Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
the US closes down for the last 2 weeks of the year.
Originally Posted by joshwex90
We do?
Pretty much. Doubt the beancounters @Chase will be overworking themselves during the holidays to rush an end-of-year announcement. It's either soon or Q1 2012.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:50 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I received my club card today! (2-3 weeks after receiving the credit card)

I like the new design as well--the "portrait" orientation is interesting. Not sure if it's practical, but the change from the standard "landscape" orientation is refreshing (at least as a novelty). The colors look good as well.

Originally Posted by kyte
Pretty much. Doubt the beancounters @Chase will be overworking themselves during the holidays to rush an end-of-year announcement. It's either soon or Q1 2012.
I don't think the US closes down for the last 2 weeks of the year. Most of the last 1 week maybe. And some people may take the whole last 2 weeks off, but the country doesn't shut down. Post offices and goverment agencies (not to mention businesses) are still open, except on the official holidays.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 22, 2011 at 6:36 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
That just means people are physically there, but I suspect that less work gets done during that period than during any other 2-week period in the year.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That just means people are physically there, but I suspect that less work gets done during that period than during any other 2-week period in the year.
Yeah, like today is the day before Thanksgiving. Even though I'm in China and working, my workload since Monday has dropped by about 90% since the US isn't calling with requests.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
I don't think the US closes down for the last 2 weeks of the year. Most of the last 1 week maybe. And some people may take the whole last 2 weeks off, but the country doesn't shut down. Post offices and goverment agencies (not to mention businesses) are still open, except on the official holidays.
So, obviously (maybe not?), the country shutting down is an exaggeration. The point is that most services are considerably reduced - skeleton crews will be covering. And while we can expect restaurants, malls, etc to be busy rest assured the decision-makers at Chase won't be busy working on the new UA card while we enjoy the former.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: United MP (Platinum), AS (75K), AA (GM)
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Unless something has changed dramatically, that will only work for at the CO clubs; a couple of months ago I was 50/50 on RCC staff having the slightest clue about how to look up membership via a OP number and it took phone calls "to Houston" in each case. Maybe the IT has gotten better.
Last Friday (11/18) I was with a friend at the IAD UC (ex RCC) and they still did not have the (electronic) ability to check his membership using his OP #. After having them sigh heavily, fumble a bit with the computer, and needing to "call Continental", I just just got him in as a guest of mine.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
when you take into account that the US closes down for the last 2 weeks of the year.
compared to Europe shutting down from late July through mid September?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone, here are answers to some of the questions that have asked (finally, I know).

Hi jonu and tarheelnj, although it took a while to track down the answer, I’ve confirmed that you’ll have the ability to apply your expiring Flex EQMs first and hold onto the non-expiring ones earned prior to January 1, 2012 to apply last.

Hi jmr50, in this scenario, you could put 20K of Flex EQMs into your empty account and then fly any number of miles to reach incremental statuses up to 75K. Once at 75K, you won't be able to add Flex EQMs and flown EQMs together to get to a higher tier. In 2012 we’ll begin showing EQMs earned via flights separately from EQMs deposited from the conversion of Flex EQMs.

Hi PSU Mudder, this is correct.

Hi bsmnsr, the rate to purchase club access for a spouse will change to $150.

Hi cova, the Avis Presidents Club and Hyatt Platinum benefits will not change.

Hi rcodey, the “book any seat, any time” is in reference to being able to book award travel, even if it’s the last seat on the aircraft.

Hi Avalon28, what can I say? Thank you!

