Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:12 pm

Hello Everyone!

I fly frequently every year, but just short enough of being able to reach elite status.

This is my third or fourth year as a Presidential Plus Card Member.

For me, the approx. $400 cost per year seems worth it. I get free baggage, priority boarding and security access as well as United Red Carpet club membership.

The only problems I have had as of late is that United still does not recognize the Presidential Plus Card benefits, and that is causing me to think about not renewing until the kinks are worked out -- especially since I seem to get thrown to more United operated flights.

My home airport is Newark, so naturally, Continental has a huge hub there.

Two questions...

1. As someone who doesn't fly enough to earn elite on his own, is the Chase Presidential Card still a good value? I think so, but there seems to be arguments here against the card.

2. Any other airline that has a better perks card than Continental? Problems with the merger has me thinking of switching airlines and I am wondering if there is a better rewards card to be had.

Thanks so much
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by NJRonbo
2. Any other airline that has a better perks card than Continental? Problems with the merger has me thinking of switching airlines and I am wondering if there is a better rewards card to be had.
Here are the comparable competitor cards:

Delta Reserve AMEX Card:

http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge.../Delta-Reserve

Highlights:
  • Sky Club Access
  • 10,000 MQMs after first purchase, 15,000 after $30,000 spend, and 15,000 more after $60,000 spend
  • First Bag Free
  • 20% In-Flight Purchase Savings
  • Companion Flight Certificate
  • $450 Annual Fee

American Citi Executive AAdvantage Card:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/citiexecutive.jsp

Highlights:
  • Admirals Club Membership
  • 10,000 EQMs after $40,000 spend
  • Free First Bag
  • Priority Check-in, Security, and Boarding
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Double Miles on AA Purchases
  • $450 Annual Fee

I still see the Presidential Plus as the best bet. You gain access to a larger lounge network, and it is cheaper ($395).

Originally Posted by ANotherOne
Hi all,

long time lurker. I've been reading this thread and it's quite big, and the search doesn't seem so helpful. Are there any signup bonuses with the Presidential Plus card, similar to the 30K-50K for the OnePass Plus card?
There is no sign-up bonus, but you can get the annual fee waved for the first year. See this thread (despite what the OP says, it is still a valid offer):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...l-395-fee.html

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 16, 2011 at 8:50 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:42 pm

Hello Everyone!

I fly frequently every year, but just short enough of being able to reach elite status.

This is my third or fourth year as a Presidential Plus Card Member.

For me, the approx. $400 cost per year seems worth it. I get free baggage, priority boarding and security access as well as United Red Carpet club membership.

The only problems I have had as of late is that United still does not recognize the Presidential Plus Card benefits, and that is causing me to think about not renewing until the kinks are worked out -- especially since I seem to get thrown to more United operated flights.

Two questions...

1. As someone who doesn't fly enough to earn elite on his own, is the Chase Presidential Card still a good value? I think so, but there seems to be arguments here against the card.

Thanks so much
If you are not flying enough to be elite, do you use the lounge enough to make the card worth it? Especially if most flights (from EWR) are non-stop? If it is worth it by your own calculus, then yes, this is a good card. If it isn't and you want to save $300 and get similar (though not quite as good) benefits, you could get the Explorer card.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HA Pualani
Thumbs up Suggestions for Chase/CO for Platinums and 1K

I am a 1k with real flying and get at least 10,000 feqm every month on PP card business spending, so not too happy about not leaving much value for 75k plus actual flyers who also have high spending on the card.

This, I would suggest the following:

1. Allow us to route excess feqm to a spouse or child, parent or sibling. Still capping them at the Platinum is fine, since 1k should be for true flyers.

2. Allow a conversion of expiring feqm toward travel for charities, by allowing, for example, a donation of x feqm toward a free flight for a charity.

3. Allow only Plat and 1k who qualify with actual miles to use unlimited feqm per year toward swu, cr1 and lifetime miles. It makes no sense to penalize customers who actually fly a lot and spend a lot. Isn't that the customer you are after?

It would be great if CO and Chase did a little more market research to see what their customers really would value.

I agree that for the customers who fly less than 75k miles, the card is still a great value.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by 808oman
I am a 1k with real flying and get at least 10,000 feqm every month on PP card business spending, so not too happy about not leaving much value for 75k plus actual flyers who also have high spending on the card.

