Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:39 pm
  #766  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: TPA 50%/BKK 30%/HKG 20%
Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by electroflyer
Based on having a chase pplus card?
I suppose so... I never bought a membership separately. I told them I left my card at home and they took my ID and looked me up in the computer.
TomA is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2011, 2:33 pm
  #767  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Programs: CO (now UA) 1K / Hyatt Platinum / UMPPPC / SLH Honoured
Posts: 108
Originally Posted by TomA
I suppose so... I never bought a membership separately. I told them I left my card at home and they took my ID and looked me up in the computer.
That's good to know. My experiences were in the first few months after receiving the card, so maybe I wasn't fully in their system yet.
electroflyer is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:27 pm
  #768  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Posts: 3,157
Received my card today

Got the card today. After receiving the AAdvantage Executive MC and Amex PLT, I can say this... CO and Chase have a LOOOONG way to go in presentation. For a card with a $395 annual fee (thankfully mine was waived), getting it in the regular ole' white envelope is a pretty big let down.

Anyway, funny looking card. I actually thought they screwed it up. The card number, exp. date and MC symbol are on the back below the signature line. The front of the card just looks like some membership card.

When I called to activate the card, the Chase CSR told me they were doing this so vendors would actually check signatures more often. Seems like a pretty good idea. I guess they are sick of all the fraud claims out there.
econometrics is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:30 pm
  #769  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, TX and Aspen, CO
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 226
Originally Posted by econometrics
Got the card today. After receiving the AAdvantage Executive MC and Amex PLT, I can say this... CO and Chase have a LOOOONG way to go in presentation. For a card with a $395 annual fee (thankfully mine was waived), getting it in the regular ole' white envelope is a pretty big let down.

Anyway, funny looking card. I actually thought they screwed it up. The card number, exp. date and MC symbol are on the back below the signature line. The front of the card just looks like some membership card.

When I called to activate the card, the Chase CSR told me they were doing this so vendors would actually check signatures more often. Seems like a pretty good idea. I guess they are sick of all the fraud claims out there.
Really? Who gives a damn what the card looks like and what lame gold lame package they send it to you in? C'mon .. FEQMs are what it's all about.

AA is going out of business anyway, remember.
rgrunnah is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:31 pm
  #770  
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: JRA
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 6,716
How long after getting the PP card in the mail does it take to get the PC membership card in the mail? Is there any way to verify my PC membership (and expiration date) online, like with an RCC membership?
EsquireFlyer is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:33 pm
  #771  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, TX and Aspen, CO
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 226
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
How long after getting the PP card in the mail does it take to get the PC membership card in the mail? Is there any way to verify my PC membership (and expiration date) online, like with an RCC membership?
Took about a month to get my PC card in the mail.

YES, I needed access to a club before it arrived, and the desk agent looked me up and let me in.
rgrunnah is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:49 pm
  #772  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: JZRO
Posts: 9,172
Originally Posted by econometrics
... CO and Chase have a LOOOONG way to go in presentation. ...getting it in the regular ole' white envelope is a pretty big let down.
Do you think maybe Chase wanted your card to go through the mail inconspicuously?
RNE is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:53 pm
  #773  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Posts: 5,485
It took about 6 weeks for me to get the UA Club card. Way too long. I previously got a printout showing my PC/UA Club membership to get into US clubs (no prob. PHL term F, DCA took a bit). About a month ago I was almost refused entrance to the IAD C?? club (this after using several ORD clubs with no problem).

Originally Posted by econometrics
Anyway, funny looking card. I actually thought they screwed it up. The card number, exp. date and MC symbol are on the back below the signature line. The front of the card just looks like some membership card.
The design would be a problem when using the card when the vendor uses an old carbon copy slide thingy.

My card looks like that too, as did Mrs. ralfp's (secondary on the acct). However, they messed up her name, so I requested a replacement. Her replacement card looks just like the OnePass Plus card, but with a slightly different color. Much better looking than mine (IMO).

If the new look is for security, why would replacement cards revert to the standard design?
ralfp is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:58 pm
  #774  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Posts: 3,157
Originally Posted by rgrunnah
Really? Who gives a damn what the card looks like and what lame gold lame package they send it to you in? C'mon .. FEQMs are what it's all about.

AA is going out of business anyway, remember.
I'm not losing sleep over the presentation of the card, I'm just noting that for a $400 fee, you'd expect them to go a little more out of their way.

And yes, AA is going out of business... just like UA was.

Originally Posted by RNE
Do you think maybe Chase wanted your card to go through the mail inconspicuously?
My AA card came in a plain cardboard box UPS 2nd day air. I doubt anyone would have thought it was a highly coveted airline credit card.

