Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Presidential Plus Card Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Sheraton Gold
"Club" lacks any sense of prestige at all. It is drab and bring just like the new name of the clubs.

"Club World" is the name of British Airway's business class. I guess they think it has a prestigious sound. You know, one of those walnut paneled, potted palms, subdued lighting, faint smell of pipe or cigar smoke, uniformed butlers running around filling drink orders and acting subservient in that "Upstairs, Downstairs" way only the British seem to have perfected. Whether it fits for an airline lounge I guess is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited by gonezen; Feb 17, 2012 at 1:56 pm Reason: Fixed UBB code
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by gonezen
"Club World" is the description of British Airway's business class. I guess they think it has a prestigious sound. You know, one of those walnut paneled, potted palms, subdued lighting, faint smell of pipe or cigar smoke, uniformed butlers running around filling drink orders and acting subservient in that "Upstairs, Downstairs" way only the British seem to have perfected. Whether it fits for an airline lounge I guess is in the eye of the beholder.
"Club World" certainly has sme cache. "United Club" is rather unimaginative. Similarly, "MileagePlus Club" has nothing on "Presidential Plus" which is both alliterative and somewhat alluring.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Similarly, "MileagePlus Club" has nothing on "Presidential Plus" which is both alliterative and somewhat alluring.
Well, The Presidential Plus also dovetailed into the President's Club, which itself had some sort of cachet....
I don't see why they couldn't have 3 levels of cards:
MP Explorer (Basic)
MP Red Carpet Card (Presidential Plus)
MP Global JetSetter (only for Plat+, with better bennies)
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
"MileagePlus Club Card"? What a silly name. It sounds like a card you'd get along with a Cstc membership.
Hardly. The free food offerings at Costco are far superior to the ones this card gets you!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by entropy
Well, The Presidential Plus also dovetailed into the President's Club, which itself had some sort of cachet....
I don't see why they couldn't have 3 levels of cards:
MP Explorer (Basic)
MP Red Carpet Card (Presidential Plus)
MP Global JetSetter (only for Plat+, with better bennies)
Even the name "MileagePlus Explorer" sunds more exciting/interesting than the "club" card.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Am I the only person amused that the premier credit card offered by United might well be the last Continental branded product we use?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 2K/2MM
I suppose that I do not know what an FEQM is may be part of the problem

Originally Posted by entropy
welcome to FT blokay,

How many FEQM do you have now? First recommendation is to dump every single one into your 2011 balance since they'll count towards lifetime; and you're almost to the 2MM (lifetime plat) which is all they'll let you get with FEQM anyways.

Then, keep the AX and drop the card , unless the new benefits are better somehow.
Thanks for the welcome!

I am going to assume that "FEQM" comes from the UA side. My 1K (UA) will come from CO on the consolidation so many of the things I read here I do not know what they are (never flew UA - except many years back.). I'll learn - but with things changing in the near term I probably won't pay much attention for a while.

The lounge access (in the US) is pretty important (I would almost pay for it out-of-pocket if I had to) - only reason I would ditch the AMEX is to get into the lounge. Other lounges don't work for me - wrong terminal. I did see a few posts about a $200 credit from AMEX for lounge card purchase - but have yet to confirm if that is true. I suppose what bothers me the most is that COUA is trying to force me to use their card - as opposed to giving me an incentive.

By the way - at the Singapore air show today. Lot's of new goodies out there - even some long-haul economy seats that don't look too bad.

Last edited by blokay; Feb 17, 2012 at 9:20 pm
Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by blokay
I did see a few posts about a $200 credit from AMEX for lounge card purchase - but have yet to confirm if that is true.
Yes, Amex play gives you $200 for airline club membership purchases. Day passes, month passes, yearly memberships. You need to choose which airline and only that airline then for that calendar year. This is a nice workaround in a way with the Amex plat benefits; you get access to Delta and American clubs when flying that airline that day, US Air club access, priority pass club access included, and if you use the United airline credit-then United Club Membership for each year for $200 less than it would normally be. That is, if multiple club access is important to you.
PM me if I can earn a referral for your new Platinum

I really hope they make this club card something of more value as the PPlus lacks the luster it once had with some of the recent changes.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by pcharles
Yes, Amex play gives you $200 for airline club membership purchases. Day passes, month passes, yearly memberships. You need to choose which airline and only that airline then for that calendar year. This is a nice workaround in a way with the Amex plat benefits; you get access to Delta and American clubs when flying that airline that day, US Air club access, priority pass club access included, and if you use the United airline credit-then United Club Membership for each year for $200 less than it would normally be. That is, if multiple club access is important to you.
PM me if I can earn a referral for your new Platinum

I really hope they make this club card something of more value as the PPlus lacks the luster it once had with some of the recent changes.
You can also use the $200 for gift certificate purchases if you have anything left near the end of the year. I got my AMX PLt in December and immediately picked up $200 in certs.

Not a bad deal for my first month of membership

FWIW
DLM
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:26 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18053175-post706.html

Thoughts?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by ayodeji13
My thoughts are: "This is one of the benefits they killed, so the point is moot."

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...changes.14680/
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:05 am

Has there ever been a bonus offer for the Pres Plus?

I am seriously considering getting this card because I want to earn additional qualifying miles to attain Premier Platinum status and star-gold level. (I have high spend from business use).

But it is hard to pull the trigger when I see great bonuses for other cards and nothing for this card.

Has there ever been a bonus for this card? If yes, then maybe I should wait and perhaps they will have one this spring when the launch the new cards. But if no, perhaps that’s because they position this card differently and there will never be a bonus and so I shouldn’t wait.

Any advice?

Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by lewinr
I am seriously considering getting this card because I want to earn additional qualifying miles to attain Premier Platinum status and star-gold level. (I have high spend from business use).

But it is hard to pull the trigger when I see great bonuses for other cards and nothing for this card.

Has there ever been a bonus for this card? If yes, then maybe I should wait and perhaps they will have one this spring when the launch the new cards. But if no, perhaps that’s because they position this card differently and there will never be a bonus and so I shouldn’t wait.

Any advice?

Thanks
The best bonus was first year free, but that was about a year ago.

If you want to wait for a bonus, I'd wait until after March when the integration gets sorted out.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomA
If you want to wait for a bonus, I'd wait until after March when the integration gets sorted out.
By that time this card may nt exist any more. Whatever replaces it may or may not have the desired FEQM features. I suspect it will, but there are obviously no guarantees. Clearly, the new card will be a Visa and not a MasterCard.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
By that time this card may nt exist any more. Whatever replaces it may or may not have the desired FEQM features. I suspect it will, but there are obviously no guarantees. Clearly, the new card will be a Visa and not a MasterCard.
If the new one doesn't have them, they will go away regardless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.