Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:40 pm
  #676  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Posts: 52,247
Originally Posted by trm2
I do frequent a place that takes MasterCard, but not Visa.
And there are places that take Visa and not MC as well. Even though it's rare, that's why it pays to have both.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:27 am
  #677  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: WAS
Programs: BA Gold, HH
Posts: 680
Originally Posted by uwr
Believe it or not, the Washington State government takes Mastercard but not Visa.
what is even more mind boggling to me is that my daughter's college takes both Mastercard and AMex but NOT Visa. it is the first time i have ever run into that situation. usually it is the Amex that is not taken.
Blue Skye is offline  
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:43 am
  #678  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CO hublette
Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,286
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And there are places that take Visa and not MC as well. Even though it's rare, that's why it pays to have both.
Oh, you are right, and I have both (well, AMEX and Discover also), but if the PPMC changes to a PPV, it looses a lot of utility for me.
trm2 is online now  
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:52 am
  #679  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NOVA
Programs: AA LT GLD, UA SLV, MR LT PLT PRM, HH DIA, IHG PLT, SW CP, MVCI CHM LVL, HERTZ PC, National EE
Posts: 151
My son's college in Va takes only MC and AMEX as well.
o2bonn is offline  
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:18 am
  #680  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: WAS
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Posts: 1,334
Originally Posted by o2bonn
My son's college in Va takes only MC and AMEX as well.
Sounds like a quick way to get a lot of EQMs
Say Vandelay is offline  
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:40 am
  #681  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Jersey Shore
Programs: UA 1MM, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Yfirst gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Plat.
Posts: 309
[/quote]Lounge access is the only real benefit left for the Presidential Plus card. It is sad but all good things must come to an end.[/QUOTE]

This did not just come to an end, it came to a fiery crashing smash up. upsetting a whole lot of big spending loyal customers who fly a lot! oops I meant to say I agree with you

Last edited by Xyzzy; Oct 19, 2011 at 3:14 pm Reason: Fixed UBB code
infomark is offline  
Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:14 pm
  #682  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 35,701
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Sounds like a quick way to get a lot of EQMs
Do these schools offer any sort f discount for cash? The transaction fees they pay must be huge.
Xyzzy is offline  
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:18 pm
  #683  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: WAS
Programs: BA Gold, HH
Posts: 680
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Do these schools offer any sort f discount for cash? The transaction fees they pay must be huge.
no discount for cash AND they charge a stupid fee for the privilege of accepting credit cards. however, since i still get miles out of the transactions, i am okay with that.
Blue Skye is offline  
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:24 pm
  #684  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Posts: 833
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
no discount for cash AND they charge a stupid fee for the privilege of accepting credit cards. however, since i still get miles out of the transactions, i am okay with that.
Isn't a fee for CC use basically the same as discount for cash? As for being worthwhile, I guess it depends how many % the fee is since that translates directly into buying miles.
paranoiatx is offline  
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:46 pm
  #685  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SEA or BGR, Lower Earth Orbit
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 17,220
Originally Posted by paranoiatx
Isn't a fee for CC use basically the same as discount for cash? As for being worthwhile, I guess it depends how many % the fee is since that translates directly into buying miles.
No. If an item is listed as for sale for the price of X. And you pay with a credit card, or a cheque and the price is still X, there is no discount. If the price is X-n if you pay with cash then there is a discount.

In the cases listed above, there is a X+n% surcharge on the purchase, since the cash price is not lower than X.
WIRunner is offline  
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:35 pm
  #686  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: JZRO
Posts: 9,172
Something Good that Didn't Change

From my current Presidential Plus card statement:

We hope you enjoy all the benefits your card has to offer and we appreciate your business. Your annual membership fee in the
amount of $375.00 will be billed on 12/01/2011.
Chase is (again) keeping my annual fee at $375 (which is what it was when I first applied for the card) not bringing it up to the current rate of $395.

RNE, admitting, "Twenty bucks isn't much, but this 'transactor' appreciates the largesse nonetheless." ^
RNE is offline  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 4:26 am
  #687  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CO hublette
Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,286
Originally Posted by RNE
From my current Presidential Plus card statement:

We hope you enjoy all the benefits your card has to offer and we appreciate your business. Your annual membership fee in the amount of $375.00 will be billed on 12/01/2011.

Chase is (again) keeping my annual fee at $375 (which is what it was when I first applied for the card) not bringing it up to the current rate of $395.

RNE, admitting, "Twenty bucks isn't much, but this 'transactor' appreciates the largesse nonetheless." ^
I got the exact same message (even the date).
trm2 is online now  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:17 am
  #688  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: JZRO
Posts: 9,172
Originally Posted by trm2
I got the exact same message (even the date).
Wait! This astronomical coincidence can mean only one thing! You, my dear fellow, are my long lost brother Ruprecht!
RNE is offline  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:37 am
  #689  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CO hublette
Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,286
Originally Posted by RNE
Wait! This astronomical coincidence can mean only one thing! You, my dear fellow, are my long lost brother Ruprecht!
Navin, is that you?

Nah, I was just looking at YOUR statement. (you seem to spend a lot at the jiggly wiggly)
trm2 is online now  
Old Oct 22, 2011, 4:01 pm
  #690  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Providence, RI
Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
Posts: 440
Apologies if this has been answered before but... I'm a current United Red Carpet Club member (expires 4/2012) that I originally purchased with UA miles. Recently applied for and got approved for the Continental Presidential Plus CC which will give me a one year United Club membership. Am I eligible for a pro-rated refund of my remaining 1/2 year or so UA Red Carpet Club membership? If so will that refund come in miles since that's the way I purchased it? How does one go about getting a pro-rated refund in cases like this? Thanks.
KevinInRI is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.