Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Presidential Plus Card Changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by dmunz
But the AMX has a $200/year rebate deal that can be used for United Club day pass access. If you only need the club at IAH a few times a year this works. It doesn't, however, help with guests or the security gate pass deal.
If you but the membership shortly after your day pass, I believe they allow you to apply the value of the day pass to your membership (that way AMEX pays for it). AMEX customer service also told me that if you but a full membership at the airport on a day you are flying (on a ticket purchased with your Amex, AND its your registered airline) they will apply the full $200 credit on the single purchase.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by RNE
So you are foregoing an irreplaceable safety margin of FEQMs in order to reach MM status six months sooner than you otherwise expect to?
It's odd to me too--MM status doesn't have any benefit over 1K anyway (for the current year) does it?

Originally Posted by dmunz
But the AMX has a $200/year rebate deal that can be used for United Club day pass access. If you only need the club at IAH a few times a year this works. It doesn't, however, help with guests or the security gate pass deal.

I picked up the AMX a couple of weeks ago and the only difference in benefits is see is the Avis Presidents level membership. I'll probably drop the PP card in June when I'm up for renewal.

FWIW
DLM
Yes, but I will definitely use that credit for excess baggage. Probably in a single trip!

What is the security gate pass deal?

I am thinking about getting the UA Explorer card. It would only cost $35 per year with the 1K annual credit, and that would give me two passes per year for domestic club use. That's enough.

Are there any differences between the MileagePlus Explorer card and the CO version of the same card (I don't remember the name...)?

Wasn't there some kind of benefit on the CO Presidential card that allowed you to upgrade reward tix?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 27, 2011 at 4:16 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by TomA
It's odd to me too--MM status doesn't have any benefit over 1K anyway (for the current year) does it?
Just the spouse benefit. The 1 MM mark provides Premier Gold status (which is less than 1K).
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:58 am
RNE

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
He'd also get 4 more regionals and 2 more SWUs, that's a nice benefit. And if you know you're not dropping below 1K/GS, card is pretty worthless for you.
It is certainly a nice short-term benefit. However, I'm considering the potential long term benefit of 51,000 NXFEQMs in an unknowable future. But instead of considering the future, let's travel back to the past.

In 2008, a lot of our friends hereon "knew" they were not dropping below (fill in the blank), but then the financial system seized, the economy faltered, jobs were slashed, travel was scrapped and suddenly Platinums were dropping like flies. I myself was a Gold who expected to be Gold again. Nope. Fifty-one thousand FEQMs could have kept me afloat at Gold for a year, or Silver for two years. That's a nice benefit.

RNE, concluding, "No one can 'know you're not dropping below 1K/GS...'"
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by RNE
So you are foregoing an irreplaceable safety margin of FEQMs in order to reach MM status six months sooner than you otherwise expect to?
My current lifetime total is around 800k. If I don't transfer these miles, it will take me several years (not 6 months) to get to MM (assuming no changes to my expected flying patterns). I fly B and BF fares a lot, so my BIS might be, say, only 75k/yr, and only BIS will count toward MM staring in 2012. When my travel does go down, it will go nearly all the way down. I just don't want to see these FEQM's go to waste. And my next card will either be much less than $395 or will have benefits I can actually use today.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:25 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I'll be 1K or GS for at least the next 3 years.
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
My current lifetime total is around 800k. If I don't transfer these miles, it will take me several years (not 6 months) to get to MM (assuming no changes to my expected flying patterns). I fly B and BF fares a lot, so my BIS might be, say, only 75k/yr, and only BIS will count toward MM staring in 2012. I just don't want to see these FEQM's go to waste.
I'm not saying you will reach MM in six months. I'm saying your loss of 51,000 irreplaceable NXFEQMs will let you reach MM six months sooner than you expect to reach it without using those miles. Years away in either case. As for my six months figure, I relied on your previous statement (quoted above) to estimate your annual BIS at 100k/year. Even at 75k annually, as you now clarify, 51k moves from 6 to 8 months' travel. Not a big difference. Thus, is it a waste not to spend them before 2012 or a waste to spend them? Nobody really knows.

RNE, doing some clarifying of my own, "The NXFEQMs are yours to do with as you please. And I won't criticize your decision. However, I advocate caution and prudence in scrying the future."
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by RNE
RNE, doing some clarifying of my own, "The NXFEQMs are yours to do with as you please. And I won't criticize your decision. However, I advocate caution and prudence in scrying the future."
I agree with your advice, although I did have to look up one of the words...

scrying
present participle of scry Verb: Foretell the future using a crystal ball or other reflective object or surface.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by TomA
Yes, but I will definitely use that credit for excess baggage. Probably in a single trip!