1. Allow us to route excess feqm to a spouse or child, parent or sibling. Still capping them at the Platinum is fine, since 1k should be for true flyers.

2. Allow a conversion of expiring feqm toward travel for charities, by allowing, for example, a donation of x feqm toward a free flight for a charity.

3. Allow only Plat and 1k who qualify with actual miles to use unlimited feqm per year toward swu, cr1 and lifetime miles. It makes no sense to penalize customers who actually fly a lot and spend a lot. Isn't that the customer you are after?

It would be great if CO and Chase did a little more market research to see what their customers really would value.

I agree that for the customers who fly less than 75k miles, the card is still a great value.

Those all sound like reasonable solutions to me.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:44 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Hertz Gold, Hilton & Avis Gold, Starwood Gold
Using 2011 Flex miles for status upgrades - Problem Fixed?

Is the problem of upgrading to 1K with flex miles for 2011 for 2012 flights now fixed, as predicted?

Originally Posted by Transcon35
Dear UA Insider,

You said above that "Until 2012, there is no cap on the FlexEQMs you can apply" to achieve status (including 1K). This was in response to my question about whether I could use my FlexEQMs in calendar year 2011 to achieve 1K status in 2012. Your promise is also consistent with what Chase is saying and advertising on its site.

Yet I just tried to do exactly that on Continental.com (e.g., apply the additional FEQMs I needed to go from Platinum to 1K), and I got the following message:

"We could not process your request. The OnePass number you entered has already qualified for Platinum Elite status."

Please fix this glitch, and let me know once the glitch is fixed so that I can do as you promised, and apply these FEQMs to get 1K status.

Thanks,

Transcon35

p.s. -- so my fellow FTers know why I am transfering these now, before year-end: I have tons of these FEQMs, more than I will ever be able to use, as I often spend 15-25K a month on this card. I always fly at least 75K a year, so these FEQMs will all soon be just about useless to me, as their usage will be capped to achieving Platinum status starting in 2012, which I fly enough to attain without using FEQMs. I have some long-haul flights coming up on United; I know that if I transfer these FEQMs now to get to 100,000 EQMs in my CO account, my status should match to 1K on United in time for these flights (if it weren't for this glitch in the system preventing me from doing so). And so although I know that by transfering them now, instead of waiting until late December to see exactly how many I would need to get to 100,000/1K for elite year 2012, I will be "wasting" some FEQMs, there's no need for me to save them anyway, since I can't use them anytime in the foreseeable future, and at least by using them now they'll get me some upgrades on some end-of-year long-hauls. Also, by transfering them now, I got to see if the system actually would, as UA Insider promised above, allow me to transfer them, with enough time before the year ends and the policy changes to let them fix the system if it wouldn't!

I just spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the OPSC, and they acknowledged that the policy of allowing unlimited FEQMs transfers until Jan. 1, 2012 (including to achieve 100,000/1K status) was indeed, as UA Insider said, in effect, and that the policy had been handed down by management. To make a long story short (and I'm not sure I'll get all the technical aspects right here...), the person I spoke with, who went back and forth with someone else, said the issue was being fixed right away, was not complicated, that the transfer was "showing" internally, and that they just had to get it to display in my account, and that my 100,000 EQMs should thus show in my account by tomorrow, which will then in turn qualify/match me for 1K (through Jan. 31, 2013) in my linked United account within the week, and that future "FEQM transferees" should not have this issue when trying to get to 100,000 before the Jan. 1 policy change.

We shall see, but I think the issue is fixed.

If not, I will let you all know.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Question United Club membership

How long does it take for United Club membership to arrive after receiving the credit card? How do I access the lounge in the meantime while waiting for my United Club card to arrive?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by 14940674
There is no sign-up bonus, but you can get the annual fee waved for the first year. See this thread (despite what the OP says, it is still a valid offer):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...l-395-fee.html
Do any elites get fee waivers? Originally, I know PPlats were supposed to, and I remember seeing they took that away. However, a few PPlats have referred to their fee waivers, so what's the story? And will that continue next year?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by amartin1979
How long does it take for United Club membership to arrive after receiving the credit card? How do I access the lounge in the meantime while waiting for my United Club card to arrive?
It used to be that it would be about 1-2 weeks you would receive your elite access/club card after being accepted for the cc. Lately, they switched the company producing the access card and they are saying 3-4 weeks, but its more like 4-6 weeks in some cases.
You can still access the United clubs in the meantime, just provide your CO account # and ID and you should not have any problems.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Do any elites get fee waivers? Originally, I know PPlats were supposed to, and I remember seeing they took that away. However, a few PPlats have referred to their fee waivers, so what's the story? And will that continue next year?
The PPlat fee waiver was short lived. Something about a regulatory issue (which I never understood). They charged the $395, but put $400 in our Travel Bank accounts. Since that first year, we've had to pay the full fee. Some cardholders have reported calling and threatening to cancel the card to get a free/reduced renewal fee, but I haven't tried it myself.