Originally Posted by ralfp
If the new look is for security, why would replacement cards revert to the standard design?
Yeah, that's pretty strange.
econometrics is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:59 pm
  #775  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: TPA 50%/BKK 30%/HKG 20%
Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by econometrics
Got the card today. After receiving the AAdvantage Executive MC and Amex PLT, I can say this... CO and Chase have a LOOOONG way to go in presentation. For a card with a $395 annual fee (thankfully mine was waived), getting it in the regular ole' white envelope is a pretty big let down.

Anyway, funny looking card. I actually thought they screwed it up. The card number, exp. date and MC symbol are on the back below the signature line. The front of the card just looks like some membership card.

When I called to activate the card, the Chase CSR told me they were doing this so vendors would actually check signatures more often. Seems like a pretty good idea. I guess they are sick of all the fraud claims out there.
You'll get the box with the goodies later.

I just wish they would imprint the numbers deeper. They are too hard to read.
TomA is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:10 pm
  #776  
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: JRA
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 6,716
Originally Posted by econometrics
CO and Chase have a LOOOONG way to go in presentation. For a card with a $395 annual fee (thankfully mine was waived), getting it in the regular ole' white envelope is a pretty big let down.
Regular white envelope is for security purposes, I believe (to prevent mail interception).

Don't worry. In a few more days, you will receive a fancy blue box from Chase, containing a thin membership handbook and a thick book of hotel advertising. The contents are not particularly useful, but the presentation is very nice.
EsquireFlyer is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:12 pm
  #777  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Posts: 3,157
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Regular white envelope is for security purposes, I believe (to prevent mail interception).

Don't worry. In a few more days, you will receive a fancy blue box from Chase, containing a thin membership handbook and a thick book of hotel advertising. The contents are not particularly useful, but the presentation is very nice.
Ha, thanks. I love the SWAG.
econometrics is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:16 pm
  #778  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, TX and Aspen, CO
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 226
Red face

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Regular white envelope is for security purposes, I believe (to prevent mail interception).

Don't worry. In a few more days, you will receive a fancy blue box from Chase, containing a thin membership handbook and a thick book of hotel advertising. The contents are not particularly useful, but the presentation is very nice.
All of that said - I totally agree that AMEX Platinum's presentation with their "goodie box" was 10 times better than Chase's PP card's goodie box.

Chase's looked more like an afterthought; something one of the marketing interns needed to throw together so that it looked somewhat competitive with AMEX's product.

Given how Chase is just now gunning for the affluent AMEX Platinum customer, however, you've got to give them slack. AMEX has been doing the Platinum for decades and has it down pat.

Chase wanted to have a competing luxury hotels product, so they do this "Leading Hotels and Resorts" deal, but their website is so half-assed to be completely unusable: http://explorelhrcollection.com/

Try to book Wynn in Las Vegas for giggles, and you will laugh at the process you have to go through (which - Las Vegas, folks, did you mean the one in Minnesota, or perhaps Ohio? - seriously!) ...

I'd rather a multi-billion dollar bank like Chase spend a few hundred thousand dollars building a "serious" website for such a major perk like the hotels than throw it off on an intern.
rgrunnah is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:25 pm
  #779  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Posts: 14,520
Originally Posted by rgrunnah
I'd rather a multi-billion dollar bank like Chase spend a few hundred thousand dollars building a "serious" website for such a major perk like the hotels than throw it off on an intern.
The hotel benefit is through a third-party, not sure you can entirely blame Chase.

But never being one to cut Chase any slack, they generally do suck at pretty much everything. This is the bank that, up until about two years ago, thought it was perfectly reasonable to conduct "routine website maintenance" during regular business hours.

The words premium and Chase don't go together, unless you insert they words "they charge you" somewhere in there.
belynch is offline  
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:08 pm
  #780  
uwr
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Posts: 850
Originally Posted by econometrics
Got the card today. After receiving the AAdvantage Executive MC and Amex PLT, I can say this... CO and Chase have a LOOOONG way to go in presentation. For a card with a $395 annual fee (thankfully mine was waived), getting it in the regular ole' white envelope is a pretty big let down.

Anyway, funny looking card. I actually thought they screwed it up. The card number, exp. date and MC symbol are on the back below the signature line. The front of the card just looks like some membership card.

When I called to activate the card, the Chase CSR told me they were doing this so vendors would actually check signatures more often. Seems like a pretty good idea. I guess they are sick of all the fraud claims out there.
I agree that the box of "goodies" is presented nicely but is useless.

I received the standard style card about a month ago, and two days I received the new style card with the same number and the same security number on the back. I had to cut up the old cards into small pieces and discard them into different trash cans.

The CSR told me that the new design is for security.

The new card still says "Continental." I don't know why they didn't wait until the card had the "United" name on it.

The new card is similar in design to the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which has been praised (though the Pres Plus card is plastic, unlike the metal Sapphire).
uwr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.