Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Oct 5, 2011, 6:41 pm

i meant a joint UAL/CO card.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 6:51 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by playsccr
i meant a joint UAL/CO card.
The CO-branded Presidential Plus card will morph into a UA-branded card at some time. I speculate that we'll know what will become of the card before the end of this year (others aren't so sure), but the changes themselves may not take effect until after the new year.

RNE, adding ruefully, "The downgrade trend at UA doesn't bode well."
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by RNE
The CO-branded Presidential Plus card will morph into a UA-branded card at some time. I speculate that we'll know what will become of the card before the end of this year (others aren't so sure), but the changes themselves may not take effect until after the new year.

RNE, adding ruefully, "The downgrade trend at UA doesn't bode well."
i may just bite the bullet... i like the ability to buy E+ on domestics which doesn't come with AA... and the AA Elite card is already far less impressive than this one (no 2x miles on car/hotel, no car/hotel status, no baggage priority, only 1 bag, needing 40K spend for EQMs, bigger fee)... even if there's a downgrade, i'd hope it won't be that severe..!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:10 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by xerenthar
i may just bite the bullet... i like the ability to buy E+ on domestics which doesn't come with AA... and the AA Elite card is already far less impressive than this one (no 2x miles on car/hotel, no car/hotel status, no baggage priority, only 1 bag, needing 40K spend for EQMs, bigger fee)... even if there's a downgrade, i'd hope it won't be that severe..!
If your travel is at the "Bronze Premier" level (let's say 10,000-15,000 miles/year or so; about a dozen segments), then the Presidential Plus credit card is very handy because it provides many of the elite access benefits real Premiers enjoy, and Club Membership they don't. Moreover, as you note, buying E+ for a few flights a year isn't such a big expense. Meanwhile, 2Ps sit in back.

RNE, realizing, "The perp walk for 2Ps is now through E+, not just FC. Poor suckers."
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: CO Plat, PPlus
Well, Chase lucked out with me so far - AMEX's incompetence in simply getting a card to me has turned me back to the PPlus for now.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
If your travel is at the "Bronze Premier" level (let's say 10,000-15,000 miles/year or so; about a dozen segments), then the Presidential Plus credit card is very handy because it provides many of the elite access benefits real Premiers enjoy, and Club Membership they don't. Moreover, as you note, buying E+ for a few flights a year isn't such a big expense. Meanwhile, 2Ps sit in back.

RNE, realizing, "The perp walk for 2Ps is now through E+, not just FC. Poor suckers."
this is pretty much spot-on. i'd say the fewest segments i'd travel in a year is 8, with a dozen being more likely. i'm never going to have status on any airline to upgrade with any regularity, preferring to hoard miles for J/F travel internationally, so E+ is the difference of whether i will be able to sit in relative comfort for 2 hours or not.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by detony
I was in the president's club the last weekend the AmexPlat would get me in and was given these offers to apply for the PP card. The card offers access to the United Club (based on comments in FT, does not sound that special) with the 395 fee waived. I am in need of a club so this is appealing to me.

I suppose most in this forum have the card and would not be able to use such an offer (not to mention, I think you had to walk thru the Pres Club around 9/30/11).

But wondering if anyone else got their hands on this glossy piece and plans apply for the card? If I can get me and a guest in to the United Club (and save $500), it seems like an easy decision for the next year while I figure out how much I like the new United and United Club (having been just a CO silver and PresClub mooch via my Amex Plat card).
Long time lurker here. I recently relocated to Houston and switching to UA and plan to get this card for the benefits (although I wish many weren't changing).

Anyone happen to have one of these fliers that coud PM me the redemption code of the waived first year fee if they aren't going to us it? Thanks!!!