What is the security gate pass deal?

I am thinking about getting the UA Explorer card. It would only cost $35 per year with the 1K annual credit, and that would give me two passes per year for domestic club use. That's enough.

Are there any differences between the MileagePlus Explorer card and the CO version of the same card (I don't remember the name...)?

Wasn't there some kind of benefit on the CO Presidential card that allowed you to upgrade reward tix?
With a President's Club membership CO will issue you a gate pass to go through security to the club even if you are not flying. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that will stick around with the United Clubs though.

FWIW
DLM
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:04 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
My RDMs posted to CO on 12/20, but my FEQM have not yet posted as of today.
At what point should I start to worry? My only serious concern is that I need 1k EQM to requalify (as a result of a reroute that reduced my EQM by 990), and that my "Plan B" was to dump 10k UA Visa Choices into my UA EQM, but that plan would no longer work after 12/30.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Other than the Spouse benefit? no. But certainly if one feels the MM goal is worthwhile, dumping as many FEQM into the count as you can while you can seems worthwhile.
While the idea that you'll be able to use 'expireless' FEQM forever may seem attractive, I just don't see it. If you're close to 1MM, might as well lock that up, which you'll then have forever. And of course, if you're anything close to 2MM, you might as well pack 'em in since at 2MM you get all the benefits you could possibly get with future FEQM application.

My RDMs posted to CO on 12/20, but my FEQM have not yet posted as of today.
It generally takes up to a week.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
For those of you who like to gamble with the unknown, let's not forget that UA Insider never stated that the NXFEQM's which were not applied by 12/31/11 would not be included in the 1-time sweep for MM status, as they were earned under the old rules where they would EVENTUALLY count for MM status. In fact, I have posted this question a couple of times, and it got ignored.

I therefore conclude that there's a 50/50 chance that those of us (like myself) who leave our NXFEQM's right where they are may end up having them count for MM status after all. I'd just rather save them for when I really need them, even if they don't count toward my MM status.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SS255
For those of you who like to gamble with the unknown, let's not forget that UA Insider never stated that the NXFEQM's which were not applied by 12/31/11 would not be included in the 1-time sweep for MM status, as they were earned under the old rules where they would EVENTUALLY count for MM status. In fact, I have posted this question a couple of times, and it got ignored.

I therefore conclude that there's a 50/50 chance that those of us (like myself) who leave our NXFEQM's right where they are may end up having them count for MM status after all. I'd just rather save them for when I really need them, even if they don't count toward my MM status.
I don't think you were ignored, I think people just don't have an answer, very different.

You could say there is a 50/50 chance but are you willing to take that chance? What will you do if they do not count after the New Year starts? There will be no way to go back and apply them. Until there is something definitive posted saying yes I personally would not take the chance if you really want them to count towards MM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
You could say there is a 50/50 chance but are you willing to take that chance? What will you do if they do not count after the New Year starts? There will be no way to go back and apply them. Until there is something definitive posted saying yes I personally would not take the chance if you really want them to count towards MM.
Well, you can dump them now and ask questions later. My next batch comes in mid jan, and you can best believe I will be 'testing' a FEQM or two and see if it counts in my MM count or not.

My guess is that the MM sweep is only on the UA side and that CO will continue to be business as usual until they "upgrade" their systems, end of Q1.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
Well, you can dump them now and ask questions later. My next batch comes in mid jan, and you can best believe I will be 'testing' a FEQM or two and see if it counts in my MM count or not.

My guess is that the MM sweep is only on the UA side and that CO will continue to be business as usual until they "upgrade" their systems, end of Q1.
Yes, the adjustment is only on the UA side but it has been posted by UAInsider that going forward both UA and CO will only be BIS as of 1/1/2012.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:19 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SS255
In fact, I have posted this question a couple of times, and it got ignored.

I therefore conclude that there's a 50/50 chance that those of us (like myself) who leave our NXFEQM's right where they are may end up having them count for MM status after all.
Saying that a question has not been definitively answered beyond all possible doubt is not the same as saying that there is a 50/50 chance.

(Example: If there is one F seat left, and you are #6 on the upgrade waitlist, you won't know for sure whether you get upgraded until that F seat is given out. But it would not be reasonable ot therefore conclude that there is a 50/50 chance that you will get upgraded.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.