Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: United Premier 1k, Avis First, HHonor Diamond, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
N. This is not correct. You can use FlexEQM to get to 75k, but they don't count at all towards 1K. So, in the extreme, if you applied 75k FlexEQM to hit Platinum and had no other EQM for the year, you would still need to fly 100K to hit the next level (1k).Starting with the 2012 program, they increase your annual EQM, but only as far as 75K in a given year and they do not count toward your lifetime miles flwn.
Ah ok. Its becoming a little more clear. But for clarity,Let's say I use FLEX miles to reach 75k. So I only have to fly 25k more myself to reach 100k. Or i need to actually fly 100k miles, regardless of any applied FLEX miles, to qualify for 1k status?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:55 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Justin7525
Ah ok. Its becoming a little more clear. But for clarity,Let's say I use FLEX miles to reach 75k. So I only have to fly 25k more myself to reach 100k.
NO NO NO NO

Beginning in 2012, no amount of Flex EQM can ever be combined with any amount of flown EQM to achieve 1K status. Period.

Or i need to actually fly 100k miles, regardless of any applied FLEX miles, to qualify for 1k status?
Yes @:-)
Might not have to fly 100EQM, because things like class of service EQM and bonus EQM count toward 1K. But not Flex EQM from the credit card.

It's sad, but true. And that is why tons of people are cancelling the card.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Avis First, HHonor Diamond, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
NO NO NO NO

Beginning in 2012, no amount of Flex EQM can ever be combined with any amount of flown EQM to achieve 1K status. Period.

Yes @:-)
Might not have to fly 100EQM, because things like class of service EQM and bonus EQM count toward 1K. But not Flex EQM from the credit card.

It's sad, but true. And that is why tons of people are cancelling the card.
LOL at your no no no's. Ok ok ok...I get it now and thanks for clearing it up. I was going to apply for the card but now I am not.

I can only speculate they they want to reduce the number of top tier status members? I remember when DEQM flooded the system with status members. It was a nightmare really for hardcore flyers. Who knows though. Guess its either purchase a United Club membership or go AMEX Platinum. Hmmmm.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:09 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
LOL at your no no no's. Ok ok ok...I get it now and thanks for clearing it up. I was going to apply for the card but now I am not.
You're welcome. Many people have asked this question in this thread because UACO's original announcements of this policy were, as you noted, unclear. So I figured I would try to clear it up once and for all, so that no one applies for this card thinking it will get them 1K only to get a nasty surprise in December.

I can only speculate they they want to reduce the number of top tier status members? I remember when DEQM flooded the system with status members. It was a nightmare really for hardcore flyers.
I think that this is the reason as well. Although I would suspect that UACO is thinning the 1K ranks not for the benefit of hardcore flyers but for UACO's own benefit. (SWUs and CR-1s cost UACO money because they take up valuable upgrade seats that UACO could have sold to a GM for $20 a pop.)

Guess its either purchase a United Club membership or go AMEX Platinum. Hmmmm.
If you are considering buying a UC membership, this card may still be a good deal because of the club membership and RDMs. Just don't count on getting any value from the FEQMs if you are shooting for 1K.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Don't count on any value for the FlexEQMs if you fly 75k per year either. They'll expire worthless. They only have value for topping off up to 75k, less actual EQM flown. If you fly 72k every year and spend enough to get 50k FlexEQM you'll be losing 47k Flexeqm to expiration every year (assuming you top off to 75k).
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Well Elite Maximizer Miles do count toward 1k, in addition to flight miles and class bonuses. What many of us are waiting for is a card that does allow flex EQMs to top off 90,000 to 100,000.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Guess its either purchase a United Club membership or go AMEX Platinum. Hmmmm.
The AMEX PLAT card no longers allows entrance to Presidents Club as of 10/1/11 along with the complimentary priority club select access as well.

Last edited by utpharmdoc; Mar 1, 2012 at 2:03 pm
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by ag205071
Well Elite Maximizer Miles do count toward 1k, in addition to flight miles and class bonuses. What many of us are waiting for is a card that does allow flex EQMs to top off 90,000 to 100,000.
And sadly the deadline for refunding the $395 fee was yesterday for me.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
SHould at least be able to get it prorated... esp with the elimination of benefits. escalate!

I don't have a problem with UA saying you can't use FEQM solely to get 1K. That makes a lot of sense. What doesn't make a lot of sense is the blanket uselessness of FEQM for 75k+ flyers in general. I think they can come up with a fair arrangement that says FEQM can only be applied 1:1 against flown UA BIS to achieve any status above gold.

Someone who spends a ton, but doesn't fly at all can get gold: free SDC, bonus miles, E+, etc. Someone who flies 90k, or 98k can get 1K. At least they have to put their butt in seat.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by entropy
I don't have a problem with UA saying you can't use FEQM solely to get 1K. That makes a lot of sense. What doesn't make a lot of sense is the blanket uselessness of FEQM for 75k+ flyers in general. I think they can come up with a fair arrangement that says FEQM can only be applied 1:1 against flown UA BIS to achieve any status above gold.
The new plicy would make at least some sense if there were another product that high EQM flyers could move to. To date there has been no announcement of such a product, making the FEQM changes to this card punative to many of us.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
The AMEX PLAT card no longers allows entrance to Presidents Club as of 10/1/11 along with the complimentary priority club select access as well.
There was a thread where several mentioned AMEX Plat purchasing a US Airways lounge membership for them. IIRC it was not a blanketed program, but rather one that you had to meet certain spend or travel requirements for AMEX to do.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P

I can only speculate they they want to reduce the number of top tier status members? I remember when DEQM flooded the system with status members. It was a nightmare really for hardcore flyers. Who knows though. Guess its either purchase a United Club membership or go AMEX Platinum. Hmmmm.
Yep, a Kayaker flying ONE FLIGHT to eastern Europe once was silver. I think they were called Silver Fauxes. Two R/T flights from the East Coast to OZ and you were a 1K. Crazy.

Before those days, silvers could expect an upgrade from non-hubs a good percentage of the time.

Originally Posted by ag205071
Haha... just be sure not to hold your breath while you wait.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 1, 2012 at 5:51 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Red_Rob
There was a thread where several mentioned AMEX Plat purchasing a US Airways lounge membership for them. IIRC it was not a blanketed program, but rather one that you had to meet certain spend or travel requirements for AMEX to do.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...o-lounges.html
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
PPlus and Premier Access after March 3rd

So I searched the whole thread and did not find a clear answer, hopefully someone knows here. I am about to lose 1K on United. It looks like the Presidential Plus Continental card a great way to keep access to Premier Access for check in, baggage, security, and boarding.

Will the full Presidential Plus premier access benefits go away on March 3rd? Will I still be able to apply for a Presidential Plus card after March 3rd, or should I jump on this right away?

If the benefits don't change and the card won't be offered after tomorrow, I am applying tonight.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The main changes to the Presidential Plus card are the 25% RDM bonus miles going away March 2 and the FEQM changes that make FEQM useless for many of us. Nothing has been announced about the future of the card itself. See the first pst of this thread for the detailed list of changes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.