Rob
Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:20 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by xerenthar

Originally Posted by robtown

Anyone happen to have one of these fliers that coud PM me the redemption code of the waived first year fee if they aren't going to us it? Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by shanshan
~2 months ago I was at EWR lounge where they were handing out invitation codes for the Chase Presidential Plus card for 1st year waived fee (no bonus miles). I snagged an extra code and want to give it out to someone.. so first come first served:

apply at presidentialplus.com/vip
code: DFM5URF52N7

Must apply by 10/15/2011

* Full United Club membership
* Premier Access travel services
* 1st & 2nd checked bags free
* Flex EQM
* No FX
* 2x points on CO flights
* 1x regular points
etc etc

On a different thread on FT (see thread on CO Pre-merger "Presidential Plus waived 1st annual $395 fee"), shanshan posted this info:
apply at www.presidentialplus.com/vip
CODE: DFM5URF52N7
EXPIRES Oct 15.

Before that thread was started, I applied about 10 days ago with an offer of only a $95 statement credit. I got approved at the end of last week, but before I received the card, I saw shanshan's post and called and emailed Chase customer service with the offer code. They approved me this morning (Thursday) for an additional $300 statement credit, so I will get my $395 back.

If you use the code, you should get a waiver of the $395 fee.
At least other one person has used the code, but I just checked it on the presidentialplus.com/vip website, and it still seems to be valid.

Please post here whether you have been approved using the code.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:02 am

Programs: UA-1K; DL-1MM; SPG-P75; Marriot-P
I just got the PP-CC. As a fresh DL transplant it made good sense to me. This year I am building up miles and status on SAS, which I have to fly for work. I will take the 1K challenge come January 2012. Until then I try to make my no/low status flying as pleasant as I can. Being a DL DM I got used to lounge in lounges. That is a plus of the card for me. The FlexEQM will help to build the "real" 1K. And a second free bag is a plus to. The combination is $300 worth to me.

Once *A Gold on SAS or matching UA 1K, the equation is less favorable. Not sure if I will rake up $395 in international spending fees on a personal card. But the Flex EQM and 25% mileage bonus might still make it worth while.

But what do I do with my DL Amex Reserve now???
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by AM-PM-DM
The FlexEQM will help to build the "real" 1K.
But the Flex EQM and 25% mileage bonus might still make it worth while.

But what do I do with my DL Amex Reserve now???
You may wish to keep that Amex card. Starting in 2012, FlexEQM will NT be able to be applied toward 1K status. Also, starting in Q1 2012, the 25% RDM bonus from this card is going away. This information is detailed here under "Benefit Changes."

Last edited by Xyzzy; Oct 7, 2011 at 6:17 am
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:06 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
You may wish to keep that Amex card. Starting in 2012, FlexEQM will NT be able to be applied toward 1K status. Also, starting in Q1 2012, the 25% RDM bonus from this card is going away.
That's a splash of cold water on a frosty fall morn, my friend.

RNE, lamenting, "But all too true."
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:08 am

just used the code to apply. this'll be my 4th card with chase, and i'd certainly like the explorer card for the 40K free miles... i'd be okay with cancelling one and shifting credit lines around. wonder if i can apply for the UN so close to CO...
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA-1K; DL-1MM; SPG-P75; Marriot-P
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
You may wish to keep that Amex card. Starting in 2012, FlexEQM will NT be able to be applied toward 1K status. Also, starting in Q1 2012, the 25% RDM bonus from this card is going away. This information is detailed here under "Benefit Changes."
Ouchhh. I am indeed the master of bad timing.

That said, it is my understanding that you still can use the FlexEQM to get to Platinum. Only the last 25K EQM from Platinum to 1K you have to do BIS. Did I understand that wrong?

And let's hope that "sometime in Q1 means March", as things tend to move slow. But yes, I am a realist, things move slow on the handing out benefits, taking away is usually done at breakneck pace.

As to keeping the DL AR. True, as a DM I have better upgrade chances on DL than as a 1K on UA/CO. However, I get tired of connecting with DL ex EWR and JFK adds at least an hour to my travel time.

The next year will show where the pieces will fall for me.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:46 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by AM-PM-DM
That said, it is my understanding that you still can use the FlexEQM to get to Platinum. Only the last 25K EQM from Platinum to 1K you have to do BIS. Did I understand that wrong?
Yes, you understand that wrong. To reach 1K, no portion of the 100,000 EQMs can be composed of FEQMs.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:50 pm

Is there an offer for a free first year for a PP Business Card?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.