I also would like to see something done with the boatload of (unuseable) FEQM's I have so I can use them.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)

Two questions...

I don't fly that much, but as Newark is my base, I definitely feel it is worth keeping the PPlus card. Since I always have to check my bag, just having to avoid the HUGE general check-in lines and go to the Priority Access one (with usually only one or two in front of me) makes it worth it on that level.

And they say that PPlus cardholders will have full Priority Access at PMUA locations by March 2012. At the very least, you do get free bags right now (or I did back in August, but that was booking through CO).

Originally Posted by 14940674
Here are the comparable competitor cards:

Delta Reserve AMEX Card:

Highlights:
  • Sky Club Access
  • 10,000 MQMs after first purchase, 15,000 after $30,000 spend, and 15,000 more after $60,000 spend
  • First Bag Free
  • 20% In-Flight Purchase Savings
  • Companion Flight Certificate
  • $450 Annual Fee

I still see the Presidential Plus as the best bet. You gain access to a larger lounge network, and it is cheaper ($395).
I don't know much as the AA card, but the PPlus does beat the Delta Reserve on a couple of points:

1. Double miles on all hotels and car rentals with PPlus. (A benefit I really like, even more than FEQMs. I only need the PPlus card to get extra points instead of all the hotel cards to do the same.)
2. Lounge Access. Delta Reserve only gives you access to Delta's Sky Clubs, and not the entire network of Sky Team (at least according to the Delta website). PPlus gives you access to the full network of *A member lounges. Also (and I found out about this reading a thread on the Delta section), you have to pay $25 for Sky Club access if you are NOT flying DL. I was surprised by this but go take a look. Reversing erroneous Skyclub charge
3. Full Priority Access with PPlus. All you get is Priority Boarding with Delta.
4. Two free bags with PPlus vs. one with Delta.

+1 that the PPlus card is abetter value than Delta Reserve.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: United MP (Platinum), AS (75K), AA (GM)
As of the end of October, I have had no problems getting the PP Card benefits on UA Operated flights (free bags, elite security line, zone 1 boarding). I make sure my Continental OP number is on the reservation before check-in. My flights were out of DCA and ORD.

My UA and CO numbers are linked but I don't think that makes a difference (as I'm using my CO number).

Last edited by tj722; Nov 17, 2011 at 7:59 am
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:15 am

My Presidential Plus Card membership also gives me special AVIS Preferential benefits that include double-upgrade on car rental.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by 808oman

These are great suggestions. But it doesn't take a market research survey to figure out that when you place restrictions on benefits which ONLY affect your highest value flyers, you are making a bad decision.

I think that some FEQM's should be allowed to be applied for 1K status, but a very limited number (i.e. no more than 5K per year, or 10K every other year, at most). If you fly 97K miles, I see no reason why you should not be able to apply 3K FEQM's to top it off to 1K. On the other hand, if you only fly 85K EQM's, you should have to work a bit harder if you want 1K status.

I think that my biggest complaint is that not only are they worthless after 75K, but they expire, too. Those of us who fly 75K+ should be able to convert our excess FEQM's into non-expiring FEQM's, to bank for our "off years."
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
The PPlat fee waiver was short lived. Something about a regulatory issue (which I never understood). They charged the $395, but put $400 in our Travel Bank accounts. Since that first year, we've had to pay the full fee. Some cardholders have reported calling and threatening to cancel the card to get a free/reduced renewal fee, but I haven't tried it myself.

I also would like to see something done with the boatload of (unuseable) FEQM's I have so I can use them.
Has anyone been successful? So now, you have to pay the regular $395 fee, and that's it? No statement credit even?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.