Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by wpr8e
I'm sitting at 120K EQM (flown) right now and I might reach 150K for the year. I have 25k FEQM in the bank.

I was originally going to leave the FEQM in the bank if for some reason I don't achieve the top tier in the future. However, with the expiration after 3 years, the decision is more challenging. I also don't forecast less that 1K EQM over the next three years

a) Do I convert the FEQM in 2011 and snag the additional SWU and CR-1s (I think that's allowed in the 2011 plan).

b) Or would you keep them in the bank and risk losing them? Have they made an announcement if they will allow conversion to regular FF miles or just EQMs?

Thanks
FYI -- The FEQM that you earn in 2011 will not expire! Only FEQM earned in 2012 onwards. However, the FEQM cannot be applied higher than Platinum in 2012 (so if you apply 75K FEQM in 2012, then you must actually fly 100K BIS EQM to earn 1K).
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by edcho
Based on what UA Insider stated, it seems like this will be the policy for the Continental card as well as the new combined card that will come within the next few months.
And the reason this question is still being asked is that her answer can be interpreted in different ways. It is NOT clear. What UAInsider needs to do is post a SPECIFIC rendition of what this rule will be - with examples. Such as flat out state that "If you want 1K, any miles you used to reach 75K (Plat )will not count in your total PQM", or "After reaching 75K with some FPQM's, you must accrue 25K PQM's with no FPQM's in that number". I am hoping that the silence from her on these postings is due to some rethinking of this strategy by UACO.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:44 am

When they convert to a United Card, will be a Visa Card or continue as a MasterCard?

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 17, 2011 at 12:08 pm Reason: removed quote for easier reading
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by edcho
FYI -- The FEQM that you earn in 2011 will not expire! Only FEQM earned in 2012 onwards. However, the FEQM cannot be applied higher than Platinum in 2012 (so if you apply 75K FEQM in 2012, then you must actually fly 100K BIS EQM to earn 1K).
Thanks.

In this case it probably makes sense to sit on them. But then again, if I fly 100k over the next 'x' years, these FEQMs have no value under the current program versus the instant gratification of snagging some more SWUs for 2012 (assuming I can use them).
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by SteveT
When they convert to a United Card, will be a Visa Card or continue as a MasterCard?
I'm hoping MC
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Renard
I'm hoping MC
+1
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Renard
I'm hoping MC
+2. With all the changes, switching to Visa would be the one thing that would make me cancel.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by trm2
+2. With all the changes, switching to Visa would be the one thing that would make me cancel.
Why? In the US at least, the tw are virtually indistinguishable.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:54 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Aloha1
And the reason this question is still being asked is that her answer can be interpreted in different ways. It is NOT clear. What UAInsider needs to do is post a SPECIFIC rendition of what this rule will be - with examples. Such as flat out state that "If you want 1K, any miles you used to reach 75K (Plat )will not count in your total PQM", or "After reaching 75K with some FPQM's, you must accrue 25K PQM's with no FPQM's in that number". I am hoping that the silence from her on these postings is due to some rethinking of this strategy by UACO.
Unfortunately, it IS clear, except to people who don't want to believe what has been stated.

UAInsider has already confirmed this rule with SPECIFIC examples at least twice:

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone, here are answers to some of the questions that have asked (finally, I know). . . .

Originally Posted by jmr50
So, clarification on the use of FEQMs:

Let's say I've got 20k of FEQM. December 30th, I've got 150k EQM, so I can't use them... but January 1st, I have 0 EQM. Can I now put the 20k of FEQM into my empty account and then fly 80k and have 1K?
Hi jmr50, in this scenario, you could put 20K of Flex EQMs into your empty account and then fly any number of miles to reach incremental statuses up to 75K. Once at 75K, you won't be able to add Flex EQMs and flown EQMs together to get to a higher tier. In 2012 we’ll begin showing EQMs earned via flights separately from EQMs deposited from the conversion of Flex EQMs.

Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
Exactly. I'm guessing the rollover to or requal for 1K doesn't happen until 100K real EQMs are in the bank. You could have 105K EQMS and still be a plat if 10K of those are from the card.
Hi PSU Mudder, this is correct.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:06 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Unfortunately, it IS clear, except to people who don't want to believe what has been stated.

UAInsider has already confirmed this rule with SPECIFIC examples at least twice:
+1
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I am lazy and don't want to change my autopays to a new account number. Maybe I'll get grandfathered. Ya know like all those CO Visa cards from years ago before they changed to Mastercards.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I am lazy and don't want to change my autopays to a new account number. Maybe I'll get grandfathered. Ya know like all those CO Visa cards from years ago before they changed to Mastercards.
kay -- so you don't want your account number chnaged. You don't care at all whether the logo on the card is Mastercard or Visa. I can certainly understand that.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer

College Flyer, thanks for the collection of the UAInsider posts. The FEQMs worth very little after Jan 1, 2012 because:

1. FPQM are useless for people targeting 1K status.
2. FPQM no longer counts toward lifetime mile status.

Lounge access is the only real benefit left for the Presidential Plus card. It is sad but all good things must come to an end.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
It is the virtually part. I do frequent a place that takes MasterCard, but not Visa. Yes, in the US.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:14 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by trm2
It is the virtually part. I do frequent a place that takes MasterCard, but not Visa. Yes, in the US.
Believe it or not, the Washington State government takes Mastercard but not Visa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.