Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by edcho
There is no mention of any credit card waivers for the new award fee changes.

http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...ticketing.aspx
According to this URL:
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

There are still no fees on close in award travel. I have seen this happen where the credit card was charged; however, I called back in and they reversed the charges ... So more power to the PP people ....

+-ADT

Last edited by tegelad; Jun 19, 2013 at 8:48 am
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by 3card
Looks like I was wrong about that in any case, it is also waved for PP cardholders (for 2014).

As to where it causes a problem -- for those with millions of miles banked who aren't planning much/any _paid_ travel. I know, ultimate first-world problem!
but if you're not doing paid travel then you're not earning EQM and going for status anyway, so there's 0 segments on any airline...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by brarrr
but if you're not doing paid travel then you're not earning EQM and going for status anyway, so there's 0 segments on any airline...
Lots of FEQM from the PP card.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by 3card
Lots of FEQM from the PP card.
fair point. that's the spend of someone running a business i'd guess 'cause if you're blowing through >125k/yr as a portion of regular living expenses you probably just pay for 1st class anyway.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by brarrr
fair point. that's the spend of someone running a business i'd guess 'cause if you're blowing through >125k/yr as a portion of regular living expenses you probably just pay for 1st class anyway.
haha, yep, lots of business spending on the PP.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Note that the spend waiver with this card does nt apply to 1K.
yes... so I'll likely just dump 1K. Was going to dump the PP card as I have A3 Gold but might reconsider now. The question that I have now is that is it really worth paying UA prices for 75K to get platinum when I have gold for life as a 1MM. (It's not 25K more miles for me to go from gold to plat, it's 75K. For 1K is was arguably worth it but now it is highly questionable.) It might just make more sense to fly whoever is cheapest among AA and DL and credit to Alaska and to just fly United when it makes sense price wise.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Renard
yes... so I'll likely just dump 1K. Was going to dump the PP card as I have A3 Gold but might reconsider now. The question that I have now is that is it really worth paying UA prices for 75K to get platinum when I have gold for life as a 1MM. (It's not 25K more miles for me to go from gold to plat, it's 75K. For 1K is was arguably worth it but now it is highly questionable.) It might just make more sense to fly whoever is cheapest among AA and DL and credit to Alaska and to just fly United when it makes sense price wise.
I kept the PP card and while I lost my 1K I am very happy with Plat. No fees more than pays for the card cost. I can use the card for Business and earn enough Flex to keep me Plat. Remember if you use the flex on the first day of the new year then you get status for two years! My MM is the back up for retirement. Also as a MM, your spouse will get the Plat upgrade when you use the Flex points. I am certain there are a few former PP holders who are regretting their decision to drop the card.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:34 pm
Formerly known as mmihalik

Originally Posted by dcchili
... I am certain there are a few former PP holders who are regretting their decision to drop the card.
Yes, some were penny wise and pound foolish.

So glad I am able to keep my PP Card (that just doesn't sound right )

Thanks for the tip to wait until Jan 1 to apply the FPQM, hadn't thought of that. Have the MM status, and designated appropriately.

I've been happy with the frequency of upgrades.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by mmihalik
Yes, some were penny wise and pound foolish.

So glad I am able to keep my PP Card (that just doesn't sound right )

Thanks for the tip to wait until Jan 1 to apply the FPQM, hadn't thought of that. Have the MM status, and designated appropriately.

I've been happy with the frequency of upgrades.
OK, so I have the PP Card but had intended to switch to the new card (but I'm still trying to figure out if they will give Lifetime UC members the discounted $100 annual fee). Can someone please explain why I should not switch?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
Originally Posted by elitefreak
OK, so I have the PP Card but had intended to switch to the new card (but I'm still trying to figure out if they will give Lifetime UC members the discounted $100 annual fee). Can someone please explain why I should not switch?
FEQM for one thing. The other is that the PP Card is exempt from the PQD requirements starting next year. Other Chase cards require a 25K spend limit for the same exemption through Platinum status. There is no spend requirement for the PP Card through Platinum Status.

1K status is subject to PQD terms for all credit cards.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by elitefreak
The United Club Card does not give a break on the annual fee to Lifetime UC members.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by jlivengo
FEQM for one thing. The other is that the PP Card is exempt from the PQD requirements starting next year. Other Chase cards require a 25K spend limit for the same exemption through Platinum status. There is no spend requirement for the PP Card through Platinum Status.

1K status is subject to PQD terms for all credit cards.
FEQM isn't that valuable IMO anymore but they did add the exemption to Plat so I guess it equals out.

The Hyatt Plat + Avis Presidential status might be valuable depending on your travel habits. In my situation, I find Avis to be valuable but i'm a Hyatt Diamond so not much so (maybe in the future when I don't have the opportunity to stay at Hyatts as often).
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: United Gold
...Hyatt Plat + Avis Presidential...
Did not know these were perks of the card. Two more reasons I'm glad I didn't get rid of it.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by SS255
The United Club Card does not give a break on the annual fee to Lifetime UC members.
Why would they do this? It doesn't make sense to me.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold
FEQM isn't that valuable IMO anymore
Speak for yourself. It's immensely valuable to those of us who fly about 60-65K each year.

If you give up the card (and FEQM) you can never get it again. Unless you are pretty darn sure you're going to fly over 75K consistently, it's a good deal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.