Hi tarheelnj, this is absolutely a fair question. Yet, tough to answer. I say tough for a few reasons. First, we’re still working on so many details that we’re just not yet in a position to share the full story. Believe me, we would if we could. Second, there's no denying it, a couple of the particular changes that were announced are indeed negative for many you. But, at the end of the day, we think it’s important to share negative changes even when the rest of the picture can’t quite yet be painted. Ultimately, the specific changes that were announced were foundational as we prepare to introduce a comparable card for the new United that will have some nice new features as well. I do wish we had more to share on this, but, we're simply not there yet.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights and Metrics
United Airlines
Interesting information from UA Insider regarding Chase Presidential Plus Card FEQMs and the ability (or lack of ability) to leverage these miles in 2012 toward 2013 1K status. This causes an interesting consequence for high lifetime mileage members (e.g., 2M) who will quality for lifetime Platinum Premier in the new program. For these (presumably valued) members, their accumulated FEQMs will become worthless. Better to use them all in 2011 toward a higher lifetime mileage tier and drop the Card for a better one. United MP may want to rethink decison this before high-spend clients defect to other Cards. As a business owner, we spend a huge amount each year on the Card in part due to the FEQM benefit. That may change soon.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by DaveWM_SFBay
As a business owner, we spend a huge amount each year on the Card in part due to the FEQM benefit. That may change soon.
Just curious, where else are you going to put your spending?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by DaveWM_SFBay
Interesting information from UA Insider regarding Chase Presidential Plus Card FEQMs and the ability (or lack of ability) to leverage these miles in 2012 toward 2013 1K status. This causes an interesting consequence for high lifetime mileage members (e.g., 2M) who will quality for lifetime Platinum Premier in the new program. For these (presumably valued) members, their accumulated FEQMs will become worthless. Better to use them all in 2011 toward a higher lifetime mileage tier and drop the Card for a better one. United MP may want to rethink decison this before high-spend clients defect to other Cards. As a business owner, we spend a huge amount each year on the Card in part due to the FEQM benefit. That may change soon.
And what is still unsaid is whether non expiring FlexEQM earned BEFORE 2012 can be used in future years towards 1K and whether if applied in future years they'll count toward lifetime status.

As of now I've decided to stop spend on my PP card as of the end of my last billing cycle of 2011 (two cards - mine and my spouse's - both primary). Absent changes to benefits we'll cancel them in early January when the annual fee comes due.

Spending will go back to Amex (SPG and/or Plat).

Between the two of us (both primary cards btw) we'll end the year with about 35,000 FlexEQM. I hope someone at COUA/Chase is aware of the amount of business they're about to lose.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by jonu
If you are not flying enough to be elite, do you use the lounge enough to make the card worth it? Especially if most flights (from EWR) are non-stop? If it is worth it by your own calculus, then yes, this is a good card. If it isn't and you want to save $300 and get similar (though not quite as good) benefits, you could get the Explorer card.

The assumption is the FEQM and flying would be enough to get at a minimum the lowest elite level. As one who is in the same boat - I can tell you the card is most worth it, especially out of EWR.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:35 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mbreuer
And what is still unsaid is whether non expiring FlexEQM earned BEFORE 2012 can be used in future years towards 1K and whether if applied in future years they'll count toward lifetime status.
Based on the statements from UA staff, I think it's very clear that FEQMs, regardless of when they are earned, will not be usable to reach 1K status or count toward lifetime status after this year. Of course, UA may change their mind in the future, but as someone who will have lifetime Plat in the new program, I saw no value in holding onto my FEQMs and have used them all to bump me a little closer to lifetime 1K before they became worthless next year.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: AA 9 Million Miler, UA 1K, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Amex Centurion
Clarification Needed on FEQM Limit

If 75k FEQM's are used in 2012 to reach Plat, and 25k EQM's are earned the same year from flights, will Premier 1k be awarded, or is 1k not attainable unless all 100k EQM's come from flights?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by ariholland
If 75k FEQM's are used in 2012 to reach Plat, and 25k EQM's are earned the same year from flights, will Premier 1k be awarded, or is 1k not attainable unless all 100k EQM's come from flights?
All 100k EQMs must come from flights to obtain 1K.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by skj
Based on the statements from UA staff, I think it's very clear that FEQMs, regardless of when they are earned, will not be usable to reach 1K status or count toward lifetime status after this year.
It is very clear that no amount of FEQM's, from 2012 onward, can be applied to reach status beyond Plat and post-2011 FEQM's will not count towards MM status. What's not clear is whether (F)EQM's earned prior to 2012 will count towards MM status if not applied in 2011.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.