Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by TomA
Not sure where you are getting that. I converted to Ink.

I guess its a case of YMMV - three calls to Chase yielded me the same response.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by rgrunnah
I have still been able, through February, to apply FEQMs retroactively to 2011 status.

At the end of my next PPlus billing cycle in mid-March, I think I'll have just enough FEQMs to apply to 2011 status to receive 1K for 2011.

However, it was announced 1K could not be obtained by FEQMs, and the switch-over in systems is occuring on March 3rd.

Does anyone know if either of these events will prevent me from calling Mileage Plus after my my March FEQMs post to have them applied to 2011 1K status?
Probably just a matter of who I get on the phone.
1) The ability t apply FEQM to 2011 ends at some point in the next day or two.

2) The OnePass Service Center will (incorrectly IMHO) not allow you to apply any Flex EQM to your 2011 balance that cause your 2011 total to exceed 75k.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.668 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Originally Posted by rgrunnah
I have still been able, through February, to apply FEQMs retroactively to 2011 status.

At the end of my next PPlus billing cycle in mid-March, I think I'll have just enough FEQMs to apply to 2011 status to receive 1K for 2011.

However, it was announced 1K could not be obtained by FEQMs, and the switch-over in systems is occuring on March 3rd.

Does anyone know if either of these events will prevent me from calling Mileage Plus after my my March FEQMs post to have them applied to 2011 1K status?
Probably just a matter of who I get on the phone.
1) The ability t apply FEQM to 2011 ends at some point in the next day or two.

2) The OnePass Service Center will (incorrectly IMHO) not allow you to apply any Flex EQM to your 2011 balance that cause your 2011 total to exceed 75k.
I thought it was until March 31 as per the card's T&C.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
My renewal fee came up in Feb, so it looks like I wont even get the statement credit this year with the new MileagePlus starting 3/2. After careful consideration looks like I will be canceling next week unless some new benefits are announced with the new website.

My circumstances:
Current GS; Flies >200K miles recently; likely to be Platinum or higher for the next several years; Has Marriott, SPG, cards & Amex Plat; Wife has the old CO visa ($60/yr, gives her 1 free bag, and 2x miles on UACO purchases); Wife usually makes Silver. I never valued the club membership enough to pay the listed price, this card got me to buy (with CO Amex ending relationship as well).

Not sure if I will decide to renew my United Club seperately for $250, try to talk Amex into buying a US Airways membership, or just letting it lapse. Ultimately the 25% bonus was the benefit that would have kept me around (and spending 100K+ on the card), oh well it was nice while it lasted.

Detailed analysis:
New benefits:
Book any seat, any time, on any flight. Free with status
Book reward seats close to your departure date without a fee. Free with status
Double miles on United tickets. Get from wife's $60/yr card
Inside Access From Chase. Worthless

Recently Introduced Benefits:
Upgrades on Reward tickets for Elites. Slight value, but doesnt work reliably
Free checked bags on Continental and United. Free with status
No foreign transaction fees. Nice, but Amex has too

Continuing Benefits:
Lounge membership. PPlat/GS price is significantly below card priceEliteAccess travel benefits. Free with status
The Luxury Hotel and Resorts Collection. Never used & Get with Amex
Premier travel and purchase protection. Access Premier travel and purchase protection, including primary auto rental collision damage coverage. Decent vacation benefit - Some value to me
Miles donít expire. No value, just have some activity
Concierge Services. 24/7 Concierge Services. Never used, have Amex

Benefit Changes:
Flex Elite Qualification Miles (Flex EQMs) Worth much less, any I earn this year would all likely expire
Elite mileage bonus to be removed. Major loss of value This one would have led me to keep the card

Other Benefits not mentioned by OP:

Avis & Hyatt - Nice in theory, but I have never used either
Discount on drinks (CO flights, and legacy PCs) - Another vanishing benefit
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Red_rob, I suggest you immediately transfer every FEQM you have to your 2011 balance so you can at least count 'em towards lifetime EQM.

(and then dump the card)
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Nice summary Red_Rob. I really like double upgrades as part of the Avis benefit, but I don't think it's worth the $395 cost for that and the United Club membership. Since I already have status and a Plat AMEX, I'm waiting so see what card gets offered as a replacement and if it's similar to the new "enhanced" PPlus, then I'll drop it as well.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by mbreuer
I thought it was until March 31 as per the card's T&C.
It may very well be -- I culdn't find the exact date and was going by my fading memry.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by entropy
Red_rob, I suggest you immediately transfer every FEQM you have to your 2011 balance so you can at least count 'em towards lifetime EQM.
I wish those attempting this gd luck. I tried to effect such a transfer yessterday and was rejected as I already had more than 75k EQM in my account for 2011. Of course, nothing in the rules shows any such limit for 2011. The OPSC is incorrectly imposing the new-for-2012 75k max rule to 2011 balances anyway.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I wish those attempting this gd luck. I tried to effect such a transfer yessterday and was rejected as I already had more than 75k EQM in my account for 2011. Of course, nothing in the rules shows any such limit for 2011. The OPSC is incorrectly imposing the new-for-2012 75k max rule to 2011 balances anyway.
According to the official rules, you should be able to do it, and in a situation where you're going to get screwed by the new dumb rules, I suggest you fight tooth and nail to at least get some benefit from your FEQM.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
According to the official rules, you should be able to do it, and in a situation where you're going to get screwed by the new dumb rules, I suggest you fight tooth and nail to at least get some benefit from your FEQM.
Abslutely!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Applying 2011 flexeqm retroactively

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Abslutely!
Just searched this thread - UA Insider confirmed that one can apply FlexEQM earned prior to 2012 to 2011 balances through March 31, 2012. It's post 1090 in this thread.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: United Premier 1k, Avis First, HHonor Diamond, Marriot Gold
A little confused.

So let's say I use FLEX miles to get up to the 75k threashold. Every mile I earn after that (by flying) will count up towards 1k? So I just need 25k flight miles to reach 1k?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is do the FLEX miles increase your elite mileage bonus amount or just bump the status up but your mileage amount stays the same with what you fly?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:48 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Justin7525
A little confused.

So let's say I use FLEX miles to get up to the 75k threashold. Every mile I earn after that (by flying) will count up towards 1k? So I just need 25k flight miles to reach 1k?
NO NO NO NO

Beginning in 2012, no amount of Flex EQM can ever be combined with any amount of flown EQM to achieve 1K status. Period. Combination is only allowed for qualification to Silver, Gold, or Plat.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
A little confused.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is do the FLEX miles increase your elite mileage bonus amount or just bump the status up but your mileage amount stays the same with what you fly?
If you want to get to 1K, this card doesn't help at all. None of the FEQM counts toward 1K. In other words, if you spent so much that you had 75k FEQM, you would be Platinum. You then take a flight giving you 500 EQM's. Your total toward 1K is now 500 EQM.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

N. This is not correct. You can use FlexEQM to get to 75k, but they don't count at all towards 1K. So, in the extreme, if you applied 75k FlexEQM to hit Platinum and had no other EQM for the year, you would still need to fly 100K to hit the next level (1k).
Starting with the 2012 program, they increase your annual EQM, but only as far as 75K in a given year and they do not count toward your lifetime miles flwn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.