Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Presidential Plus Card Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by fragment54
I don't see this? Speculation or are you getting it from the wording of the "enhancements" currently used?
Like I said, "I'm guessing" and "this assumes"
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
UAInsider --

Can you please give further insight into how this restriction will be applied? Is it simply a restriction of the number of FEQMs you can transfer per year (75K) or if you transfer 75K at the beginning of the year and then start traveling more than you thought, you would have those FEQMs returned?

The latter would be a disincentive to continue flying United for parts of the year.

Please explain how this will be implemented.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
So if I typically fly 75K per year, do I need to apply 25K of my flex miles first thing next year and then fly the 75 K in order to hit 100K? It is not that hard to game this system: just use your miles before you accrue the 75 K number. For someone that hardly flies but spends a lot of $$, you can apply 74 K of flex miles early in the year and fly 26 K miles to reach 100K
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, AS GM, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mdjtlj

This is a serious devaluation of any benefit that this card had. I'm going to stick with my AMEX plat and suck up the lounge fee (less the $200 credit from AMEX).
Has this been confirmed to actually work? It's my understanding that the credit only applies to day passes, though I realize it's all in the coding.

If so, this certainly would cause me to reconsider the PP card.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by av8r316
Has this been confirmed to actually work? It's my understanding that the credit only applies to day passes, though I realize it's all in the coding.

If so, this certainly would cause me to reconsider the PP card.
I think he meant "suck up the lounge fee" meaning he's going to bite the bullet and pay out of pocket. I didn't infer that he meant the $200 airline credit would cover that (which it doesn't).
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by UA Insider
[*]Book reward seats close to your departure date without a fee. Spur-of-the-moment travel plans? No problem. Effective sometime in Q1 2012, we’ll waive the fee for booking reward tickets 21 days or less prior to departure. This benefit is reserved only for Cardmembers and certain Elite levels.
Will this benefit also waive the fee for close-in (<21 days) changes to reward tickets?

And what about the fee for not-simple changes to reward tickets?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
As someone who has been flying over 75K for the past 3 years, and holds a lifetime PC membership (which now I am in fear will also become worthless), this card no longer holds any value for me. I already get half of the benefits from all the flying I do, and the other half I either have no use for, or could get the same or similar benefits from another credit card.

I now have a 4-month window before my annual fee kicks in to examine alternate credit card options before canceling this card. UA has in effect told their 75K and above flyers (the ones who probably earn the most FEQM's) to go pound sand. I guess some people are more special than others, because they can actually use the benefits they have earned.

Here's another thought for those of you who spend big: Fly just enough to qualify for Platinum with your earned InFlexible EQM's (IFEQM's) + flown miles, and then for the balance of your travel fly another airline.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Book any seat, any time, on any flight. If seats are available for sale, they can be redeemed at the EasyPass (or equivalent) reward level.
Hate to potentially be too literal, but the way I read this I would think that it's available for any flight on any redeemable airline. Correct?

Or is this a benefit only for UA/CO (and outsourced partner) operated flights?

I too will add that as a top-tier elite the FlexEQM changes are a deal-breaker for me as it makes the ROI completely upside down. Since you're neutering the card for top-tiers, maybe an annual fee price break is in order to help us rationalize that we're paying for 90% of the benefits that we already receive gratis anyway?

UA, say, buh-bye to this extra ancillary revenue from this elite.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: United Platinum
just an observation

Chase is eliminating the 25% bonus for Presidential Plus cardholders; they are also eliminating the double miles for shop onepass. I'm speculating, but it seems like Chase either 1) couldn't make a deal with United on how much they would pay for miles outside of the normal credit card ones, or 2) doesn't think that either set of bonus miles were a motivating factor for customers to carry and use the card

as for me, since i'm elite every year any way, the 25% RDM was one of my primary reasons for carrying the card. I also spent a lot via shop onepass because of the double miles.

These changes are making me seriously consider canceling the card. Between now and when my annual fee is up in December I'm going to be on the lookout for an AMEX Platinum sign up offer.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1k; Hyatt Plat; SPG Gold; Avis PC Preferred; Priority Pass Select; AMEX Platinum
I also have both the PP and Amex Plat. card, i have been moving more and more of my spend over the PP card, (last month spent nearly 10k on my card).
I will reconsider moving everything back to my platinum account- im more concerned about the 25% rdm bonus loss, as i typically dont fly more than 75k unless they come down on the fees.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
When this card came out it was pretty simple to dump Amex plat and go with it. Now I'm not so sure. The loss of the 25% bonus is huge.

Sure, two free bags, but who cares when plat gets 3. The Mileage Plus Explorer gets two club passes per year and there is always the meet up thread.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:27 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Hi edcho, the information regarding the cap in Flex Elite Qualification Miles (Flex EQMs) is incorrect. There is no limit on the numbe of Flex EQMs that Cardmembers can earn. The information on the website will be corrected soon.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights & Metrics
United Airlines
I hope this is true. Adding a limit would be showstopper for me. If there is no limit, I will apply for this card.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by trm2
When this card came out it was pretty simple to dump Amex plat and go with it. Now I'm not so sure. The loss of the 25% bonus is huge.

Sure, two free bags, but who cares when plat gets 3. The Mileage Plus Explorer gets two club passes per year and there is always the meet up thread.
+1

The loss of the 25% RDM bonus doesn't leave much left for elites. I called to voice my concern to Chase earlier this year about this rumor and now that its true, I think I may just drop the card. Bad move UACO/Chase.

Now what are the odds on when the RDM bonus will be back after Chase sees cards cancelled.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:40 am

Have been contemplating getting the card for a while now and have nearly pulled the trigger many a times. Now that there's no bonus RDM's and EQM limits are in place, absolutely no reason for me to consider this card.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Flex Elite Qualification Miles (Flex EQMs) will have an expiration date. Flex EQMs earned after January 1, 2012 will expire 39 months after they are deposited. Specifically, Flex EQMs earned beginning after this date can be used at any time during the calendar year in which they were earned, plus three additional calendar years, and will then expire if not redeemed. Flex EQMs earned prior to January 1, 2012, will continue to have no expiration date.
One more quick question that it would be great to have clarification on:

Assuming UA doesn't backtrack on the new FlexEQM expiration policy, will there be a running tally of what points expire when? As someone who churns through about $5,000/month in purchases on this card this is fixin' to get really complex really quickly if I have to keep track of when FlexEQM miles might expire if they were originally posted 3+ years previously (not to mention accounting for which miles are grandfathered and which aren't).

Of course this is all moot seeing as I'll be canceling the card if the current changes stick, but I'm sure it's a relevant question for others.

Question for the other existing account holders: have ya'll noticed a dramatic drop-off in the quality of the Chase representatives assigned to handle calls associated with this card? Previously it seemed like they were being routed to a better call center. Lately it's just been the general "retail card services" folks picking-up the phone who are really hit or miss. Am I just continually losing phone-center roulette or this is a constant for others?

I guess I'm naive to think that a card that has a ~$400 annual fee attached to it should have a modicum of better customer service than a free Chase card.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
Like I said, "I'm guessing" and "this assumes"
Didn't mean to come off as attacking you, I'm really frustrated with this as well. I was hoping it wasn't something you were directly told (since that would make it a fact about a "change you'll like").

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.