the collateral material that came with he card listed the same information as the site. Nothing new, really. Mbut, that doesn't mean the card will be pushed after 03 Mar. It seems they like the Explorer card better.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
As a PMUA person seeing the Presidential Plus card for the first time last year, I'm still having a problem understanding why such a card even exists in this form. First there's the pricing:

- It's about the same cost as United Club membership, which it includes, so why would anyone ever buy club membership by itself?

- It's cheaper than the annual baggage option, which is included, so why would anyone ever buy the baggage option by itself?

- Same question for the annual Premier Access option, although I can't find that at the moment.

- If all the above isn't enough, they throw in the FEQMs, which for many have been worth thousands of dollars a year compared to the alternatives, as well as various other discounts. What would you be willing to pay for an upgrade on an award ticket?

- On the whole, this card is crazy cheap for anyone needing even 25% of its benefits, yet it serves to cheapen many of those benefits by flooding clubs, priority lines, etc. with people who have barely paid for those services.

The other question that comes to mind is who the target customer might be? On the one hand, a kettle taking just two or three trips a year can become "elite" for the cost he might have paid checking his bags alone, so this is the ultimate card for kettles. On the other hand, a moderate-level elite can use the club access, FEQMs, and award upgrade to become super-elite.

No matter how you look at it, this card feels greatly underpriced and pretty well designed to substantially dilute the benefits that the rest of us would normally get, either by paying top dollar or earning them through actual flying. Either Chase pays CO/UA a really big subsidy to offer this card to its members (like more than the annual fee!), or its another one of those cases of the airline caring more for TODs now, without regard to the integrity of their benefits program and pricing.

On the whole, it seems like this card should cease to exist in its current form and be replaced with two or three cards that have more limited and targeted benefits.

Am I missing something in this analysis?

Last edited by joel67; Mar 3, 2012 at 12:05 am
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: UA, DL
What I had heard from someone at Chase was that the PPlus Card was no longer marketed as of March 1st and the new MP Club Card will be offered March 20.

No details on the card benefits yet but I'm speculating it will be mostly the same except for earning EQMs will change.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:24 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
I just logged into the Chase site.

My Presidential Plus Card retains the name but now has a United logo (yesterday it was Continental).
My OnePass Plus Card is now the United MileagePlus Explorer Mastercard.
My United MileagePlus Explorer Visa is unchanged, as expected.

The new card application webpage no longer lists the Presidential Plus Card.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:53 am
RNE

Originally Posted by bsmnsr
It seems they like the Explorer card better.
Chase and COdbaUA are sold on the club card. They offer nothing better.

Originally Posted by joel67
As a PMUA person seeing the Presidential Plus card for the first time last year, I'm still having a problem understanding why such a card even exists in this form. Am I missing something in this analysis?
Yes, you are missing something: introspection. If you had more of that you would see you are engaging in envy, not analysis.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
Yes, you are missing something: introspection. If you had more of that you would see you are engaging in envy, not analysis.
A bit uncalled for, I believe. I had plenty of time to get my own PP card, but didn't see any value for a 1K flyer like me who already has club access covered. What I do see, though, is new overcrowding at priority check-in, security, and boarding lines and at United Clubs, with lots of people waving these credit cards around.

Those benefits that I used to enjoy require a certain level of exclusivity to work, so I'm thinking that their destruction might possibly be related to this badly underpriced card that seems so popular among the PMCO flyers now flooding the PMUA facilities (like you?). Can you really call this envy?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.